starting strength gym
Page 78 of 87 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike's YNDTP program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just a quick note on your post at the bottom of the last page...I see Andy Askow (IPF Junior World Classic Champ) and Preston Turner (can't remember what he's won but a very strong National Level Classic Powerlifter in the USAPL) have both switched to WL, seemingly having been spoken to by USAW...I've not been interested enough to confirm this properly but, if so, it's an interesting approach towards athlete recruitment if it continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Just a quick note on your post at the bottom of the last page...I see Andy Askow (IPF Junior World Classic Champ) and Preston Turner (can't remember what he's won but a very strong National Level Classic Powerlifter in the USAPL) have both switched to WL, seemingly having been spoken to by USAW...I've not been interested enough to confirm this properly but, if so, it's an interesting approach towards athlete recruitment if it continues.
    It'd be interesting to see how quickly they came become technically proficient at the classic lifts. or not.
    Hoping for the best.

They should raid various Gymnastic Operations and "steal" all the 11-12 year olds right before they hit puberty.
    Right as slow strength training could produce a its best effect.

. . . this would happen after they have be training and adapting their CNS to explosive-ballistic-plyometric movements since age 5 or 6.

I think it would work well.
    Last edited by MBasic; 07-26-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Sounds like a good scheme tbh...raiding PL is too little too late, even in Askow's case it's a good five years too late...I mean, for a Super, 17 - 18 *maybe* ?

7-27-2017 THURS W3.D1

-SNATCH-
    . wu; 95x3; 120x3; 145x3; 165x3; 185x2 (miss 1)
    . 7x2 worksets:
    . 195x2 X&1; shoulda had it, both looked good
    . 195x2 X&1; same
    . 195x2 good; ALL TIME PR FOR DBL w/ 195
    . 200x2 wut da hell, go 4 it; 1&X ...2nd jumped back
    . 190x2 good; but #2 step fwd a little while standing, was fwd
    . 190x2 1&X; 2nd looked real nice, 'til I lost balance standing for some weird reason, stupid
    . 190x3 good but ~meh~; PR FOR TRIPLE w/ 190; last rep step forward while standing;
    . got pissed and went for triple on last set; saved 2nd rep in catch, was trying to go behind
    . was real tired by this point; I'm surprised I could do it . . . 3rd was forward but saved standing.
    . I need to do 190 7x2 straight across next week, and hit every rep!
    . these need to look better

-HBBS-
    . wu; 135x5; 205x5; 265 3x5
    . shorter rests; still fuckery; still harder than it should be

-SNATCH BALANCE-
    . 135x3; 155x3; 165x3; 175x3; 180xFail
    . I suck at these; should do SNG PP instead on something

-LAT ROW THINGY MACHINE-
    . 127.5#ea side 3x10; then 1x10@90# . . . 3 min intervals

Last edited by MBasic; 07-27-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Sounds like a good scheme tbh...raiding PL is too little too late, even in Askow's case it's a good five years too late...I mean, for a Super, 17 - 18 *maybe* ?
    Are you saying my Tokyo dreams are...misguided?

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    . For reference: I've done 235 3s x 2r for a clean only before; C&J 3sx1r . . . so this is sorta PR
    . next week at 240 should tell me something
    Nice volume PR. Focusing on more high intensity/low rep classical lift work in this cycle?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher John View Post
    Nice volume PR. Focusing on more high intensity/low rep classical lift work in this cycle?
    I don't know if the intensity is really high per se . . . maybe cuz I'm a pussy.
    Its really not heavy. If I could get to a 250x1x10 in 3 weeks. . . that'd be something we could hang our hat on.
    My Fsqt strength to pulling strength is so disportional its not even funny.
    So clean recovery intensity might be 'high'; pulling wise I'm holding back so much it's so weird; the jerks are easy.
    (this is common for beginners; no novice Oly person needs to be pushing the deadlift at the beginning . . . at all . . .period)
    (I'd say someone coming out of SS LP would be the same; with DL & LBBS emphasis and all)

But on the clean pull-turnover-catch part; it seems to working with 10x1 at a moderate weight.
    I seem to be able to focus on better pulls, catches, and speed under the bar.
    Doubles and Triples it doesn't work w/ the CJ . . for me anyways.
    I just get tired and sloppy;
    OR the weight is a little too light (if I do x2s and x3s) . . . then I'm just doing a weird PC+FS instead of a proper clean.

I will give Rip cred...
    I think PP3 mentions this: "15x1 for C&J at a challenging weight" . . . or something like that.
    Snatches are programmed at 8x2 IIRC. . . for his novice Oly program IIRC.
    Which I've slowly worked into doubles on the SN day (today was 7x2; was doing triples before)
    So yeah, I'm doing that I guess. (not Rip's program; just those two rep schemes)

I've also learned you have to snatch ALL THE TIME. or at least do a SN variant or some sort.

We will see how long this last though.
    I never been able to string anything together for any length of time lately.
    Appears to be working, vacation fucked things up 2 1/2 weeks ago.

I'm so careful not to get my hopes up . . .
    but my CJ/SN totally fucking sucked donkey dick at HBBS of 325 3x5 / 360x1RM / BW 222+/-
    Its only 265 3x5 right now; (@BW~218), and sorta difficult at that . . . I cannot explain why I can't squat for shit.
    I'm two years older now too . . . my test is dropping . . . NME fading, etc
    Say if the squat went back up to 325 3x5, well . . .what would my classic lifts be?????
    Last edited by MBasic; 07-27-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher John View Post
    Are you saying my Tokyo dreams are...misguided?
    I hope not...if yours are "misguided" mine are "FUUUUCKED".

Nice volume PR.
    Quite agree.

I do think singles suit you better though, MmmBop...if your last rep of a triple is your best rep then you probably be better off not doing the first two....

7-29-2017. SAT. W3.D2

-SPLIT JERK FR RACK-
    . haven't done split jerk in 18 months???
    . Switching my front foot to left foot first
    . Feel like throwing a football w left hand
    . Lots of drill with 45#
    . 95*3; 145*3; 185*3
    . 190 to 220 by 5 lb. increments
    . 225 10*1

-BTN SNG PUSH PRESS-
    . 135*5; 160*5; 185 3*5

-CLEAN PULL-
    . 225*3; 275 10*3

-DIPS-
    . BW+10#: 4*12

Last edited by MBasic; 07-29-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Also, what is sorta ironic about your post in Rip's QA....is that Max is a fairly strong guy.....worked under Ivan Abediev(sp) for several years....Rip has 'a thing' for that old Bulgarian coach, like he was a genius. Is referenced in PP 3, ....Max doesn't program his weight lifters like that tho....seems more like Russian/Periodazation programming instead of what Ivan did. So Max can see that's not going to work without the drugs. Max is affiliated with JTS/Powerlifting circles....knows how to program for, and appreciate the value of strength. But yet, from what I seen his lifters train, it's not all that different that what other USAW lifters are doing. At least, that the impression I get on the surface.
    The Bulgarian system works great if you've unfettered access to drugs and aren't worried about ruining your lifters. The Soviet/Russian periodization approach works far better if you don't want to ruin your lifters and are comfortable with them peaking later in their careers.

starting strength coach development program
    I would agree. Russian used a lot of drugs too. But yeah, true Bulgarian system is crazy.

7-31-2017? W3.D3

-CLEAN + POWER JERK-
    . 100# 3+3; 140 3+2; 170 2+1; 200 1+1
    . 220 1+1 ...this feel great, ez
    . 240 10 singles
    . 1st rep felt great although I caught it fwd
    . 2nd rep caught with vertical shins and back, fell on ass
    . about rep 5-7 power jerks got pressout-ish
    . Cleans were ok intensity wise
    . Need to get split jerk caught up to this weight asap.
    . Maybe I microload this day from now on (242.5 next wk)
    . Around 5th rep, my lower back popped on the jerk
    . Back started to get stiff around 8
    . I may be injured, we'll see if it stiffens up tonight/today
    . I deleted the snatch exercise and the abz

(funny that video glitches right at extension)
    Last edited by MBasic; 08-01-2017 at 06:20 AM. Reason: video comment

Page 78 of 87 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast