299.5# 3R (doh)
    337.5# 4R (alt) - rep record

Bench Press
    106# 5R
    160# 5R
    209.5# 5R, 5R, 5R

Time: 0:58

Music: As I Lay Dying

Not a bad day. The deadlift was a tiny rep record, but I'll take those any time. About to give up on the hook grip. Find myself thinking about the grip more than the pull. Maybe I'll revisit it next time I'm around someone in real life who's good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatlandman View Post
    Not a bad day. The deadlift was a tiny rep record, but I'll take those any time. About to give up on the hook grip. Find myself thinking about the grip more than the pull. Maybe I'll revisit it next time I'm around someone in real life who's good at it.
    Is your issue the actual grip in the hookgrip or is the bar eating up your hands? I hookgrip exclusively and have some problems with the latter, especially up and down my thumbs. Thinking about getting some Versa Gripps myself.

When I switched to alternate this last go around it definitely affected my concentration and I had to step back out to alter my set up a bit. Conversely, I was amazed at how my lower back was no longer as weak now that my grip was stronger. Bizarre association and I never quite bought it, but it made a believer out of me that grip and back are tied together neurologically somehow.

[Cycle 7, Threes]

Press 1.0
    40# 5R
    75.5# 5R
    111.5# 3R
    128# 3R
    143.5# 2R

Goodmornings
    40# 10R
    64.5# 10R
    86.5# 10R
    111.5# 10R, 10R

Rack Pull Shrugs
    130# 5R (hg)
    220# 5R (hg)
    310# 5R (alt)
    400# 0R

Time: 1:07

Music: Trivium

Have a thing tomorrow after work, so this is Thursday's lifting. Top set of presses was programmed for 3+, so that's a fail. Presses suck. Can't summon enough giveashit right now to come up with a plan forward for those. Goodmornings felt productive. The rack pulls with shrugs were from just below the kneecaps. A little surprised that 400 didn't move at all.

------------------

vanslix: I too am absolutely convinced that the brain won't bother to pick up something it thinks it can't hold onto.

AC: Bar isn't eating into my hands, and I've gotten past most of the thumb pain. Bar just doesn't feel locked in solidly. Sking1001 posted recently that Kyle showed him how to do it right & it suddenly clicked. I may or may not keep at this until I have a hook epiphany.

[Cycle 7, Ones]

LBBS
    106# 5R
    160# 5R
    207# 5R
    247.5# 5R
    280.5# 3R
    315.5# 0R*

*It was sort of a rep, except it was higher than Snoop Dogg at a Phish concert. Can't count it. Modified today's plan to add:

LBBS Bailout Practice
    130#, pins at hole no. 8 (where the pins usually are)
    130#, pins at hole no. 9
    130#, pins at hole no. 10: Set bar down forward. This should be survivable. Some backstory: I've only ever failed one squat, and that was at a meet last year with spotters. Alone, I've been a big giant vag when it comes to "heavy" squats. In this case, I think that practicing failure is going to be a big help in the coming weeks, as my training weights begin to pass my previous 1RMs.

Press 1.0
    40# 5R
    62# 5R
    84# 5R
    111.5# 5R, 5R, 5R

Time: 1:15

Music: Nine Inch Nails

Terrible butterflies before lifting today, but feeling better now that I've at least taken steps to handle bigger squats in the future.

I have a deep respect for squats, but I have failed some of them and it was not so very dramatic in the end. Just put the bar slowly and carefully down on the safeties. Then try again. Easier said than done, sometimes.

You're right, of course...I imagined that a failure would be catastrophic. Now that I've A) practiced getting out and B) set the safeties higher, where they need to be, I'm anxious to make some big progress on these in the next couple of cycles.

Hey man, I think one of my sons is going to join in for the November Deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    It'll be like pre-Festivus for you guys.

Holy cow - it's only three months away. I better get crackin'!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatlandman View Post
    It'll be like pre-Festivus for you guys.

Holy cow - it's only three months away. I better get crackin'!
    Ha, pretty much. I hope you can attend.

Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast