Thread: Mike's YNDTP program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    YouTube

. . .editing works

logging my occassional PR's here.

Instagram

CnJ is just same-o-same-o . . .just a work set (I feel I can do 255# anytime now)

SN 207.5 was new PR (not shown);
    SN 210 in gram post? maybe a little too pressy for a PR . . .but considering new style still feelz weird, leg tired from Sat., etc

I've lowered my hips in the start about 3"; more chest UP cue; more bring bar in; etc.
    Deviating for the SS model more.
    2nd workout trying new style yields PR LMFAO.

Instagram
    Last edited by MBasic; 09-25-2017 at 01:01 PM.

10-9-2017

Just going to run a "strength block".
    Doing the quick lifts on a maintenance only basis. Not going to push at all.
    Completely going to rebuild my snatch during this time....use this time to tinker.
    Lower hip start; knees out action in first pull; sorta Chinese looking.
    Been playing around with . . . I think I understand why the "dogma" says this is better now.
    That is all.
    Not that my set up looks like this, but cool video here:

YouTube

Last edited by MBasic; 10-09-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Why do you want lower hips on the snatch bro?

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    Why do you want lower hips on the snatch bro?
    Its where I have to be for my shoulders to be directly over the bar (barely slightly in front of actually).
    The tension of the upper back, and quads are totally different. Its hard to describe.
    Your hip might wind up being closer to the bar, which improves leverage, maybe.
    Throughout the whole lift, its like your different segments move thru less of their respective arcs.
    Simpler, quicker, more efficient. Tension builds up in the first pull for a breief moment, and then is released in the 2nd.
    It seems like you wind up being much quicker thru the 2nd & 3rd pull (under).
    Its funny, I for sure feel like light weight don't go as high, but I feel wicked fast (LOLx1010 I know, right) going underneath.

Seems like I'm cutting off my extension, starting to pull under too soon.
    But I'm not per the video.

Its more consistent in a way. More "consistently fast" thru the final-extension-pull-under-catch.
    Its hard to explain. I won't be able to fully vet the new technique for another two months.....(committed to my strength goals I just set)
    and now playing with the knees now adds another aspect to the whole thing also.

My best doing Rip's way, bar mid-foot (as close as possible for me), higher hips, shoulders way over the bar . . .
    was 190#
    BW was 222+/- IIRC / Squat was 315 4x5 / DL 440x1

Now, with lower hips i nearly SN'd 215 (arm lock out was iffy). That was the 3rd SN session using the "lower" cue.
    BW is 216 / squat not even 3 playt for 1RM / DL don't even know . . .probably 405 for 1RM.

The recent "knees" thing is really a game changer.
    Seem to trick me into extending the 1st pull higher, to where my knees stay back father . . . and therefore the DKB in less pronounced.
    I need to play around with it more with heavier weights, but I'm not going to do that now.
    Many people think that spreading of knees in the 1st pull, is to get the knees out of the way, to keep the bar close.
    IMO, it also does something else . . . as I said above, it fixes a couple of things with the transition phase and the end of the 1st pull.
    Changes the kinematics of the rest of the lift.

It will be interesting.

Last edited by MBasic; 11-01-2017 at 04:42 PM. Reason: added part at end about the knees

.this is the new snatch form.
    .hip lower at start; trying to KEEP hip low during first pull.
    .spread knees thru transistion phase at knee.
    .etc.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

This was kind of a dick move:

Quote Originally Posted by teddyd View Post
    Looking at that, it begs the question, why do a number of other SSC's suggest more complicated programming for intermediates with different intensities (RPE or % or whatever), different volume (back of sets etc), and different equipment (chains)?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseLindley View Post
    Because it looks and sounds cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah Lutz View Post
    That’s the only reason I train that way myself. I live to be cool and confusing. [emoji4]
    I’ve never met anyone who can press 330 lbs before Mr. Lindley. You haven’t either. The important thing to remember is that I’ve also never met the guy who will not miss a single training session in the 3 years that I’ve known him, who will follow a program to the letter, with absolutely no modification, and who will do what it takes to progress on the program. These extraordinary performances are made in the hours alone in the gym, pushing up to a real failure point and then figuring out what to do next to not fail. It’s easy for us to blame our program, our recovery, our bad day, or any number of other things for a lack of progress. Us normal folks forget that grueling persistence is what yields these kinds of results. For Chase, it was a 330 lb press. For you and me, the performance will be more modest, but equally transformative if the process is applied in earnest.

I asked him to let all of us have a look at it to show how basic it is. No rates of perceived exertion (RPEs), no percentages, minimal cycling of reps and volume. Just lots of 5s and lots of hard work. You and I aren’t Chase, but if we’re going to collectively be constantly distracted by new and exciting and complicated and variable programs done by strong people, maybe it’ll be useful to look at one that isn’t so exciting, to reframe our perspective on what really matters.
    So Chase is a demi-god lifter? but yet, I'm supposed to accept his simple programming is going to be the most optimal thing for a mere mortal.

Works for a iron-Lord, should work for me? right. How many times have I been told this is not the approach to take.

Also, this applies a lot of people are doing it wrong in the SS relms.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I posted something to that effect in Rip's QA; he won't let the post go thru....he's scared, or protecting Chase.
    The conversion to pure echo chamber is now complete. This is just like the Government sensoring the media, etc.
    Kim Jun Rip.

Solid work, can't apply your own 'logic' to your own work, programs, lifters. Such the smart people forum.
    Also, as far as RPE being "fancy" or "cool": The SSNLP uses LP the very first day. "...work up in weight until the bar speed slows down" is basically RPE!
    __________________________________________________ ______________

He probably won't post this either . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post

4) I have demonstrably shitty genetics. My father was 5'4" and 120# at the time of his death at 40 years old and I have never seen a less capable athlete as he was. he had some ability to generate power, so perhaps I am being overly harsh on my criticisms of his athletic ability.
    My mother was 5'1" and no more than about 120# and I do not believe she ever played any sports outside of bar league softball where she camped out in the outfield until she was drilled in the face by a line drive. The only true "athlete" in my family was my older half-brother, who seemingly inherited his build and athletic potential from his father. My genetic ceiling is about as low as they come. I've had severe, and at times, life-threatening GI problems throughout my life, and yet, I have been able to achieve strength numbers that come very close to doubling your numbers while being roughly the same body weight.
    I thought you had a high SVJ?
    Remember?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    I have a fairly decent vertical jump, which I would assume Rip would attest to. After about a month of dorking around with Olympic lifting training, I was able to split snatch 93kg fairly easily. I got bored and went back to powerlifting. Despite Rip's greater size and strength, my "explosiveness", if you want to call it that, made me able to better express my strength into power.
    I find that people who have high SVJs are generally stronger than others (esp, per weight of body mass).

As it appears, the only thing that separates the two of us is this: over the past 7 years, I have drug my ass to the gym and trained despite whatever excuse I really felt like making that day. I have trained when I didn't feel like it. I have trained through injuries. I have found a way to train while moving across the country. I trained on my next scheduled training day after watching my mother die of cancer in a hospital bed, and I worked up the nerve to train the day after we laid her to rest. I trained through days where I vomited blood after eating. I've set PRs and I've had setbacks within that time, but the one constant is this: I trained. I could have sat behind a keyboard and typed up all the reasons why I didn't want to or explain why the universe has conspired against me to make everything awful all the time.
    Maybe you should take it easy, maybe not Traintm so much, ya know.

and

From my standpoint, the only athletic endeavor he was skilled at was savagely beating the absolute hell out of me. If drinking alcohol was a sport, he probably could have competed at the national level, but he was truly world class in beating the shit out of me when he didn't like something I did. The indention in my skull from a well placed swing of a wrench shows that, at least,
    Last edited by MBasic; 11-28-2017 at 02:08 PM. Reason: 62240

starting strength coach development program
    Another example of how no one (coach) ever thought to try any different kind of pull or different technique . . . because "tradition".

Page 87 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3777858687