starting strength gym
Page 82 of 384 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast

Thread: Puttering along

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by michael dowling View Post
    my wife being the great person she is took the baby downstairs and I slept from 10:30 PM - 7:00 AM for the first time in weeks, it felt like I closed my eyelids and it was 7:00 AM but man did that sleep feel good.
    Awesome! Isn't it nice to wake up and actually feel refreshed.......

I'm so happy that your hammy's all better, Oldster! Good luck with the new program...you're not only strong, but a programming master too :-)

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better.

I pulled a hamstring once. After about three weeks it was good. It hasn't ever bothered me again. It was a booger at first, though.

Thanks guys! I've been experiencing a lot of worry over this. I'm glad to see it isn't as bad as I thought, or more correctly, feared. Kinda feel like I have a fighting chance again!

I'm doing sets of the DB Pullover & Press wrong - I was resting almost a minute between sets. Will remedy this excessive resting. Besides wearing out my triceps, they do a wonder on my hands.

Glad you're feeling better Oldster. I don't know if it will happen again, but since it happened once, it may repeat. I'd suggest to warm up properly, maybe doing some light back squats, or romanian deadlifts at the beginning of the workout, just to send some blood in the hamstring area.

That is some great advice, Leonidas. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Since I've never really been injured before, I just assumed that there would be some pain, that it would lessen from week to week as long as I didn't do anything dumb. Tell me, is this going to be an area that reinjures easily again? Or is there just no telling?
    Well, I am in the unfortunate situation that I am good at accruing injuries. Overuse injuries, acute injuries, injuries from accidents all sorts of stuff.

I've had two muscle tear injuries that I can recall: My quads, as mentioned, which disappeared in literally a week or two, and intercostal tear which I think I healed in 2-3 weeks, working out but belting all my sets.

In both cases I've never, ever felt anything from that area again. The intercostal I pulled 5 years ago and the quads was probably a bit more than a year ago.

So, like Tad, my experience is that muscle pulls and tears do not increase the chance of the same area causing problems, thereby being completely different from overuse injuries.

EDIT: That said, the Spartan gives good advice. If nothing else, it will increase your confidence to warm the area up with a bit of extra effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Danish Viking View Post
    So, like Tad, my experience is that muscle pulls and tears do not increase the chance of the same area causing problems, thereby being completely different from overuse injuries.

EDIT: That said, the Spartan gives good advice. If nothing else, it will increase your confidence to warm the area up with a bit of extra effort.
    Thats good stuff, DV. I just got back from a Doc appointment and he told me the same thing. He also said to make sure, as has been mentioned here to warm up. Something I've always done but now I'll do even more.

Thanks guys. It is really appreciated.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    He also said to make sure, as has been mentioned here to warm up. Something I've always done but now I'll do even more.
    With your experience, I'm sure you'll figure this out yourself, but you shouldn't let a one-off event change the way you work out completely. Warm up some more for a while, definitely, but don't let a silly hamstring tear change your setup.

I.e. after my intercostal (which hurt like a BITCH) I would do highrep situps for warmup, Starr-style, to make sure it didn't recur. I stopped that after a few months, and it's now 5 years, and I never, ever felt anything from that area again. At all.