Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jugrock's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    2/4/16 BW 206.1

M Squat 285x5x3
    BP 178x5x3 PR
    M DL 315x5 Belted to work on belt form. Went much better.

My lifting partner noticed that I don't have a straight bar path on BP, especially reps 4 & 5. I'm not sure if I'm hitting a spot too far down my chest or if it's just form breakdown due to limit weights. The bar goes up a few inches, moves horizontally until the moment arm is 0, then progresses on up. I've never had impingement problems afaik, so I'm not going to worry about it yet. My upper body needs all the progress it can get.

I don't log this, but all squat and press worksets are done belted. I'm working on getting used to a belt for DL. Haven't tried a belt on BP.

Hey Jug, have you ever experimented with more volume on the pressing movements? It seems like at a point a lot of guys just need higher volume to get past sticking points.

For example, for me, when I went to a 2 day/wk template, I did bench Int/press vol 1 day and press Int/bench vol the other. I do the same thing now on my 4 day/wk program with 2 days being upper body.

Doing that added about 10%+ to each lift so far.

No, but I know I need to. I've tried to work on dips, but for some reason they hurt my shoulders badly. One of the drawbacks to working in tandem with a lifting partner is that he doesn't want to sit around for another 2 sets of pressing before starting pulls. I may just need to do some extra volume after he's gone (my garage).

2/7/16 BW 206.1

H Squats 325x5x3 PR

Press 120x5,3,1 Shit.

DL 350x4 Belted. Bar bounced around too much after 3rd rep, and I should have totally reset before the 4th, but I like to keep a rhythm. I didn't get set well, and hitched a little on the 4th. The bar bounced sideways again and I tried to reset, but lost my rhythm and barely broke it off the floor.

Press 95x5, 105x5x2 for volume.
    Last edited by Jugrock; 02-07-2016 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Did DL workset belted for the first time.

2/7/16 ~30 min of light-moderate intensity basketball with my 10 yr old and his buddy about an hour after lifting. I won 11-6. I actually feel much better now.

2/9/16 BW 208.1

L Squats 260x5x3
    BP 180x5,4,2

Left elbow tendinitis flared between 2nd and 3rd set. I had more in me than 2, but elbow pain screwed me up. It came from stiff shoulders last light squat day.

Chins 0x0 Lazy and elbow.

In other news, I walked into Costco after work and as I walked by the spot where they tend to have salesmen trying to sell something, a very well- endowed and hot young lady said, "You can squeeze them". As I tried valiantly to breathe, she then said "Pillows. I'm selling pillows." I wish I could say I said something cool, but I just stammered "no thanks" and walked on.

I've been meaning to join Costco. Another good reason.

lol

2/12/16 Speed hiked/ran 1.5 miles on rocky, steep Rainbow Mtn. Lower back was screaming by 1/3 of the way, and I seriously considered getting on hands and knees for the last 200 or so yards. Obviously I need to work on mobility a bit more. I didn't realize how stiff I'd become.

2/14/16 Lower back still sore, and occasionally spasming.

H Squats 330x2,2 315x5 Well shit. Purely mental. I was worried about my back, worried about the weight, etc. On the first set, I let the bar get ahead of midfoot and bailed. This really got in my head on the second set, and I just wasn't prepared to grind hard enough. Obviously I don't know I could have gotten 3x5, but if I had been mentally prepared I'd like to think I had a decent chance. It turned out my back was fine.

BP 180x5x3 PR
    DL 350x5 PR With little fatigue from heavy squats, these were easy.

My lifting buddy made his 330 squats, so now I'm only ahead of him in DL. Sucks.

starting strength coach development program
    2/16/16 206.6

L Squats 260x5x3
    Press 95x8x3
    Chins 4,4,4,4,4

I'm going to try a 3x8 Volume day and a 1x5 Intensity day TM model for presses, as microloaded LP was stalling hard. I picked 3x8 over 5x5 simply so my lifting partner and I are doing the same # of sets. Plus it's a different feel. We'll see how it works.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast