-FRONT SQUAT-
    . 95 2x5; 145x5; 185x2; 205x1; 230x5; 210x5; 195x5
    . warm ups felt terrible
    . so opted for 1x5 then backoffs... 3x5 to grindy lately

-SNATCH-
    . x2's: 95;105;115;125;135;145;155;165;175
    . missed one rep at 145 & 165

-BTN PRESS IN SNATCH (SOTS)-
    . index on rings: 45x5; 95x5; 145x5 PR . . . although lost it midway standing up when I was done.
    . 120x5 middle finger on rings
    . 120x5 pinky " " " "
    . 120x5 hand just inside rings/clean grip
    . all the 120 sets felt easy, position wise, balance wise, and pressing wise
    . shoulder girdle loosening up nicely

__________________________________________________ __________

In other news: I might sign my 10yo boy up for formal Weightlifting classes. . . . by like, a real Weightlifting coach (not Crossfit facility).
    I do not think he will have a future in the sport by any stretch of the imagination.
    But I believe it's the best system/way to learn how to lift weights in general.
    I'm with Rip as far as no grinders for youths, no adaptation to had due to no hormones.
    But at least he can learn how to squat, clean, snatch, dead and press . . . gain some neural thingymagiggers whatcamacallits.
    Hopefully they do some jumps and GPP stuff too.

He will probably do track in high school, like his mother and sister . . . then I don't have to worry the coaches fucking him up there (lifting wise)
    Last edited by MBasic; 05-22-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Wow. Those look like torture. If you have to bail, your not in the best position either. It must be hard to stay focused with all that traffic too.

I wish someone had signed me up for something like that when I was a kid. Not sure I would have stuck with it. But no one signed me up for anything interesting ever, except for a season of soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    Wow. Those look like torture. If you have to bail, your not in the best position either.
    I just hop backwards, its not bad . . .pretty safe.

It must be hard to stay focused with all that traffic too.
    Today was pretty bad:
    1- severals sets I had girls walking to the Yoga room. I usually use a diff platform for this reason. But they were all being used.
    2- they now push a wheeled prowler thing back and forth in front of the three platforms . . . so there's this issue now (lifting & filming)
    3- McNab and his crew make shit tons of noise . . .jumping rope . . .etc, right in front of me.
    . . .I think it will make a better lifter if I can tune it all out.

I had a girl try to steal my rack today . . . lol . . .
    I was there at the same platform all workout.
    She asks, "are you done?". I say I have three more sets left.
    She's actually working in with the guy/platform directly across from me . . .he's squatting 95#.
    . .asked him too, he offered for her to work in. Set goes from his 95# at 115# over there . . .
    He went back down to 95#, she sees my 120#. . . and guess figured that was easier.
    I set up my camera on a plyo box, you can see me in the mirror . . .she sneaks in for the heist.
    I mean, fuck, I've got that whole area all fucked up: plates all over the floor, my backback in there, etc.
    . . .safeties removed, towel, etc . . . I sit right there right by the rack on the window sill when I rest/review video.

I wish someone had signed me up for something like that when I was a kid. Not sure I would have stuck with it. But no one signed me up for anything interesting ever, except for a season of soccer.
    I can't teach him the classic lifts. I have no idea where to start.
    I got him squatting pretty good tho . . . form wise . . . we do not push any weight (increases).
    HE needs more structure in life; its like another aspect of school . . .. listening and learning . . . etc
    Last edited by MBasic; 05-22-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I'm basically come to realization that I'm just exercising with the Olympic lifts. I refuse to put on anymore weight, and therefore I really can't get any stronger....or at least, considerably so.

So basically, I'm just having fun with the Olympic lifts, as I am a fan of the sport.

Right now, I have no ailments from life or lifting ...knee is good, back ok, both shoulders work, hips good.
    That's understandable. I've heard of old coaches (mostly Soviet) still snatching/cleaning into their 80s, which is one of my goals. That means I'd still be moving well and have a modicum of strength left.

I know our cases are different, but I'm trying to think of snatch/C&J as practice more than anything right now. Sounds like that's where you are with squat jerks?

5-24-2017 WED

NOTES: Lately, the pulls have been feelz harder and harder.
    I think I need to tone down the intensity. Deload for pulling so to speak . . .of sorts
    I did not sleep last night good at all.
    Smashed my cell phone today with barbell . . . .lost everything.

-CLEAN DEADLIFT-
    . wu 135 2x5; 225 2x3; 315 2x1;
    . 315 10x2 emom

-CLEAN GRIP OHS-
    . 45 2x5; 95x5; 120x5; 145x3;
    . 160x5; 160x3 failed standing; 160x5; 160x5

-RDL-
    . 275 3x5 straps; no warm ups . . ezpz

-CGBP-
    . 45x15; 135 2x5; 175x5; 215x3; 245x4 . . .4 felt sorta hard so i didn't even try 5. . . .5 would've gone, but woulda been grindy
    . back offs: 225 3x5; 205 2x5

-SOMEKIND OF SUPINATED CHIN ROW MACHINE THINGY-
    . 45+45+25 per side/arm . . . 5s x 8r

I helped a guy work on his snatch today (Oly Dude1)
    He approched me, which is odd. My RBF is strong at my age now . . . he seemed like a non-douche bag, and was polite.
    He's short, asian, etc. . . . should be able to do it in his sleep (/racism)
    He could naturally do it, every once in a while.
    He's been taking cues from another wanna be lifter (Oly dude2), but OD2 guy is a mess.
    OD2 over does the hip slam thing. Has no shoulder mobility for the snatch, or hip mobility . . . but keeps trying, and its so messy.
    Just need to stop and do mobility work (along with squats, etc) for 2 weeks . . .everyday.

And, also, today the Lifetime Trainer was teaching "the group" (9-11 people!) to Clean and Jerk. It was a mess. They have no business doing this.
    It's a complete waste of money and time.
    No one can hit any one position correctly. . . . it goes without saying no one in the group can even achieve a decent front squat position, or even the fucking standing rack position.
    For that matter, not one can get into a proper pulling/deadlift bottom posisiton to start with ! (chest up, back in extension, etc) . . .
    . . and all this applies to the trainer as well (mid 20's guy, who should be able to do everything himself)
    So how are they supposed to clean and jerk.

It was sorta funny, it was the same group that was snatching last week.
    I was teaching that guy to do it while to LT class was going thru their clean positions.
    We were standing right in front of them . . . . pretty quickly, I got the guy doing it half ass ok in about 10 minutes. . . which was like 10X's better than last weeks debacle.
    I saw a couple of the class member peaking over at us, including the trainer.
    I started to talk louder, and use more fashionable/modern cues:
    "Keep the bar close"
    "don't hip fuck the bar"
    "shove your knees out"
    "don't worry about shrugging for now"
    "keep your shoulders over the bar"

. . .none of the above was uttered even once in the snatch class last wednesday.

This went on all between my OHS rests.
    It looked pretty bad for the trainer. I know a little, but I'll admit I'm not a good coach, I have problem communicating ideas thru words.
    But the guy I was teaching was younger, somewhat mobile (but not really good) . . . so I didn't have a pile of shit to work with. So credit goes to the Asian kid.
    All the same, I'm sure they ("group") were like what the fuck? He did happen to hit one pretty good power snatch . . . that was real crisp.
    Last edited by MBasic; 05-24-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Default Musings on the squat jerk

I find it funny. . . . .
    I've seen a quite a few squat jerk videos where the lifter actually rises pretty slow on the clean, but then almost makes the squat jerk part look easy.
    The was an article by Spitz . . . he was saying it (paraphrasing) made no sense to squat the weight twice, when you only really had to do it once.
    (squat jerk vs. convenion Clean and jerk).
    That sort of makes sense . . . so one is going to sorta grind out a clean recovery, then be expected to do it again, but with the bar over head???
    yeah right.

In study some video, it would appear they rise with almost lowbar type mechanics.
    So my idea is the "first squat" (clean recovery) is tasking on the quads, very upright, etc.
    The "second squat" one gets to use your hips more, load on the squad is less.
    The quads (anterior chian, gay) gets sorta spent on the first part; posterior chain gets to finish it off.
    I'm not saying one should start LBBSquating to improve their squat jerk, or clean. . . . but its interesting how it how work. . . because that's not the bottle neck.

I read an article by Wolf, where he says as a countered arguement to the people who say Oly lifters should HBBS becuz more specific to clena and snatch recovery.
    He goes onto say that the recovery phase of the sntach is more LBBS ish.

#1- not always, sometimes if I lose balance backward alittle when rising, it winds up feeling like a LB
    BSish recovery (standing part)

#2 - the standing part of the snatch is the easiest part of both lifts (SN/CJ) . . . as far as demand on the legs/lower body.
    Any body should have enough legs and butt strength to stand out of the snatch.

I guess what I'm realizing, is you have to practice overhead squatting with a severely forward lean . . . we will call it LBOHS w/ jerk grip.
    Most overhead squats I see performed are done fairly upright, and this is wrong for my purposes.

Severe shoulder mobility is required (for jerk grip / clean grip).

Freeze frame right about the 'sticking point' . . .just above parallel.

Just wanted to say that I'm really digging your "installments"

Quote Originally Posted by Bliss View Post
    Just wanted to say that I'm really digging your "installments"
    thanks, just trying to learn and have fun

5-26-2017 FRI.... F U C K !

-FRONT SQUAT- (lite)
    . 95 2x5; 145x5; 170x3; 195 5x3

-CLEAN GRIP OHS-
    . pinkies inside rings
    . 45x5; 95x5; 120x3; 145x1; 165x1; 185x1 PR

-CLEAN + SUCK JERK-
    . 95 3+2; 115x1; 130x1; 145x1; 160x1; 175 x about 10-13 . . .missed most

-SOMEKIND OF UPPER BACK ROWING THING MACHINE-
    . 80# 5x10

...was really tired, I'm gonna regret this tomorrow I think.
    you can see how slow and hunched over my cleans look.
    I need to build myself a set of jerk stands/tables for the garage.

I cut my extension off on the dip and drive of the jerk.
    If I don't half ass it, I throw it too high . . .it crashes on me, or super high catch.
    Trying to catch somewhat low.

Last edited by MBasic; 05-26-2017 at 12:41 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    5-27 & 5-28-2017...SAT & SUN

Same thing both days.
    I view this as active recovery/technique work.
    I did this last Sat....Sat only...but did not log it.

CLEAN & SQ.JERK PRACTICE
    . OHS 45*5
    . CG OHS 45*5
    . CG DROPS BTN SLOW 45*5
    . CG DROPS BTN FAST 45*5
    . CG SQ JERK 45*5*2
    . CLEAN +SQTJERK 95*1*10 e2mo2m

Last edited by MBasic; 05-28-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Page 67 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast