starting strength gym
Page 349 of 384 FirstFirst ... 249299339347348349350351359 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,490 of 3839

Thread: Puttering along

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Since I can't edit, I meant another four or five half finished, another 16-17 finished.

I 'spose by then, I'll have another ten novels, I seem to be rather prolific, putting out a 110,000 word novel in 6-9 weeks.That's great, Oldster. I hope you find a good agent, and that you'll let us know when your novels come out. I might have to send you a fresh-frozen liver to celebrate!

Oops--forgot to put quotes around in that last post and I don't see any option to edit it.

Quote Originally Posted by codger View Post
    That's great, Oldster. I hope you find a good agent, and that you'll let us know when your novels come out. I might have to send you a fresh-frozen liver to celebrate!
    Finding an agent is almost an impossibility. Less than 1/2 of 1% will ever be picked up. If nothing else, I'm having great fun. Perhaps the coolest part was after my wife read one. She was in tears, not only unable to believe her husband wrote it, but that he was so romantic!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Ab wheel
    15 kneeling
    1 standing
    What is the secret for progressing from kneeling Ab wheel to standing?

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    What is the secret for progressing from kneeling Ab wheel to standing?
    They are about a bazillion times harder, until you've done them. Here is what I wrote for Yoda.
    I personally believe a ramp holds lifters back, Yoda. I've watched a lot try to make gains that way but it almost never works.

My standing reps came after about 18 months of working up to a couple sets of 50. One on Monday, the other on Friday. Even that was pretty easy, taxing, but still easy. Too many sessions per week were the killer for me. Finally I told my lifting partner to back away and cover his face, I was going to try one standing. When you stand at the top of your first attempt to see how bad it'll be, I assumed guts would splatter our weight room.

Lo and behold, I was able to control myself to within about 8" of the floor before I collapsed, keeping most of my guts inside. The lightbulb popped on and I started doing just one negative after my regular set. Then came the day I could finally control myself to the floor. After that, I added a second and third, continuing for a few more months.

Then one day I was feeling a bit frisky and told Baby Bear to look out, blood'n'guts were going to drip from the ceiling and walls. I was going to use momentum and bounce hard enough from the floor to get a bit of rebound. I was determined! An odd thing happened, knowing I was committed, I actually controlled myself to the floor and made the turnaround, coming back up. Well, hell, if I can do one, I can always add another later! Sure enough, over the months, going slow and easy, I made it up to 15 standing, without a break, on Monday.

Fridays I did something different and played with decline(?) ab wheels. I brought a 2"x12"x8' board in and set one end up on two 45 lb rubber bumper plates, making it about 8" off the ground. Yeah, it doesn't sound like much, but standing on it with a wheel in my hand, it looked like straight frickin' down! Eventually I would use Fridays for only 5 on the decline and anywhere from 6 to 15 on the flat wheel day.

Hope I've helped! Can't wait until I build back up again. Slow and smart wins the race.

Nope, not famous, skid. I've written about sixteen-seventeen novels now, with four or five half-finished, of between 94,000 and 166,000 words. Well over two million words now. My stories are thrillers combined with romantic suspense. So far just about everyone has loved them, from 16 year old girls, to middle aged and old folks of other sexes. It's pretty fun and exciting to build worlds.

Right now I'm trying to hook an agent. My editor, a crusty old mid-70s kind of guy, retired military and college English professor, tells me to hold out for one from a good agency, but I'm becoming frustrated with the whole process. AT this point, I'm willing to settle for any. We're on book III of a family saga while I finish book four. Almost a half-million words between them. After these are done, I have another 14 we'll need to go through and edit. I 'spose by then, I'll have another ten novels, I seem to be rather prolific, putting out a 110,000 word novel in 6-9 weeks.
    You're a damn Renaissance Man! Is there anything you don't do Oldster?

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    Is there anything you don't do Oldster?

?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post

?
    No, no, no. We've already established that Oldsters drug of choice is raw liver, fresh from the kill.

Though he probably writes songs as well as JJ Cale, and plays guitar as well as Clapton.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    No, no, no. We've already established that Oldsters drug of choice is raw liver, fresh from the kill.

Though he probably writes songs as well as JJ Cale, and plays guitar as well as Clapton.
    No, no cocaine for me! Nor do I write songs or play the guitar well, but I used to sing in a group, lead for a quartet and tenor in a very large men's a Capella group! Won a few contests, too!

Man, exhausted today. Split and stacked two cords of wood over the weekend. It was a test for my reconstructed triceps tendon, some of the wood was pretty thick, up to 3' across. A mix of fir and hemlock. I was a tuckered feller after finishing. I use an old axe instead of a maul, because of how well it does. I've used it over 30 years, replacing the handle once in all those years. I found the axe head in an old house I bought when tearing down the woodshed. It was buried deep inside the bark.

Close grip bench
    140x12
    240x10
    275x5 sets of 7
    Military press
    115x10
    135x10
    Ab wheel
    15 kneeling
    5 standing

Didn't do my heavier OHP set, nor my curls. But my belly is now full of tacos...