starting strength gym
Page 84 of 94 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast

Thread: Performance-Adjusted Excellence

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Get better Man.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Enjoy that vacation! You're still a strong dude and more than likely a good hubby and kick ass dad.
    Thanks, Matt. I admire that 250 press, and I hope to bounce back like you have!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher John View Post
    Sorry to hear that, Eric. Hope your health issue isn't serious!

Could your recent weight loss over the past few months have hit your squat more than you anticipated?

Also, fwiw, the two pairs of wrist wraps I've purchased are all oriented for one (the right) hand.
    No worries, Chris. The issue is odd and uncomfortable, but seems to be subsiding. The squat issue is probably partially from the weight loss, but it's not helped by my inconsistent training. By the time I go to the meet, I really need to review what my actual volume and intensity looked like and see if I can make any sense out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Life seems to be a collection of stupid petty bullshit to wade through. It's only lifting, doesn't really mean anything when you're​ reflecting from your deathbed, and Titan wraps are the most deliberately annoying oversight ever. Don't go full Carni in Hawaii, apparently the place can do strange things to your mind.
    All true. Thanks, Jon. It can be the stupid petty bullshit that drives us mad sometimes, it's good to keep it in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Get better Man.
    Thanks, Chris. I'll have to get another pair of grippers!

You losing your #2 was the universe's way of giving me a fighting chance in our race.
    It's on!

BW - 187.4 Almost back to normal.

CoC:

Hand Reps w/ #1 Reps w/ T
    Left 45 150
    Right 45 150

Notes:

Feeling better. Flushed most of the extra weight (literally).

Quote Originally Posted by hector_garza View Post
    You losing your #2 was the universe's way of giving me a fighting chance in our race.
    It's on!
    I'm pretty sure you already have a leg up. I will try to be more consistent, and see whether I can justify getting another one soon.

Default Wednesday, June 28, 2017

BW - 190 (odd)

TT - ~100 min

Power Clean:

220 x 3 x 5

Bench:

315 x 1@9.75
    325 x F (close, but assisted lockout)
    275 x 4@9
    255 x 4@9 (switched to my old [shorter] wrist wraps)
    255 x 5@9
    255 x 5@9

Beltless Squat:

315 x 1 x 3*
    315 x 5 x 3

Press:

165 x 5 @9
    165 x 4 @9
    165 x 4 @9.5

Notes:

So, I'm not sure about the longer wrist wraps. They are probably better in the long run, but right now they make everything worse. The * with squat was me trying to figure out grip. It seems like the wrist wraps, thumbs around, narrow grip is great for heavy singles, but any series or collection of reps it just sucks. I might have to work up to the shoulder flexibility or get used to the wrist wraps or both. Tight upper back, with thumbs over, mid-wide grip felt the best for the sets of 5 (although they still didn't feel too good).

Orchitis seems completely gone, but sleep is still shitty and my weight is still not cooperating, but at least I can (kind of) lift again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post

Orchitis seems completely gone, but sleep is still shitty and my weight is still not cooperating, but at least I can (kind of) lift again.

Zero sleep/night leads to death.
    24/hrs sleep a night leads to zero productivity.

Im speculating that anywhere from 20 to about five (normal human in a normal world) puts you in the sweet spot.

This is based entirely on the scientific fact that quality sleep is en vogue. And that which is en vogue has been wrong 100% of the time.

According to me, worrying about getting enough sleep is more detrimental than missing a couple hours. You will sleep when you are dead.

Ps: the next person that suggests sleep hygiene includes making sure to turn off all blue leds in the bedroom is going to be severely beaten and I will be catching up on sleep in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    Zero sleep/night leads to death.
    24/hrs sleep a night leads to zero productivity.

Im speculating that anywhere from 20 to about five (normal human in a normal world) puts you in the sweet spot.

This is based entirely on the scientific fact that quality sleep is en vogue. And that which is en vogue has been wrong 100% of the time.

According to me, worrying about getting enough sleep is more detrimental than missing a couple hours. You will sleep when you are dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    Ps: the next person that suggests sleep hygiene includes making sure to turn off all blue leds in the bedroom is going to be severely beaten and I will be catching up on sleep in prison.
    All true, Barry. (Were you ever in the service?) I was having a good run for a while when I got below 200, though (above ~210, my sleep-breathing is a catastrophe; my wife had to buy earplugs). Just missing the good ole days.

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    What about a lavender bath scent followed by reading with daddy and cuddles/feed with mummy? It's in all the manuals' sleep routine section...
    I do get to do story time with the little guy when I get home. It involves him picking a book out of his toy box, bringing it to me on the couch, then climbing on top of me, or he will turn around and walk backwards to me, indicating that I'm supposed to pick him up and put him on my lap. If he climbs up on his own and I'm laying down on the couch, naturally, he sits on my face and wants me to hold the book and read it to him; I must admit I'm still working this method. If I'm sitting up, he must step on my balls a couple times before sitting in my lap.

Then we read the book together. If he knows what something is, or what color it is, he will point and shout. If I point to something and ask him what it is or what color it is, he will either answer (if he knows) or promptly turn the page (if he doesn't know). He's started to point out when there are multiple instances of the same thing on a page, i.e. he will point to the 3 birds and say, "3." (Incidentally he will do the same thing when there are 2 birds, he says "3," because fuck 2, apparently.)

I have precisely 30 seconds to make each page entertaining, or the page is turned. Failing to make more than 3 pages sufficiently entertaining results in closing the book and starting the process over again with a new book. Occasionally, after all of the books are piled on the couch, we will repeat the process. Especially if we ask him if he's ready to put on his PJ's.

Make sure to turn off all the blue LEDs in your bedroom as part of good sleep hygiene.

Come at me, Charlie.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Make sure to turn off all the blue LEDs in your bedroom as part of good sleep hygiene.

Come at me, Charlie.
    Do you see that guy standing by the door? Venti starbucks? That's not me...

Page 84 of 94 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast