Page 376 of 659 FirstFirst ... 276326366374375376377378386426476 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,760 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yesterday.

Weight: 265.

OHP: Singles. 125-130-135-135-135-135-135-135-135-135.

TBDL: Singles. 268-278-288-298-308-318-328-338.

Hammer Curls: 3 sets of 8 with 80 lbs.

DB Crunches: 3 sets of 8 with 50 lbs.

Stretched. Session was 86 minutes burning 696 calories. Average HR was 112 bpm with a peak of 130.

Back to the mats. I have da boyz laying down and picking up the mats. Just a little old fashioned traditional kohei/sempei thing inherited from years of Japanese MA. I help them though. I also am working the kid from the last session into a teaching role bit by bit. Master Bellman always wanted to develop people into being able to teach if they got to be a black belt, and like most of his doctrine, I agree. They are progressing well, even the new kid. His dad and brother apparently do BJJ and the kid has some experience as a crash dummy for his brother, so I have that teaching to overcome. A good kid altogether.

During my shooting weekend I saw two NRA posters illustrating both levels of awareness and reactions to threat. So I cadged them from my old Sgt. because they fit Kane's levels as well and Kane was a strong influence on my own thoughts on self defense. One of the levels shows a guy drawing a pistol, which I elided from the poster with some markers and white out. Just to be safe though, I ran the posters by the boss-lady who took my proposal for the Jujitsu program and ultimately hired me to see if she had any problems with putting them up in the multi-use training room. I even made attribution to the source and my elisions. Did the same with the dad picking up one of the kids at the end. Both liked the posters and so I will put them up later.

Weight: 263.

Hip Belt Squat: Singles. 325-335-345-355-365-375-385-395-405-415. Astounding.

LTE: 3 sets of 8 with 85 lbs.

One Arm DB Rows: 3 sets of 8 with 70 lbs.

Stretched.

Weight: 264.

This was a planned deload week that kind of got over-enforced with a really inflamed right wrist that made gripping anything somewhere between impossible and exquisitely painful. So no lifting for me. Bummer. I haven't had it this bad in over 20 years. I believe it was a combination of push presses and 200 rounds of .45 being fired last week. All that weight and recoil being taken up by the wrist, thumb, and index fingers.

But my responsibilities teaching Jujitsu go on. Some really bad weather tonight and only one kid showed up. I taught him linear versus circular strikes and the counters for them. I tried using the focus mitts, but my wrist couldn't take the impact from even a middle schooler hitting them. A good session, even so.

More about Mark's excellent adventures in not lifting in order to spare his precious right wrist and thumb from preventing him from some of his other interests and pursuits.

The right wrist still feels a slight iffy on the underside of the forearm on the thumb side. So I tested it earlier in the week with some cardio intervals on the SciFit arm bike. No ill after effects, but I still (dammit!) felt some very low24 hours grade discomfort through the rest of the week. So I held off on the deload days.

BECAUSE

I am still catching up with relearning self taught skills. This weekend it was motorcycling. As I've said, I bought a Harley Sportster 48 and was advised by the oh-so-nice DMV ladies to take the SIU motorcycle safety course in lieu of the DMV test. Excellent course. I got 24 hours of classroom and a LOT of riding skills on a skid pad of training. I started riding at age 15 on a Yamaha 80cc bike. I rode intermittently until age 30 when we moved to SoCal. DB said no more of that with the bad driving so prevalent there. So we're talking several decades of gap in riding.

If you can, take such a course. I learned a lot with some excellent instruction. If my hand was boogered up none of this could happen, so I rested my hand whenever possible while waiting my turn in a riding drill by putting it in neutral and relaxing. I wasn't even the oldest person there. Another retired prison guard was 69. We both passed.

I'm going to try lifting again tomorrow.

I took the Univ of Illinois motorcycle safety training course (I'm sure it's pretty much the same as the SIU course) when I got into motorcycling 15 or so years ago. I agree it is an excellent course. Since then I went on to take the advanced course and other riding skills classes. I envy the roads you have done there as up here it is flat, straight and lots of traffic as you know. Other than around the Starved Rock area one needs to go to southwestern Wisconsin, southern Missouri/northern Arkansas for some fun riding. The past 3 years I've been down to western NC/eastern TN to ride Deal's Gap, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc. I've had a lot of fun with riding/motorcycling. Hope you do too.

Yeah, the U of I's course is the same as the SIU course. According to my Google-fu lookup anyway.

I have been scouting roads and fire trails here in the Shawnee National Forest and there are plenty of great rides here in my future. Or a sharp drop off of from a ridge line into weaving among tree trunks to save my ass.

Weight: 262.5.

OHP: 110 for 3 sets of 5.

TBDL: 268 for 3 sets of 5.

Hammer Curls: 85 for 3 sets of 8.

DB Crunches: 52 for 3 sets of 8.

Stretched. I discovered another possible source of my wrist problem. The new doorway stretch I introduced aggravates my wrist unless I rest my forearms against the frame instead of my hands. Because otherwise my wrists get bent backward. The right wrist and hand managed OK, although I could still feel a little strain.

Workout time was 58 minutes burning 431 calories. Avg. HR was 111 bpm @ 72% of MHR with a max HR of 134 bpm. Feeling good just now.

Weight: 260.

Cardio today on a Concept 2 rower. After that stretching in another area, where I saw someone using what had previously looked like an odd stairmaster. As it happened, it was a Jacob's Ladder, a piece of equipment I had never heard of before. So now I have another good thing to do HIIT on.

I picked up another student tonight. A neighbor lady who is a realtor and whose husband is part of the scotch and cigar club I am part of. We had talked before at social stuff and she had taken the Carbondale PD self defense course for women, but wanted some more hands-on training. As it happens, it appears that what she was taught by the PD was a little lacking. At least from her own account comparing what I taught her to what she learned there.

starting strength coach development program

Hip Belt Squats: Sets of 5: 335-345-355.

LTE: 85 for 3 sets of 8. I'm going to replace these with close grip incline presses.

One Arm DB Rows: 75 for 3 sets of 8.

Stretched. Session was 48 minutes and burned 406 calories. Avg. HR was 115 bpm @ 74% of MHR and max HR was 147 bpm @ 95% of MHR.

I scouted heretofore unexplored parts of the Rec Center and discovered some nautilus machines and some plate loading hammer strength pieces. Which is another great thing because I always liked their back equipment. It supports me at the chest and takes the weak link of my lower back entirely out of the equation. So this will replace DB rows.