• starting strength seminar october 2024
    6-23-2017 FRI.

-CLEAN & PWR JERK-
    . 95 (2+2) scraped shin on 1st; hit dick with bar on 2nd
    . 95 (1+2); 135(2+2); 160 (1+1); 185 forward clean; 185; 195
    . 205 x 12 singles

-TALL SNATCH HI PUL KLOKOV THING-
    . HERE
    . (but not like an animal/idiot?; not as much back; staying upright; bending the knees a little . . .like with a small dip)
    . 95x5; 125x5; 145 3x5

NOTES:
    - feelz pretty gud
    - nee iz ok
    - sleep is so so (shitty, but not xtra shitty)
    - i thinks 2moro ill do a snatch tech xrcize like a technique whore, like sn pul unders

need to stretch dem ankles; maybe it was forward:

I have refined my technique a little bit:
    - I manage not to hump the bar out into space so much; but still need improvement
    - I don't ridiculously arch backwards at final extension; I go 'up' more, and stay more vertical; we'll see when the weights get heavier
    - I still head whip something awful
    Last edited by MBasic; 06-23-2017 at 01:05 PM.

6-23-2017 pm

Question: who lifts the most weight at a WL meet?
    ....the loaders, that's who.
    My son's gym had a mock meet after his practice.
    With timed lifts and every thing like a real meet.
    I volunteered to change weights.
    Its basically CrossFit. With so many varied lifters, girls and men's session back to back.... you are switching shit all around, and fast. It lasted over two hours. My upper and lower erectors had major pump when it was done. They have AC ...it works ok, they have to open a door in the back or it gets stale....basically it's hot. (116 ish outside today)

So logging this as cardio, passive recovery workout whatever.

Lol

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    6-24-2017. SAT

kilos, cuz sons oly gym

-VERY TALL SNATCH/PULL UNDER-
    .40*3;40*3;50*3;55*3;60*3; 65 3*3

-POWER SNATCH-
    .60 2*2; 65*2; 70*2; 75*2;
    .80*2; But squatted the 2nd rep
    .80*2 miss forward, miss behind
    . 176#*1 is a PR for pwr snatch....I came very close to a DBL

--------------------------------------------------

the boy's training is going well.
    I shoved a 3/4" solid metal rod inside his PVC pipe he uses
    It weights about 9# now, better than a weightless pipe IMO.
    Today he did some drop unders...snatch.
    And then some actual squat snatches with the 9# pipe.
    He did well.
    At the end, we messed around (per coach) with back squats. He did 3x3 with 15kg bar. We started off with several singles, then doubles. Not at all grindy. Form is good. Mostly practice getting tight, getting the bar on the back, and getting out of the rack and set up...stance and what not.

I stopped him at three reps, at first slightest sign of it getting tough. Seems appropriate. He does a bijillion squats with the weighted pipe during snatches and clean practice ....real slow air squat reps so to speak.

I wish we had a 10 kg bar...could do more reps that way. I think in about a week he might be able to try a clean or snatch with an empty girls bar.

Up until now, (two weeks) it's been all PVC pipe work...slow deliberate position stuff. Jerk footwork is fast.
    Last edited by MBasic; 06-24-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Well done with the Boy!

If you had long hair your head whip would be a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Well done with the Boy!
    thanks, he likes it when they try something new and he 'gets it'.....he gets fustrated when he can't do something...obvs

If you had long hair your head whip would be a picture.
    I'd be happy with any hair.
    You know I've studied my head whip, it's mostly my neck staying at the same angle relative to the back through the lift. I cannot fix it . (Look forward at a fixed spot)

I plan on re interjecting myself into that thread in Rips QA....I need to find time to sit in front of my computer for about an hour, undisturbed

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    thanks, he likes it when they try something new and he 'gets it'.....he gets fustrated when he can't do something...obvs

I'd be happy with any hair.
    You know I've studied my head whip, it's mostly my neck staying at the same angle relative to the back through the lift. I cannot fix it . (Look forward at a fixed spot)

I plan on re interjecting myself into that thread in Rips QA....I need to find time to sit in front of my computer for about an hour, undisturbed
    Generally I can't be bothered to argue...but in this instance I can't let a video that bad go unchallenged.

6-25-2017. SUN

Cardio. Wifey wants to go on a big ass hike in a couple of weeks.....so practice, training, etc

35-40 # back pack
    95 deg start
    105 deg finish
    2 hours approx.
    4 miles
    Pretty good elevation gain

My hip flexors are sore today/this morning

Last edited by MBasic; 06-26-2017 at 07:59 AM.

So you do live on the moon. . . . How far do you live from this place?

Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    So you do live on the moon. . . . How far do you live from this place?
    30 minutes (sunday traffic; mostly freeway pretty much)

Was wife's idea, and then SHE wakes up late. SO we didn't get there until ~8am, which is way too late for Arizona summer time.

at 10am when done, it was around 105 approx., that was the local weather said.

We shoulda got there at 5:30-6. Maybe (10 degree cooler already, or more shade since we were on the westside of those mountains)

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

6-26-2017 MON

-SNATCH-
    . # pounds / @ Lifetime
    . 100x3; 100x3; 120x3; 140x3; 160x3;
    . 180x3 triple PR, sorta . . . got under and stood all reps, but one was sorta sloppy.
    . 185 2x3 PR but soft elbow here, one forward there, etc. . . . . etc, same thing, stood them all, but needs improvment
    . 185 used to intimdate the hell out of me for some reason, only did doubles a few times . . .and trying to land 2 successful reps was rare.

-HBBS-
    . 135x5; 185x5; 227.5 3x8 @ 3 min intervals (~2:35 rests)
    . cardio . . .sucking wind

-SNATCH DROPS-
    . was supposed to do push press, but I had some shaky lockouts/pressouts, so I did this instead to work on the lockouts
    . 95 2x5; 115x5; 135x5; 155x3; 155x5; 165x5; 165x5
    . this are cardio . . . sucking wind

-T-BAR ROWS-
    . 3 plts 3x10 . . . 3min intervals
    Last edited by MBasic; 06-26-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Mike, I remember you messing around with added heel height in your Romaleos a la the Chinese. Do you still use lifts or did you decide against it?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher John View Post
    Mike, I remember you messing around with added heel height in your Romaleos a la the Chinese. Do you still use lifts or did you decide against it?
    Yes, currently using Romaleo2s with an extra 1/4"-1/2"? added to bottom.

You have to be careful, I think most people see their heel lifting and think it's a flexibility issue, when they are just getting forward in their balance. I have this 2nd problem as well.

I think my dorsi flexion currently sucks, so I've stayed with it. If you're shin internally rotates and dorsi flexs....you can get a false sense on mobility. If I track my ankle/foot/knee all in line, or worse yet, a knees out scenario, my dorsiflexion sucks.

It's weird when you first try it, if you squat and "stay in your knees", your knees track way forward, you can feel the Xtra load on them.

That's the rub, the more my knees go forward in the squat, the more my whole system goes forward, and then I'm out of balance even more.

For snatch and clean recoveries I think the added heel helps tho. Down there you can get into weird positioning that's nothing like a front squat, just for a nano second.

I'm really on the fence about it... undecided

Page 72 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast