Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys grind your hamburger meat?

Default How do you guys grind your hamburger meat?

I've seen several references to custom meat formulas, so I assume you guys are buying hunks and grinding yourself?

What do you use? Stand mixer grinder attachment? Food processor? Standalone? The Mother Bird method?

How coarse / fine do you go?

Details, people.

I use a food processor. I cut the meat into ~2x2x2 cubes; freeze the cubes for about 30 minutes, then use the standard food processor blade to chop the meat up.

It works pretty well. If I made burgers more than once a month, I'd probably get a meat grinder.

I used the food processor for years. It works fine. Recently acquired the meat grinder attachment for my stand mixer, though, and it works better. That said - it's also a slower process.

I use a stand mixer with the grinding attachment. If you grind the meat too fine the burgers will be too meal-y (obviously), so keep it coarser.

i like to, but don't often enough. When I do it's been 50/50 chuck and sirloin, ~2 inch cubes, for about 10 pulses in a regular food processor, sometimes working in batches depending on how much I'm making

I use a LEM #5 (I see no sense in screwing around with the Kitchen Aid mixer attachment, it's POS at best). I've ground 65#'s of pork and beef in a little over a half hour. Plus, it makes it easy to make linked sausage (Italian, Boerwors, Breakfast, Bangers, etc.) with some of it, patties with other portions, and plain old ground beef in 1lb increments. Making linked sausage adds about another hour or so, but it's worth it.

It's a hell of a lot easier pounding seasoned linked sausage than making something with ground beef (Shepard's pie, Chili, greenbeans & beef with black beans sauce over rice, etc.). With sausage it's 15mins to defrost in the sink (while the grill is warming up) and 10-20mins on the grill. Plenty of protein to toss in a salad, pile on top of some mashed tubers with gravy, or even a stew of white beans and sausage, with some kale tossed in for fiber. Easy peasy...

I started buying steak... sirloin mostly, but sometimes ribeye and fattier cuts... and having the butcher grind it for me at no extra charge - one of the best decisions I ever made. Steak burgers are the best. Tastes better than regular burgers and much easier to cook and store (this coming from someone who sucks at cooking steak).

I have a dedicated (small) grinder but the only time I make my own ground is for venison. I use about 50/60% venison, 40/30% pork but, and 10% bacon ends. I cube it, freeze it for a bit, grind it all coarse, mix it, and then grind it med/fine...

Though this last two years have been a dry spell for me, so no deerburgers lately...

It comes ground you idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    It comes ground you idiot
    Touche'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast