• starting strength seminar october 2024
    Workout 55 - Monday - 06.12.17;

Kneeling Land Mine Press - 150 X 3 X 3;
    DB BP, Neutral Grip - 100's X 11,8,6;
    Face Pulls - Purple Band - 15 X 4;
    Triceps Ladder - 6 sets - 115 reps total;
    McGill Situps - 18 X 2;

Duration - 46 minutes;

Comments - Land Mine Press is deceivingly difficult. I was a little disappointed with my numbers on the DB bench, but I was only off by one rep (last set is AMRAP). Tricep ladder is a freaking killer, but I was able to complete 10 more reps (actually 15, as I inadvertently lost count) for 6 "sets" up the rack. I'm sure I'll be sore for three days like last week...

Finally, I was able to convince my wife to get the Duffalo bar. I ordered it over the weekend - they had free shipping and 10% off. I had to sell my shotgun, but seeing as I had shot it less than 25 times in 4 years, it is not that big of a loss. I'm really excited for it to come in as my left shoulder has not liked squatting for quite some time. I don't have any soreness or pain during benching, only during LBBS. So, seeing as I'm not getting any younger, and will hit the big 4-0 next year, I'm preparing for the long haul of lifting.

That's a big deal to trade a shotgun for a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    That's a big deal to trade a shotgun for a bar.
    It actually wasn't a trade. I sold my shotgun back and made more than I originally paid for it, which covered the cost of the bar and then some. Sorry if my post didn't make sense.

06.15.17 - Workout 56 - Thursday - DL

285 X 1 X 5;
    DL - 430 X 5,3,1;
    Suitcase DL - 190 X 3/3 X 3;
    Pendlay Rows - 220 X 5 X 3;

Duration - 73 minutes;

Comments - was out of town for this workout. 430 felt strong...and I think that is a new 5RM for my DL. I still think it is a pathetic number, though...grip was nearly giving out on last set of suitcase DL's. Pendlay rows were fine.

06.17.17 - Saturday - BP - Workout 57;

Paused BP - 315 X 1; 335 X 1; 355 X 0 - fail;
    BP - 280 X 4;
    CGBP - 270 X 1,3,4;
    Reverse Band Rows w bar on Bench - Green Bands X 8 X 4;
    Chins - BW - 10,8,6;
    Hammer Curl 5+5's each hand - 15 X 4;
    Plank - BW X 30 secs X 2;

Duration - 86 minutes;

Comments - I'm really disappointed with the last paused bench single - it wasn't even close. Same goes for the set of 280 - I was to get 10 and barely got 4 reps. I'm not sure what happened except for chalking it up to drinking too much the night prior and/or not having enough to eat that morning prior?? I made sure I rested long enough between the sets...it was frustrating, though.

06.19.17 - Monday - Squat - Workout 58;

Hatfield Overload Squat (SSB) - 380 X 3; 425 X 3; 455 X 3;
    Dead Squat - 2" above parallel - 330 X 1 X 6;
    Nordic Curls - BW X 6 X 3;
    Land Mines - 50 X 6/6 X 3;

Duration - 57 minutes;

Comments - I'm pretty happy with my progress on the overload squats - they are definitely heavy, but I know it will help me move more weight in the future on LBBS. The dead squats were killers. I did the first three reps without pushing/using my hands for extra leverage. I was shaking as I made the reps. The last three were brutal, but I decided to "cheat" a little with a bit of a push off of my knees in the start position. They are so much tougher than the first exercise. Everything else was not too bad. It was extremely humid in the garage as I had the door open and a major downpour occurred outside. I'm much happier with this workout as compared to Saturday...probably should lay off the bourbon a bit on the weekends.

06.22.17 - Thursday - Secondary Bench/Triceps - workout 59

Kneeling Landmine Press - 150 X 4 X 3;
    DB BP, Neutral Grip - 100s X 12/12, 8/8, 7/7;
    Face Pulls w/purple band (approx 50 lbs per arm/shoulder) - 15 X 4;
    Triceps Ladder - 120 reps - 6 sets - what a killer...
    McGill Situps - BW X 18 X 2;

Duration: 47 minutes;

Comments - I was booking it on this workout. The kneeling part of the LM press helps to remove any leverage advantages one would have standing. It makes it quite a bit tougher. I was happy to hit my prescribed reps on the DB BP. Triceps ladder was a killer - as always - and I was able to get it done on 6 sets. I'd have to look back to take a guess at the time it required to complete. My triceps were so fried after I finished...I could barely support my bodyweight when I sat down to take off my shoes. It was really pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster103 View Post
    06.17.17 - Saturday - BP - Workout 57;

Paused BP - 315 X 1; 335 X 1; 355 X 0 - fail;
    BP - 280 X 4;
    CGBP - 270 X 1,3,4;
    Reverse Band Rows w bar on Bench - Green Bands X 8 X 4;
    Chins - BW - 10,8,6;
    Hammer Curl 5+5's each hand - 15 X 4;
    Plank - BW X 30 secs X 2;

Duration - 86 minutes;

Comments - I'm really disappointed with the last paused bench single - it wasn't even close. Same goes for the set of 280 - I was to get 10 and barely got 4 reps. I'm not sure what happened except for chalking it up to drinking too much the night prior and/or not having enough to eat that morning prior?? I made sure I rested long enough between the sets...it was frustrating, though.
    How hard did you grind the 355? I know if I really grind a rep, and then miss, I'm kind of spent for everything else. I could definitely see that causing the poor performance on the 280. Now, why you didn't get the 355? It's probably the lack of food and maybe poor sleep the night before.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygerqb12 View Post
    How hard did you grind the 355? I know if I really grind a rep, and then miss, I'm kind of spent for everything else. I could definitely see that causing the poor performance on the 280. Now, why you didn't get the 355? It's probably the lack of food and maybe poor sleep the night before.
    I didn't grind it out too much, but I probably had the bar about 2-3" off my chest for 5 or so seconds...it is one of those reps where you know there is no way in hell your body will make the lift.

280 is likely a combo of fatigue from the 355 failure and the lack of proper food and sleep the night prior. Those two exercises sucked all around. Thankfully, my next two workouts have been much more productive. DL tomorrow should really tell the tale...I think it is 440 for a set of 5, which will not be easy.

starting strength coach development program
    06.25.17 - DL - Sunday - Workout 60;

BS - 285 X 1 X 5;
    DL - 440 X 5,3,1;
    Suitcase Deadlifts - 195 X 3/3 X 3;
    Pendlay Rows - 225 X 5 X 3;

Duration - 76 minutes;

Comments - I think the DL is an all-time 5RM...but I'm not really sure. Everything else wasn't too bad. I had a much better grip with my suitcase deadlifts this week, even with a weight increase. It was a good week overall with the exception of a shitty day on bench. It is a future lesson for me - don't drink too much bourbon and expect great results the following day.

Page 72 of 78 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast