starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Log On The Tyne

Red face Log On The Tyne

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm from Newcastle, in the North East of England. If you don't understand my log title: see here.

Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 80kg
    Lifting Experience: Not a lot

Will be running a fairly simple Linear Progression to get things started: Trying to add weight to the squat, bench, DL, press and row every workout.

I'm taking 2 friends with me who I'm going to try and "coach" to the best of my ability to follow something similar. Although they prefer the higher volume, less rest approach which I may get sucked into now and again. Hence, throwing my log in with the other General Training Logs.

Lifting on a Tuesday, Thursday and one day on the weekend (whichever day I'm not hung over... ). Will track my lifts in detail, bodyweight, maybe some form videos so I can get some more educated opinions on my take on training.

Default Workout 1

14 07 16

BW 80kg

Squat
    20 x 2 x 5
    50 x 3 x 5

Press
    20 x 1 x 5
    40 x 5 x 5

Row
    20 x 1 x 5
    40 x 5 x 5

Shrugs
    60 x 3 x 8

Curls
    20 x 3 x 8

CGBP
    40 x 3 x 8

Hanging Leg Raises
    BW x 3 x Some

Notes
    Everything was fairly easy, Press I think I've started a bit high on but it wasn't tough. Rushed through the whole session in about 1 hour 15, have warned my friends that the rest intervals will begin to increase on the 5s to 3-5 mins. Going to stick to about 1.5 mins on the 3x8s though!

Have bought some liquid chalk (gym doesn't allow real chalk), a belt and microplates for later sessions. Not sure when to start using them?

Next session will look something like: Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Chins, DB Lateral Raise, DB Hammer Curls, LTE, Hanging Leg Raises. Increasing the 5s by 2.5kg a workout, DL by 5kg a workout.

Welcome aboard. I wonder if your Newcastle Brown Ale is better than what we get here in the states?

Thank you! Personally I think it must be the other way round, I don't see many people drinking it here any more at all. I've had it a few times (but only when it was the cheapest option!) I tend to stick to draft beers. Is it big in the states?

Props for the Log title!

I'm not sure the stuff they sell these days is the same stuff they used to sell 20 years ago...but Newky Brown used to be a regular tipple of mine.

Drive under the bridge every day on the way to work! Your theory sits well with the fact that I only see people aged 40 or older drinking it. May give it another go next time I'm out, for "fitness log purposes".

Questions

Have a few questions on when I should start using stuff.

Hook Grip - As soon as possible?
    Chalk - When hook starts failing?
    Belt - Once I get to ~BW squat? (Belt is trash btw, some velcro thing. Will invest in a good one when it's necessary)
    Microplates - I guess after a reset or 2 on press?

Default Workout 2

17 07 16

BW: 81kg

Bench
    20 x 2 x 5
    40 x 3
    60 x 5 x 5

Squat
    20 x 5
    40 x 3
    60 x 3 x 5

Deads
    60 x 5
    90 x 5

Press
    20 x 5
    35 x 3 x 8

Chins
    BW x 5,4,3,3,2

DB LTE
    10s x 3 x 12

DB Preacher Curls
    10s x 3 x 8

Plank
    2 x 60 sec

Notes
    Bodyweight up a kilogram, but I measured after having breakfast so probably nothing in it. Wanted a superset of a bicep and tricep exercise on the dumbbells but think I'm going to change both of those to other exercises. DB LTEs felt very awkward and I think I'd be better served with regular DB curls. Used the liquid chalk on the 90kg DL and it wasn't even close to slipping!

Solid session in all, still getting into the swing of things. If anyone has a suggestion of a good tricep exercise for this workout give me a shout! CGBP is fine in the other one though.

Eye catching log name!

I went to Newcastle (Tynemouth) the other day for work. Stayed in the Grand hotel by the beach. Couldn't believe how scenic it was lol. It was like being on holiday (after I finished work)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Samuel View Post
    Questions

Have a few questions on when I should start using stuff.

Hook Grip - As soon as possible?
    Chalk - When hook starts failing?
    Belt - Once I get to ~BW squat? (Belt is trash btw, some velcro thing. Will invest in a good one when it's necessary)
    Microplates - I guess after a reset or 2 on press?
    I don't do "The Program" (or anything like it in fact) but I would say:

Hook Grip - Now. Easier to get used to it from the start.
    Chalk - Use it sparingly from the start.
    Belt - If you have no history of back problems I would prefer beginners to never use one, but I guess that would be a minority view in most places. If you are using one I would say use it from the start (it takes a while to learn to use a belt "correctly"), although of course you don't have to do everything with one on.
    Microplates - I think it is preferable to never get stuck than it is to get stuck, get unstuck and then progress again so basically whenever you think you are going to fail...but there is lots of discussion on the appropriateness of this in the Training Forums above. YMMV.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast