starting strength gym
Page 91 of 384 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast

Thread: Puttering along

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    ...but that....is awesome. Remind me to stay away from your chicken pen!
    As long as you aren't real close to the ground, hairy...........oh, what am I saying? OK, on 4 legs with a tail, long sharp teeth, you are 'probably' OK!

Quote Originally Posted by JM3 View Post
    Hope you feel better oldster- Ive never had bone spurs but 'treated' plenty of them. They seem awful.
    Thanks, JM. Exactly how do you 'treat' a bone spur?

I hope you feel better, I'm sure you'll get through this as well. Living will put some wear and tear on your body for sure. You seem to be managing it pretty damned well, all things considered.

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. You can beat this S#$T. Look it in the eye and smile.

Because you are the baddest MF in the Valley.

Thanks guys! This dope they have me on is really kicking some butt and making my knee feel much better. Better enough that I went down to town a piddled around in the weight room.

I am a bencher that really gets into a good arch and pushes with everything I have. So you can imagine how today was .......odd..... in that I didn't use my legs, I laid them out in front of the bench nice and relaxed. There was no concentration on the actual lifting but instead concentrating on complete relaxation of everything from my sternum down! Weird feeling.

Close grip bench
    140x12
    240x12
    290x5 sets of 6
    Dips
    BWx4 sets of 20
    Chins
    BWx7

My lats and upper back were surprisingly tired from the dips I guess. 7 reps were tough enough I just stopped. Dips were shockingly easy though I haven't dipped in quite a few months. Benches were .......strange....
    Last edited by Oldster; 05-03-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Strong upper body bro benching! So glad you were able to get that in...must feel good :-)

It felt VERY good Steve, but like I said, odd in that there was no balancing with my legs, no pushing with my legs, just push with my triceps alone. There was a little balancing problem toward the end of a couple of the sets and on my 5th and last set I actually did a 7th rep that I lost my balance enough that it made my lifting partner start to stand up and move toward me! But this will be a fun time I think, turning these close grips into a bit more of a power movement instead of an explosive movement. I ribbed my partner that when my knee heals up any new strength I may have built will become a problem for his 420 bench compared to my 410 close grip bench....!

What really caught me offguard was the strength and power in my dipping even after 31 reps with 290 in my close grip with very little rest. Granted, 80 reps over 4 sets really isn't that much but the ease of it was a bit disconcerting.

Yep, feelin' good!

Good to hear. That's a pretty good bench anyhow, all things considered, and a boatload of dips.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Thanks, JM. Exactly how do you 'treat' a bone spur?
    In my case, they took a dremel to the bone and ground it down. Otherwise, they just do therapy.

BTW, be careful w/your knee. Just because corticosteroids make your knee feel better, doesn't mean it is better.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks DV.

John, that is good to know about taking 'care' of a bone spur. I'm not looking forward to the future dealing with them.

I am concerned about my knee feeling better. I am one who pushes a bit harder than I should, hell, who am I kidding, a LOT harder than I should. I'm going to do my absolute best, should I stay pain free when these corticosteroids are all gone, to hold back as long as I can and slowly start squatting/deadlifting. How WILL I know its better?
    Last edited by Oldster; 05-04-2012 at 12:33 PM.