• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    25 August 2015

Today's Macros
    P: 294 g
    C: 338 g
    F: 151 g
    = 3,887 kcal

I didn't gain last week on 3,200 kcal, so I'm trying to keep intake higher this week. All the semi-skimmed milk today has made the fat go really high. I could solve that by switching to skimmed, but then I'd be struggling for total calories again. What I could do with is a palatable source of easy carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bean counter View Post
    25 August 2015

Today's Macros
    = 3,887 kcal

I didn't gain last week on 3,200 kcal, so I'm trying to keep intake higher this week. All the semi-skimmed milk today has made the fat go really high. I could solve that by switching to skimmed, but then I'd be struggling for total calories again. What I could do with is a palatable source of easy carbs.
    Rice, particularly Basmati or Jasmine. Negligible fat, very low protein, but high carb. You can make it into Rice Pudding, or add it to every meal. Fruits too. You could go the oat route like I do, but it's torture.

25 August 2015

Today's Macros
    = 3,887 kcal

Rice, particularly Basmati or Jasmine. Negligible fat, very low protein, but high carb. You can make it into Rice Pudding, or add it to every meal. Fruits too. You could go the oat route like I do, but it's torture.

27 August 2015, 90 kg

LBBS
    Belt, SBD sleeves, wrist wraps
    140 kg: 3 X 5 @ 8.5, 8.5, 9
    Totals: 15 reps, 1,950 kg

I was dreading this session and didn't sleep well last night. In the end it went pretty well. I went a bit deep and touched the safeties during the first and third set, but the second set was solid, and I nearly called it @ 8. Seven minute rests. 140 kg (three metric plates) for 3 X 5 feels like a major milestone.

As with the last couple of weeks I expect this squatting load will threaten to overcome my recovery abilities and impact Saturday's DL session. But the HLM approach is working at the moment so I'd be stupid to stop now and I should be able to make another jump or two before the seminar.

Press
    Belt, wrist wraps
    60 kg: 1 X 5 @ 9.5
    57.5 kg: 2 X 5 @ 8.5, 9
    Totals: 15 reps, 875 kg

Urgh. Press was smoked after all that heavy squatting. I also had a repetition of the plucking sensation in my right forearm that I've had before. Still don't really know what I'm doing here re: programming, but I don't want to step away from fives since that's what I'll be doing at the seminar.

Hang Power Snatch
    20 kg: 1 X 3
    25 kg: 1 X 3
    30 kg: 1 X 3
    35 kg: 5 X 2

Some quick pulling work at the end of the session. I'm doing these from the hang at the moment so I can simply roll my SBDs down, rather than take them off and put on long socks. 40 kg next week should be manageable, but I might need to go back to the floor after that.

As much as I should be practising power cleans I just don't feel they are a good idea right now given my injury situation.

Overhead squat
    20 kg: 1 X 3

Yep, my overhead mobility still sucks. Nearly fell over on the first rep.

Aches and pains
    Elbows playing up during today's session.
    Weird pain in my side post session.

28 August 2015

Yesterday's Macros
    P: 259
    C: 388
    F: 151
    Al: 32
    = 4,166 kcal [PR]

28 August 2015

Yesterday's Macros
    P: 259
    C: 388
    F: 151
    Al: 32
    = 4,166 kcal [PR]
    Lol

Today's Macros

C: 496
    P: 229
    F: 85
    A: 0 (it's always 0, I don't have a social life!)

= 3,665kcal

That I've been doing consistently 4x this week, giving me a weekly average of 3397kcal (it should be 3654kcal, if I got everything right) and I've not gained a single lb yet (although I'll know for sure tomorrow).

Quote Originally Posted by Strength_Power_Progress View Post
    Lol

Today's Macros

C: 496
    P: 229
    F: 85
    A: 0 (it's always 0, I don't have a social life!)

= 3,665kcal

That I've been doing consistently 4x this week, giving me a weekly average of 3397kcal (it should be 3654kcal, if I got everything right) and I've not gained a single lb yet (although I'll know for sure tomorrow).
    You're definitely in at the deep end of nutrition management. I'm mostly thinking about total calories at the moment and seeing what it takes to get the scale moving. Despite eating slightly more than last week my weight has been within 100g of 90 kg for the last four sessions now.

Yesterday's Macros
    P: 264
    C: 274
    F: 138
    = 3,398 kcal

29 August 2015, 90 kg

Deadlift
    Belt
    160 kg: 3 X 3 @ 8, 7, 8 [all video linked]
    Totals: 9 reps, 1,440 kg

I dropped to triples today to try and lose the late-set form breakdown I've been worrying about recently. That helped, but I'm still having issues with my technique, particularly the last part of the setup. Through filming the first couple of sets I noticed I was dropping my hips and kicking the bar forward slightly while trying to get squoze. For the last set I tried setting up with my shoulders further forward and that seemd to help keep the hips high. Hook grip was a non-issue for triples. I'm not super-happy with the technique I displayed, but at least I think I figured out something to work on next time. Increase to 162.5 kg next week.

