Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast

Thread: Anyone smoke a pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Solid. Is it easy to change the attachments? Is the good power transmission from the engine to the attachment?
    Super easy. Loosen 1 knob; remove attachment, insert new attachment; tighten knob. At first it seemed too easy. I thought I was doing something wrong. But Stihl must employ some kick-ass engineers. The system is really amazing.

Power transmission is superb. The power head is a ~27cc, 800W 2-stroke. Ample power for most "suburban yard" type shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    I was attracted to "Tins" because they are sealed, can improve with age, and are the most consistent, anywhere in the world, more or less from year to year. Nightcap is as good of an example as their is.
    After reading this whole thread, I wanted to try the McClelland Samovar, but I couldn't find it stocked anywhere. One of the Frog Mortons seems like a good next step, that smoked tobacco smell is intoxicating.

And so begins your lifelong search for the perfect pipe ...
    I started with a corn cob and eventually splurged for a $20 pipe made of some kind of wood years ago. An entry level briar wood sounds like a good idea for Christmas this year.

I've purchased a number of cheap briars over the years. In my opinion, if you're going to go cheap, get a big cob. A big cop always beats a sub $70 briar IMO. Cheap briars tend to smoke wet and are difficult to keep lit. If you're going to spend some money (~$90), get a Stanwell. If you want to spend a lot of money, there's a big world of handmade pipes to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    I've purchased a number of cheap briars over the years. In my opinion, if you're going to go cheap, get a big cob. A big cop always beats a sub $70 briar IMO. Cheap briars tend to smoke wet and are difficult to keep lit. If you're going to spend some money (~$90), get a Stanwell. If you want to spend a lot of money, there's a big world of handmade pipes to explore.
    Used pipes can be great smokers and great value but I like breaking them in myself

Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    Used pipes can be great smokers and great value but I like breaking them in myself
    Yes, but used pipes have been a hit or miss for me (mostly miss). I bought a really nice used Castello, but whoever had it before me must have smoked straight latakia in it, because even after having it professionally cleaned it still tasted sour. Ended up letting pipestud ebay it off for me. But I've met a number of people who've had good experiences with used pipes.

I kind of enjoy the process of breaking in pipes. Though, I had a Peterson that never broke in, even after 20 bowls of Carter Hall smoked to ash in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Yes, but used pipes have been a hit or miss for me (mostly miss). I bought a really nice used Castello, but whoever had it before me must have smoked straight latakia in it, because even after having it professionally cleaned it still tasted sour. Ended up letting pipestud ebay it off for me. But I've met a number of people who've had good experiences with used pipes.

I kind of enjoy the process of breaking in pipes. Though, I had a Peterson that never broke in, even after 20 bowls of Carter Hall smoked to ash in it.
    I bought a birth year pipe (1962 yikes). It is made by Dunhill but was there low end label. This pipe is so light and smokes so well! It's fairly small and thin, so not my style. But it makes me feel very English.

For folks that like the hunt and the risk, this can be a sport unto itself.

I have a few used pipes, but my favorites are the ones I bought for a special occasion or during a certain period in my life. My taste must not be refined enough - I smoke everything in all my pipes, and haven't had any problems doing that. I smoke infrequently enough that i don't think it is a big problem, or I have not yet noticed it.

These sound like good tips- thanks. Truth be told, I probably would have gone with a <$70 briar wood if you guys hadn't warned me.

I have a few used pipes, but my favorites are the ones I bought for a special occasion or during a certain period in my life. My taste must not be refined enough - I smoke everything in all my pipes, and haven't had any problems doing that. I smoke infrequently enough that i don't think it is a big problem, or I have not yet noticed it.
    I have enough briars that I have them dedicated to either burley, virginia, vapers (VA/perique), or english blends (with latakia). You can get away with smoking most anything in a pipe, but a strong latakia blend always leaves a noticeable ghost. Cobs, meerschaum, and clay pipes can be enjoyable too.

A rare cool, rainy May evening in SoTex. Sitting on the porch with Netflix and a bowl of Dunhill Nightcap. Best bowl I've had in months. I had a beach weekend with some friends recently and smoked ~7 cigars in two days. It was pleasant and lazy but the flavor and smell isn't close. I need to pick a milestone and spring for a bigger, better briar than the cheapass Doc Grabow I have been smoking.

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast