starting strength gym
Page 142 of 384 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192242 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 3831

Thread: Puttering along

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Dan John tells a story in Never Let Go about doing a weight close to that for 33 reps. He arrived at the conclusion that you could always do one more rep, if you really wanted to.
    I can't disagree with with that conclusion at all.

Clearly Oldster cared about it more than Dan John.
    Pride, my man card and $3 were on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by bob g View Post
    He must be one of the thickest guys around if he makes you look small.
    He gives 'thick' a new meaning, Bob.

Had to lift alone today, turns out my partner was chosen for jury duty. The accused was a Lib so my partner voted to burn him at the stake. JOKING! The guy was convicted of indecent exposure, he exposed himself to a good friend of ours!

18" Thickbar Close grip + chains
    100x10
    190x12
    190+chains x7
    275+chains x3
    275+chains x3
    275+chains x3
    275+chains x3
    275+chains x3
    DB Military
    45'sx12
    60'sx12
    65'sx12
    65'sx12
    Ab Wheel
    10 kneeling
    8 standing

Everything felt good, felt light. Done in 30 minutes.

I only use the thick bar for overhead pressing, but it feels like it forces a wider grip. Have you ever experienced this?

I rarely use the thickbar for the OHP, but in benching it does force me to go a bit wider than my normal 16" close grip, to an 18' for a close grip, Hammie.

The thickbar forces me a little further out of my groove than I've comfortable with when pressing. It is kind of fun to use for DL's, though it works the grip more than usual.

Oldster, I am working on rebuilding my squat after realizing I had horrendous form and that my poor form was preventing my squat from going up. I have mostly straightened out my form after some months of work, but I still have a tendency for my chest to cave a bit on the ascent. I am thinking it the chest cave is a result of pathetically weak abs because the chest cave only shows up once I start to get into semi-heavy weights.

What do you think, and what would you do to strengthen the abs for maintaining back angle in the squat?

Have you been doing any front squatting, MW? I'm a big fan of FS's to help keep the upper body from caving. If you break form even a little, you'll lose a heavy front squat.

But if you have weak abs, strengthening them will certainly help everything, from squats and deads to OHP's.

Its funny you mention this. Just the other day trying to coach my partner along with making some ab wheel progress and watching him make it look hard, my question to him was why can I do ab wheels standing and yet few others seem to be able to. His answer was my already strong abs from squatting. He is absolutely certain that squatting strengthened my abs. I have no idea if he is right, but it is as good an explanation as any.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Have you been doing any front squatting, MW? I'm a big fan of FS's to help keep the upper body from caving. If you break form even a little, you'll lose a heavy front squat.

But if you have weak abs, strengthening them will certainly help everything, from squats and deads to OHP's.

Its funny you mention this. Just the other day trying to coach my partner along with making some ab wheel progress and watching him make it look hard, my question to him was why can I do ab wheels standing and yet few others seem to be able to. His answer was my already strong abs from squatting. He is absolutely certain that squatting strengthened my abs. I have no idea if he is right, but it is as good an explanation as any.
    Last time I front squatted on the regular was in 2010, so no I haven't been doing them, although looking back they seemed to help my deadlift and squat form a bit. I am thinking of adding some BB roll outs at the end of each workout to work on strengthening my abs since my gym does not have an ab wheel.

Give front squats a try, MW. You may be pleasantly surprised and really pleased!

As for ab wheel work, just go to WalMart and pick up a $9.95 model or Target and pick up the $14.95 model. Worth every dime.

Had to lift alone today, turns out my partner was chosen for jury duty. The accused was a Lib so my partner voted to burn him at the stake. JOKING! The guy was convicted of indecent exposure, he exposed himself to a good friend of ours!

18" Thickbar Close grip + chains
    100x10
    190x12
    190+chains x7
    275+chains x3
    275+chains x3
    275+chains x3
    275+chains x3
    275+chains x3
    DB Military
    45'sx12
    60'sx12
    65'sx12
    65'sx12
    Ab Wheel
    10 kneeling
    8 standing

Everything felt good, felt light. Done in 30 minutes.
    That's a pretty quick and heavy workout for 30 minutes! So is that a total of 275+chains for five sets of three, right?

starting strength coach development program
    Give front squats a try, MW. You may be pleasantly surprised and really pleased!

As for ab wheel work, just go to WalMart and pick up a $9.95 model or Target and pick up the $14.95 model. Worth every dime.
    Mosin Warrior - I started front squats and ab wheel rollouts for the same reason you're thinking about doing them. I think they have helped me tremendously. I bought the Target wheel.