starting strength gym
Page 2332 of 2422 FirstFirst ... 133218322232228223222330233123322333233423422382 ... LastLast
Results 23,311 to 23,320 of 24219

Thread: Joined a new gym last night. Hilarious

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    you know some one is gonna fix this for you, right ?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    "Ropes and rubbers"
    Last edited by neilc1; 07-27-2017 at 03:31 PM. Reason: bold, arn't i ?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    The talk will be whispered queries about you getting them some "supplements, you know, (wink, furtive glance around) supp-le-ments"
    I'm nowhere near that big though...

So today at the new office gym a dude dragged a step platform (dunno what to call 'em, those things they use in step aerobics classes where you can build them up as tall as you want?) into the squat rack to do rack pulls? I guess? His form wasn't bad but it was about a 1/4 range of motion. Then he did incline bench in the Smith machine with just the bar, and kept doing this circuit for like 10 minutes, until his buddy showed up and joined him.

They did go to 225lbs on the rack though.

It was bench day for me so I didn't care, and had a front-row (bench) seat to this show. But since they had 4 of the 6 45lb plates I had to use a pair of 35s and 10s along with the other 2 45s. Another gripe is that the plates don't all match. It looks like the Smith machine came with a set, and maybe the squat rack came with a set, and they're different plates, so one set is very thin and wide, and teh other set is blocky and smaller, and I can't tell (yet) from a distance which are which.

This gym is gonna be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by omaniphil View Post
    I actually saw somebody doing kettle bell swings while standing on a bosu ball yesterday. Thought that was just a silly thing people talk about when making fun of commercial gyms. Apparently not.
    I've been instructed to do these, as well as single leg rdls on a bosu, because I have a stability and glute imbalance and I'll never be able to squat and pull without injuring myself if I don't address those first.

Needles to say I've changed physio

Last night during my squat session, a gym-bro comes up to me and offers advice "hey man, I noticed something that could improve your squat. On your descent, you seem to be leading with you hips..." I cut him off and said "thanks for the compliment" and went back to squatting. Well that's not exactly how it went down, but I had to explain to him that that is actually on purpose. He didn't seem to get it.

No, you don't get it. Squats are for quads, for hamstring you ought to do leg curls and SLDL/RDL.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Treadmill 2.0
    Stepping with extreme layback is a step back.

Still recovering from shoulder dislocaiton and break, I'm finally back to the GloboCorpoGym in my office building. They have TRX and some dumbbells, so it's OK for now.

After yesterday's session, I noticed that there was a guy in the sinks-and-mirrors section of the locker room using the blow dryer. To dry his toes.

Tried to get a pick but I felt like the chic was eyeballing me a bit anytime I got into position. She was using the Smith machine as a leg press machine, laying on her back and pushing the bar with her overly cushioned running shoes. If there's a way to kill yourself in the Smith Machine, this might be it.

starting strength coach development program
    You are probably too young to know that once upon a time, there were vertical leg press machines that you laid down on the floor or platform on your back with your feet at a 90 degree angle pointed at the ceiling and in contact with the plate that was loaded with weight. Talk about back rounding hazards? Woof! They also had no safety stops, which most Smith machines do have.

Although both are bad ju-ju. It just so happens that Smith machines are not the worst.