Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 1307

Thread: Keeping myself honest

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher John View Post
    Hopefully you can find some solace because of this. :-/
    Thanks everyone.

I absolutely do. As a doc, making sure someone dies a good death is perhaps one of the most meaningful things I've ever experienced. Her last cogent words to me were, "here's Isaac. He makes the pain go away." And that was followed by a huge smile.

Wk 2D
    SGDL - 175 x 3,3,3,3
    Let ext - 130/125/120 x 8s
    Leg curls - 105/100/95 x 8s

Played around with static hangs as suggested by Hector. My grip is weak AF. The biggest limitation was the stretch in my lumbar and lower thoracic spine, though.

Wk 3A
    Press - 150 x 2,2,2,2,4
    Pulldowns - 130/120/110 x 8
    Dips - BW+25lbs x 5,5,5

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    The biggest limitation was the stretch in my lumbar and lower thoracic spine, though.
    Neuropathy from your one-in-a-billion spine or just super tight hip flexors?

It doesn't induce a neuropathy but it's the pain from my unicorn spine.

Hey Van,

Just checking in after a while out. Glad to see you are still it, but I'm sorry for your recent loss.

I am nothing if not relentless. No matter how many times I have to reset this weight. In the end, it's not about the weight. It's about it being therapy. Plain and simple. Taking whatever emotion, pouring it into the iron, and seeing what happens in that crucible. Alchemy at its best.

Wk 3B
    SGDL - 185 x 5 sets x 2 reps
    Leg ext - 135/130/125 x 8s
    Leg curls - 110/105/100 x 8s

Back held up well to these. Which is good because I was hesitant. And this was after a 30+ hour shift with about 4 hours of various sleep. I went home, ate, and went to bed at 4 pm.

I had two goals this month. To lift twice a week. And to do one somewhat intense cardio once a week. I hit the first one the second part of the month. Missed the second one. But all things considered, I am pleased with the twice a week lifting these past couple of weeks.

Chris, still haven't noticed any massive quads. I think I'd need to add a 4th or 5th set to get the volume.

In the end, it's not about the weight. It's about it being therapy. Plain and simple. Taking whatever emotion, pouring it into the iron, and seeing what happens in that crucible. Alchemy at its best.
    Well put!
    Does your gym have a leg press? I don't measure, but I think a few months of leg press has done as much for my quads (which isn't a whole lot, but is something) as years of squatting.

Chris, still haven't noticed any massive quads. I think I'd need to add a 4th or 5th set to get the volume.
    Worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by hector_garza View Post
    Well put!
    Does your gym have a leg press? I don't measure, but I think a few months of leg press has done as much for my quads (which isn't a whole lot, but is something) as years of squatting.
    There is a leg press. I think I tried it once at Andy's suggestion. My back was irritated and it kind of irritated it. So being irritated, I gave up on it immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher John View Post
    Worth it.
    I'll come back to that. I want to regain a bit of strength for now. So since June is a relatively easier month, I'm going to increase the frequency of the lifts and push myself a little bit harder.

Cycle 1
    Wk 3 Conditioning
    Airdyne HIIT x 4 rounds, 15:75

Cycle 1
    Wk 3C
    Bench - 225 x 2,2,2,2,5
    Cable rows - 130/120/110, paired with dips
    Dips - BW x 10,10,10

Cycle 2
    Wk 1A
    Press - 127.5 x 6,7,9. Had a little extra in the tank so pushed it.
    SGLD - 145 x 6,6,6
    Some DB higher volume work as now my R elbow is hurting. No clue why.
    Back work

ERM
    Press - 157.5 -> 160
    Bench - 230 -> 235
    SGDL - 185 -> 195

starting strength coach development program
    Random question. What's your diet look like? I saw on a very old post that you praised the Mediterranean diet (or at least the academic evidence supporting it).