Page 385 of 659 FirstFirst ... 285335375383384385386387395435485 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,850 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Weight: 261.

And the LISS just keeps on coming.

Another 21 minutes of movements at the chiro's this morning. Same general HR as before. The doc knows I teach Jujitsu and joshes me about trigger points on the neck and making me jump and twitch. To which I said, "Doc I can show you how to put someone under in 5 seconds or less." He laughed and then asked "How, with an RNC?" I explained the different techniques and he wanted a demonstration. So I put my forearm lightly across his trachea and then extended my arm so the crook of my elbow was aligned under his chin and squeezed lightly. Doc went, "Whoa! I could feel my vision greying out." A little surprising, given the very light touch I used, but some people are more susceptible than others. We both had a chuckle about the applications of our various arts. The healing and the non-therapeutic. Besides my back, he adjusted my thumb tendons and wrists both of which were bothering me.

Since the stuff at the doc's was a little short of the minimum recommended 30 minutes I got some more in at the Rec Center. Because of my hand problems, I avoided bag strikes and other hand intensive things. Session ran 30 minutes burning 216 calories with an average HR of 110 bpm @ 71% of MHR and a peak of 119 bpm. Since I had already stretched and foam rolled at the doc's, I decided to forego it again.

Weight: 262.

Hip Belt Squats: 335 lbs. for 3 sets of 5.

LTE: 85 lbs. for 3 sets of 8.

Hammer High Rows: 230 lbs. for 2 sets of 8.

Stretched and foam rolled. Session ran 54 minutes and burned 490 calories with an average HR of 119 bpm @ 77% of MHR.

Weight: 263.

Today was supposed to be a rest day. So I got on my Sportster and spent nearly an hour and a half on an aimless ride around the hilly, bendy, tree shrouded road around Lake Murphysboro and then ventured South and West into the roads of the Shawnee National Forest. This is ideal motorcycle country in spite of the winters that keep most bikers on 4 wheels then, rather than 2. I had to be alert and cautious on the curves. The trees make shadows that can hide things like turtles or branches in the road. The hills create some blind curves you don't know are there until you crest the summit and see a hairpin looming. Plus, the people who live along these roads have a tendency to drive fast. Gotta keep your wits about you. I am re-acquiring and trying to improve my long dormant riding skills. My vision and physical reaction time are as good as ever, but I have noticed my processing time is slowing down. Casualty of age, I suppose.

Just because I am a curious sort, I wore my HR monitor to see what the results were. Not too much to my surprise I discovered my average HR was 99 bpm @ 64% of MHR and burned 483 calories. What a win-win. Getting some LISS while having fun.

Weight: 264.

I did two rounds each of heavy bag strikes, arm bike (arms pedaling only), and face pulls interspersed with walking for an upper body emphasis. Then stretches and foam rolling. The session ran 33 minutes and burned 251 calories with an average HR of 112 bpm @ 72% of MHR and a peak of 126 bpm.

In other news, I got my CCW from the state yesterday. Since no guns are allowed on campus, I have some fancy footwork to do. Also, I need to find a good IWB carry.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 07-16-2017 at 01:35 PM.

IWB: Translation from the American, Inside the Waist Band holster for concealed carry. Found one today at Rural King. Bianchi. Been making good product since the 70's.

As for the diaphragm. I was surprised to learn this myself. The diaphragm mostly aids in breathing but it also plays a role in the core and spinal alignment of the lumbars. It attaches at L3.
    If the diaphragm is tight, it can pull the lower lumbars (L4 and L5) out of alignment. It hurts, but it works. I'll take the short term discomfort of around 60 seconds for relief of the lower back for the rest of the day.

Weight: 264.5.

Push Press: 120 lbs. for 3 sets of 5.

High Pulls: 145 lbs. for 3 sets of 3.

Cable Rotations: 70 lbs. for 3 sets of 8.

External Rotations: 40 lbs. for 3 sets of 8.

Stretched. Session ran 51 minutes and burned 509 calories with an average HR of 126 bpm @ 81% of MHR and a peak HR of 139 bpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    IWB: Translation from the American, Inside the Waist Band holster for concealed carry. Found one today at Rural King. Bianchi. Been making good product since the 70's.

As for the diaphragm. I was surprised to learn this myself. The diaphragm mostly aids in breathing but it also plays a role in the core and spinal alignment of the lumbars. It attaches at L3.
    If the diaphragm is tight, it can pull the lower lumbars (L4 and L5) out of alignment. It hurts, but it works. I'll take the short term discomfort of around 60 seconds for relief of the lower back for the rest of the day.
    Hmm, maybe the belt can aid those L4-L5. Anyway I wonder what Idea evolution has with that?

Quote Originally Posted by 57bergstrm View Post
    Hmm, maybe the belt can aid those L4-L5. Anyway I wonder what Idea evolution has with that?
    Yeah, when the weight gets heavy I use a belt for OHP's, push presses, and deadlifts.

Weight: 264.

Had a session today using the rower, armbike, elliptical with handles, and stationary bike. 30 minues burning 201 calories with an averafge HR of 107 bpm @ 69% of MHR and a peak of 17 bpm. Modulating this down better now.

I didn't stretch since I had a session with the chiro this afternoon and would get run through their routine of warmups, stretches, and foam rolling. Got 17 minutes worth of LISS there too.

Jujitsu is completely in a state of confusion. The park district's brochure has it ended when in fact it will end August 2. I got an email while waiting for no shows in the room from the programs director. So I squared it all away at the desk, went home, and emailed the correct timeline to my students.

starting strength coach development program
    Weight: 263.

Upper body emphasis session today. Heavy bag, arm bike arms only, with medicine ball tosses interspersed with walking and stretches. Lotta spiked HR's. Session ran 30 minutes burning 251 calories with an average HR of 114 bpm @ 74% of MHR and a peak of 125 bpm.