TnG Bench
    Wrist wraps
    95 kg: 3 X 5 @ 9.5, 9.5, 9.5
    Totals: 15 reps, 1,425 kg

LP clearly isn't working any more for my upper body lifts. I also had some shoulder discomfort and clicking on the bench today. I'll stick with fives, but aim only to progress a single top set, with more volume from lower weight down sets (i.e. use RTS load drops).

I'm not feeling much love for bench at the moment and I'm quite tempted to keep it at 1x per week, with 2x pressing. This also has the virtue of meaning I'd always be pressing after squatting on Mondays and Thursdays, allowing me to stay in the rack and avoid potentially having to wait for equipment. Another possibility would be to reintroduce a fourth training day on Tuesdays.

LBBS
    Wrist wraps, belt, Rehbands
    100 kg: 2 X 5

Fine. I'm feeling better recovered from my heavy squat day than I was at this time last week.

Chins
    BW: 3 X 8

The first set was a struggle, but the second felt good and I think I could have hit ten reps if I'd wanted to. Third set tough again.

Discomforts
    Elbows playing up at the moment.
    Shoulder a bit grumbly.
    Haven't mentioned wrist in a while - it's doing alright, but I don't want to tax it with front squats or cleans.

Edit:
    Added video links
    Last edited by bean counter; 08-29-2015 at 04:11 AM.

Saturday 29 August
    P: 232g
    C: 401g
    F: 98g
    Al: 71g
    = kcal: 3,593

First (tracked) day ever over 400 carbs and it took Coke plus beer to get there.

Sunday 30 August
    P: 222g
    C: 232g
    F: 134g
    = kcal: 3,013

Sedentary day.

Average macros this week
    P: 257g [+26]
    C: 314g [+7]
    F: 134g [+23]
    Al: 15g [+7]
    = kcal: 3,593 [+387]

Since my weight was steady last week this should be enough for some GainzZz, but admittedly only within the range of normal fluctuation, so it won't necessarily be apparent on the scale tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by bean counter; 08-30-2015 at 11:34 AM.

Saturday 29 August
    P: 232g
    C: 401g
    F: 98g
    Al: 71g

First (tracked) day ever over 400 carbs and it took Coke plus beer to get there.

Sunday 30 August
    P: 222g
    C: 232g
    F: 134g

Sedentary day.

Average macros this week
    P: 257g [+26]
    C: 314g [+7]
    F: 134g [+23]
    Al: 15g [+7]
    = kcal: 3,593 [+387]

Since my weight was steady last week this should be enough for some GainzZz, but admittedly only within the range of normal fluctuation, so it won't necessarily be apparent on the scale tomorrow morning.
    My new macros are 235/500/90 7x (3750kcal daily average). Given the +5/-5 threshold that Jordan insists upon, being under by -5/-5/-5 on all fronts every day, will still yield 3665kcal daily average. It amazes me and worries me that given your weekly average, other different occupations, and not a LOT of differential in size and bodyweight, that you are not gaining on that!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Strength_Power_Progress View Post
    My new macros are 235/500/90 7x (3750kcal daily average). Given the +5/-5 threshold that Jordan insists upon, being under by -5/-5/-5 on all fronts every day, will still yield 3665kcal daily average. It amazes me and worries me that given your weekly average, other different occupations, and not a LOT of differential in size and bodyweight, that you are not gaining on that!
    So, I failed to gain yet again. I may work at a desk, but I typically walk about 10,000 steps a day (walk to work), so I'm not completely inactive outside the gym. Maybe my tracking isn't very accurate, but in any case I guess the lesson is I still need to eat more.

31 August 2015, 90 kg

No weight gain. 89.9 kg on the scale this morning, so within 100g of 90 kg for the sixth workout in a row.

Squat [Medium]
    Belt, wrist wraps, SBD sleeves
    130 kg: 3 X 5 @ 7.5, 8, 8
    Total: 15 reps, 1,950 kg

Technique a bit inconsistent, but easy enough.

Press
    Belt, wrist wraps
    56.25 kg: 1 X 5 @ 7
    58.75 kg: 1 X 5 @ 8
    61.25 kg: 1 X 5 @ 9.5
    57.5 kg: 2 X 5 @ 8.5, 9
    Total: 25 reps, 1,455 kg

Back to RTS style (going for 5s @9, 5% load drop), which let me get in more volume than 3 X 5 across. Top set was a bit harder than it should have been due to a sore side (oblique?). I became oddly shaky after the top set. Not sure why this was, I had eaten before training.

Hang Power Snatch
    40 kg: 5 X 2

Still not too tough.

Snatch Balance
    20 kg X 3
    30 kg X 3

Balance with weight overhead feeling a bit better.

Hang Snatch
    30 kg X 2

Caught these around 45 degrees and rode them down.

Pullups
    BW: 3 X 5

Pains
    Elbows grumpy.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast