starting strength gym
Page 127 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1307

Thread: Keeping myself honest

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Man plans. God laughs.

I think I pretty much completed cycle 3 more or less. Not much point in even going into details other than I've learned it ain't the work out that always kills me. It's the subsequent days with pain. So learning to leave a bit in the tank. And maybe back off the already weak assed volume of SGDL.

Cycle 4
    Wk 1A
    Press - 135 x 6,6,8
    SGDL - 165 x 6,6,6

Bench - 195 x 6,6,8
    SGDL - 165 x 6. Hurt too much everywhere else so didn't push it.

Some various, random walking, treadmill mixed with occasional Airdyne to just keep moving on off days.

Glad you're posting again!

Glad to still be able post!

Cycle 4
    Wk 2A
    Press - 152.5 x 3,3,3,6
    SGDL - 185 x 3,3,3,3

Cycle 4
    Wk 2B
    Bench - 220 x 3,3,3,6. Unlike presses the previous workout which felt heavy AF, these felt pretty easy
    SGDL - 185 x 3, 165 x 3,3,3. These always are a fine line between "good workout" and "oh, shit....I'm going to pay for that". Hence the lighter back off sets.

You're able to maintain your bench strength well.

How was your back after the previous workout with SGDL?

Bench has always been the "easiest" lift for me to progress on. And that's despite having my feet on the bench. I think it's the morphology of my shoulders and chest. Because it is ALL shoulders and chest for me on the movement. My back is flat and neutral.

The higher volume SGDL, I felt fine during. But the next two days were a bit rough. The lower volume, I felt on the very first set. But I felt decent afterwards. But then yesterday hurt for no freaking reason. At least discernible to me. So, yeah, there are patterns. But then it reaches a point where there are so many variables that it essentially becomes random. But the SGDL definitely is much less worse than straight up deads. And it gets my legs more. Which they desperately need since no squats.

Woke up at 3:30 and was wide awake so figured, fuck it. Go lift at the gym.
    Cycle 4
    Press - 165 x 2,2,2,3,4. Last one was definitely a max effort. Pretty pleased with this considering fasted state with little sleep.
    Hector Press, aka leg press - 135 x 10,10,10. Started out very, very light. Because I've pissed on that electric fence so many times my dick looks like a hot dog cooked by 2 cattle prods on either end.

I like the Hector Press, conceptually and at least the first time. It hopefully gives my legs some volume that spares my back. There was a very strong flexion reaction of my lower back at the bottom. So I'm being VERY conscious of that and focusing on strict form because that butt wink will kill me. I think he last time I tried it, I went heavier and had that sink so quickly abandoned it.

I listened to a podcast with Ed Coan yesterday. He said leg drive was overrated in the bench press.

"Hector Press!" Yes!

Do you wear weight lifting shoes? I think Gary Gibson wrote that wearing them helped his lower back when leg pressing.

The leg drive may be overrated but the stability and balance it provides by locking into the floor is not trivial.

I don't wear shoes at all when lifting. My feet are hard to fit for shoes (tried on about 20 pairs of boots to find one that fit well last time) so I just don't buy any shoes without being able to try them on. Otherwise, I waste some serious coin on shoes that don't last long. But they probably would indeed help as I have very little dorsiflexion along with some very tight Achilles in general. Maybe once I start earning a real salary.

Cycle 4
    Wk 3B
    Bench - 237.5 x 2,2,2,3,5. Probably had six in me but i didn't have the safeties set up and didn't feel like doing the rock o' death if I failed.
    SGDL - 225 x 5 doubles. Was supposed to do something around 200-205 but I was feeling ambitious.
    Hector Press - 135 x 10,10,10.
    CC raises and static back extension

- I like the leg press. I think I'm going to use them to replace one of the SGDL days. Not sure how I'll program them, though.
    - Need to add the captain chair raises and static back extension back into the routine to develop some back and hip endurance.

Cycle 5
    Wk 1A
    Press - 140 x 6,6,8
    Hector press - 135 x 10,10,10,10. Bumped up to 4 sets.
    Pressed for time so forgot back stuff. D'oh.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm going to reintroduce the Hector Press when school starts again. It's time for my legs to stop giving off the DYEL vibe.

Are you getting a respectable quad pump?