starting strength gym
Page 1 of 384 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Puttering along

Default Puttering along

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, I'm new to SS. I've been reading through the site and decided as an 'Oldster' to try posting an online log.

To start out I'm moving very quickly toward 60 years old with about 20 years of training under my belt using just a few exercises that I like and seem to fit me. 40 years ago I broke my back at L4 and so movements like a BLDL, cleans or back squats cause back pain to flare up quickly. I'm retired which helps with lifting gains and I'm still making strength gains to this day.

I've never cared for a standard bench press so I close grip instead (16" grip). Dips also suit me but I've never really pushed them hard as I tend to just lose interest in them. DB benching is something I really enjoy along with using DB's for overhead work. Front squats instead of backsquats don't cause any pain so I push them hard for about 9 months of the year. A TBDL instead of a BLDL. 1 arm rows and chins, occasionally some hammer curls and or EZ bar curls. Lots of work injuries over the years limit my choice of movements.

I tend to not perform many movements during a workout nor per cycle. I focus on just a few per day, 3 or 4 days per week. In my current cycle, Mondays I DB bench and 1 arm row, using the same DB's as I only have 1 pair of adjustable 'bells and hate to constantly change the weights except weekly. Right now while the weights are light I'm working high(er) reps, 4 sets of 15 for both movements. Wednesdays I Close Grip 5 sets of 5 and then work up to 1 heavy set of 3-5 in the Front Squat. Fridays I dip 3 to 5 heavy (for me) top singles and then Strictly Military Press a top set of 10 reps followed by 10 seconds rest and get 5 more. I sometimes finish off with a set of heavy curls.

Though I haven't had my height measure in decades rather than just years, I will list my height as what it used to be, 5'11". My BW is around 240lbs. I'll try and post more when I have time.

Thanks, Oldster

Lifted @ 6 a.m.--6th week of cycle.

Db Bench-after warmups 112'sx 4 sets of 15. Military-165x10 after warmups. Chins-10.

Lifted @ 6 a.m.

Front squat--up to 335x3. Hammer curls--up to 60'sx3 sets of 12.

Keeping both movements at the same weight until they feel easier and then start easing on up again.

Oldster

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Lifted @ 6 a.m.

Front squat--up to 335x3. Hammer curls--up to 60'sx3 sets of 12.

Oldster
    Strong !

Thanks ColoWayno! I'm trying to get back into good front squatting strength to make my run at a 405x1 but am too busy until the 1st of the year to really start my push.

Lifted @ 6 a.m.

Close grip--320 for 3 sets of 5, then 335x1 & 350x1 paused, working on starting strength. Chins 3 sets of 8

Oldster

Good lifting there, Oldster, especially the presses and bench presses. Good to have another silverback around to keep the kid primates in line. Glad you could keep up the squats with your back as you have. My own is just old and tired, without the injury you got, but I haven't got the nerve to get under the bar for a back squat these days. Ironically, I feel safer doing a deadlift because I can always let go to bail from it if I need to.

Thanks Mark!

Back squats just hurt though I have performed them for stretches where they were tolerable and worked up to some fairly heavy weights. Front squats however just seem to fit me better as it is rare that they cause any discomfort. Talking about nerve, I do NOT have the nerve anymore to attempt a BLDL. If anything hurts more than a back squat, the dead is it. TBDL is fairly tolerable however.

Dips
    BWx2 sets of 10
    25#x10
    50#x10
    90#x5

Military
    145x5
    190x5

Curls
    100x5
    120x5
    150x5

Oldster

Lifted @ 6 a.m.--7th week of cycle.

Db Bench-after warmups 115'sx 3 sets of 15. Military-165x10 after warmups. Chins-10.

starting strength coach development program
    This is a seriously impressive log.

Page 1 of 384 1231151101 ... LastLast