starting strength gym
Page 192 of 384 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242292 ... LastLast
Results 1,911 to 1,920 of 3831

Thread: Puttering along

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
    Toniy: diagnosing over the Interwebz is difficult, but what you describe is consistent with a muscle tear.
    Finally a chance to help Oldster for all the great info he's provided on this thread...

He asked me to upload his T-shirt images -- Baby Bear and Papa Bear -- so they're attached here at 10 percent of original resolution...
    First of all.... oh my jesus christ, those t-shirts... that... I don't. I can't even say words at it.

Amazing : D

As for diagnosis... let's try it anyway! ; )

Due to a shitty living arrangement, I spent virtually 2 weeks on my back, almost as if I were a bed-ridden hospital patient.

It happened once before, staying at that place for a couple of weeks brought on a dull ache... but this time it brought on a full blown seizing.

I could feel it coming on gradually over a couple of days, but one morning it just hit me full on, no gradual increase... like going from 2 to 10 overnight.

Bending in any direction hurt enormously. Standing upright simply ached. Occasional throbbing, occasional spasming... all focused at the base of the spine.

I asked someone to see if they could feel a lump (I feared disc issues) and they said there was, but it felt soft and muscular.

It's 97% better now... I'm still aware that it's a bit 'tight', and it took around 2-3 weeks to get to this stage.

Have at it Tits : D

(that felt affectionate in my head but on paper it just doesn't seem so much... I won't use it again)
    Last edited by Toniy; 01-08-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Finally a chance to help Oldster for all the great info he's provided on this thread...

He asked me to upload his T-shirt images -- Baby Bear and Papa Bear -- so they're attached here at 10 percent of original resolution...

Attachment 2933
    Where did you get that image of the jacked up bear bench pressing? Did you create that?

Also, maybe even make that baby bear more humiliating. But a pacifier in his mouth, a diaper on him, and a bow in his hair. lol.

With Oldster's 400+ benching, it's tough to imagine him max-benching "only" in the upper 200s.
    Oh, believe me! I vividly remember lifting at a HS gym for some reason years ago when the football team came in. I was struggling with 155x5 and here were these HS kids handling 225x5. It was a bit eye opening for me. It lit a fire under my butt..

Thank you, Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by DRice311 View Post
    Also, a spot on description of the journey in trying to add lbs to your bench. I am in the middle of that brutal stretch - and am trying everything I can think of.
    It is a tough stretch, isn't it Dana? I always hesitate to mention how tough the journey is between 315 to 350 and then 350 to 400, to the younger or beginners who are struggling to get to 250lbs. It is usually tougher and tougher and tougher to add strength the stronger we get. Thankfully there are those times in between where all the sudden everything 'clicks' for a few cycles, a few months absolute bliss! Those times are few and far between so that is why I ask lifters who are in that little window to milk it for everything possible. It may be a long time before you feel it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Toniy View Post

Also - Serious Question - Have you ever looked into foam rolling?
    A Doctor friend (chiropractor) got me started using tennis balls in the bottom of a sock about 25 years ago, Toni. It works pretty well for me though fairly painful.

Quote Originally Posted by DRice311 View Post
    Where did you get that image of the jacked up bear bench pressing? Did you create that?
    No, I didn't create it, I found it in a local awards/Tshirt company catalog along with the baby bear!

Also, maybe even make that baby bear more humiliating. But a pacifier in his mouth, a diaper on him, and a bow in his hair. lol.
    Heh, you are describing exactly what I was looking for! The problem is, I will be taking my own turn wearing the baby bear shirt in the not too distant future..... You guys gotta understand, this guy that I lift with, battle with and cheer for, is a bench pressing giant. 5'9", 275lbs, most of which is in his upper body as he has sticks for legs, but 20"+ upper arms. People joke to him that he needs to learn to walk on his hands because his arms are bigger than his legs! Shoot, he has a near 60" chest! I like to make a joke that I am a tall lean beanpole next to him, but it really isn't that far fetched....sigh... So these times I am ahead of him are few and far between so I like to make hay while the sun shines!

Quote Originally Posted by jon cowie View Post
    I was going to suggest altering it so the baby bear is sucking his thumb with his pants round his ankles (like private pile). Alas, it appears that isn't such a good idea!
    Only if I wish to become very comfortable with him on a shirt that I have to wear on a regular basis! heh!

Did you by any chance get the Baby Bear shirt in a suitable size for a 60" chest and the Papa Bear shirt too small for a 60" chest?

Did you by any chance get the Baby Bear shirt in a suitable size for a 60" chest and the Papa Bear shirt too small for a 60" chest?
    Don't think I didn't consider that, Peter! I actually thought about making him a Papa Bear 'crop top'!

But I chickened out, I wanted to make sure all this money was well spent so I bought us individual shirts, for him 4X T shirts and just little ol' 2X for me...

No squatting or deadlifting today. Chiropractor said that my sacrum was scrunched (my word!) into my illiac and things are swollen down there so here I sit with ice. Wife seems to be coming down with what I battled, figures now that I'm finally starting to feel substantially better. She came home from school sick and called for a sub to take her place tomorrow.

I guess I'll get restarted with squats'n'deads next week!

Take it easy, Oldster! Chill with the ice and live to lift another day. Strong as you are, you'll be back in short order, man.

Hey thanks Oldman. Since I've been sitting around all day I ended up ording this: http://www.americanknifeandsword.com...FUlxQgodTzEApw Plus a few other things like this: http://www.americanknifeandsword.com...hawk-90rh.html

Then I put my mountainman credit card away and told myself to knock it off! Especially since my new fangled 'possibles bag' came today and I started playing with it.... http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tapuputshho.html Heh!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    No squatting or deadlifting today. Chiropractor said that my sacrum was scrunched (my word!) into my illiac and things are swollen down there so here I sit with ice. Wife seems to be coming down with what I battled, figures now that I'm finally starting to feel substantially better. She came home from school sick and called for a sub to take her place tomorrow.

I guess I'll get restarted with squats'n'deads next week!
    Feel better - that also goes for the wife. How did you scrunch/tweak your sacrum?