Thread: Fatass rises for the third time

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Squat 235 x 3 x 5
    Seated OHP 90 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift 250 1 x 5

Went well, for a comedy of errors.
    I warmed up as if I was doing 255lb squats rather than 235 due to reading being hard; this made my two-rep final warmup 230. Laughed, waited five minutes, put the plates on, and got three decent sets. Last rep on each was a little bit of a grind.
    Did a bench warm-up set then realized it was press day. Still easily for 3x5 with little wrist hyperextension issues.
    Deadlifts were acceptable, but I've gained a knee-cave issue now that I'm pulling my arms in. It's always one damned thing after another. Five reps went up easy.

Back on the rebuild train.

Squat 200 x 3 x 5
    Seated OHP 82.5 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift 225 1 x 5

Yes, reset again for illness & recovery & stress eating my sleep. Skipped the 90% warmups on all as I didn't know where the struggle to get reps would land, and it looks like about 20% losses across the board.

Work stress is a fucking gains goblin.
    Last edited by I_iz_a_fatass; 11-05-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Squat 205 x 3 x 5
    Bench 125 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift 235 x 1 x 5

Was a good session. Squats weren't a grind, but still had only maybe one rep in the tank.
    Bench was a breeze, I could have gone 5x5 easily.
    Deadlifts also flew up, although the bar is drifting forward a little at liftoff; still all were solid.

Squat 210 x 3 x 5
    Seated OHP 87.5 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift 245 1 x 5

Squats were okay, with some bar-forward issues and my heels moving up a little on a few reps; none were ever in jeopardy of missing.
    Presses were also nicely done, last set last rep was a little strained, but easily could have cranked another.
    Deadlifts were a breeze; I thought about going a second set, but good sense prevailed.

Damned fine session. Monday I go under for a colonoscopy. Tomorrow is all the fun of a day of jello-eating.

Squat 215 x 3 x 5
    Bench 130 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift 250 1 x 5

I got a bad case of dizziness between sets two and three that pervaded the rest of the session; it wasn't the "oh, I'm a bit off" but more the "oh, look, vision is constricting, my hearing's gone soft, and my hand are tingling a bit." I'm pushing it off to residual effect of versed/demerol on Monday's colonoscopy.
    Bench was good and solid, even though I mis-read the plates and warmed up with 127.5 instead of 117.5 for the top warm up set. I took more time between that and work sets and everything went.
    As a result of the dizziness throughout, I backed off deads from 255 to 250 and hit them with little issue. I'm still trying to work out the habit of that little rock back and hip-dip before lfitoff with the cue "PUSH the floor" rather than PULL.

Latest deadlift video is here.

Sled training

Sled x 20 yds x 12

So, tried the Butcher in the backyard and that's not happening - there's too many divots and such to get any momentum at all in any direction... so, took it to the driveway while SWMBO is out shopping for food.

Did a low bar to the driveway's end at 20 yards, then a highbar to get it back, effectively getting 40 yards per push pair. Rested sixty seconds between cycles and was burned up in ten minutes.

God, damn, either a 75lb sled is brutal or I'm horribly deconditioned.

Still, is a fun change of pace. I'm sure SWMBO will whine about the marks it makes on the new driveway we had installed in June.

I've never quite understood why trying to get a bit of kinetic energy from the rocking is inherently a bad thing. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    I've never quite understood why trying to get a bit of kinetic energy from the rocking is inherently a bad thing. Thoughts?
    I've noticed when I do it (YMMV) I also have a stronger tendency to round my lower back, it pulls the shoulders back, and the bar deviates from a vertical path by coming slightly forward immediately after breaking the platform.

Squat 220 x 3 x 5
    Seated OHP 92.5 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift 255 1 x 5

Squat warm-ups felt all kinds of heavy midway through but flattened out when I got to the 90% warmup; three sets fairly easily, with lumbar stress very evident in the second set; I think I may have placed the bar higher than usual.
    SOHP was smooth with a little struggle on the last rep, but no chance I was going to miss a rep.
    Deads were mixed. The first two reps were smooth and solid, but four really fell apart from breaking the platform to a strained lockout.

No dizziness this round, but I've been having terrible coughing for two days running.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat 225 x 3 x 5
    Bench 135 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift 250 1 x 5

Went in not wanting to lift, and after the squat warm-ups I knew it was going to be awesome.

Squats were pretty easy; only a little grindy on the last rep of the last set, but that was more bar slowness than grinding. It always feels like longer under the bar than it is.
    Bench press was brilliant; had a bad right hand bar position which pinched that palm badly on the second set, but even managed to fix that between reps two and three with a little shift. Second rep of set three didn't touch the chest, but a two-second paused-rep on the last rep of last set makes up for it.
    Deadlifts went up, but I think I did some more of that hip-dip before liftoff.

Squats

Deads

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast