starting strength gym
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: The anti-patterns training log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    6/30

It's been almost 3 full weeks since my injury. I had surgery to repair it about 10 days past and had the initial post-surgical cast removed today. For the next several weeks I'm wearing a brace that restricts my ROM - gradually increasing it over time until I can fully extend my arm again without risking the repair. The surgeon encouraged me to go ahead and restart with as much and whatever weight training that I feel capable of/comfortable with as long as it doesn't involve my left arm. I'm not entirely sure what all that will be

For today:
    Leg press, one arm DB should presses, sled pull. Having done nothing at all for the past couple of weeks, I'm expecting terrible DOMS in my future even though I didn't do much or go too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by hbw96734 View Post
    6/30

It's been almost 3 full weeks since my injury. I had surgery to repair it about 10 days past and had the initial post-surgical cast removed today. For the next several weeks I'm wearing a brace that restricts my ROM - gradually increasing it over time until I can fully extend my arm again without risking the repair. The surgeon encouraged me to go ahead and restart with as much and whatever weight training that I feel capable of/comfortable with as long as it doesn't involve my left arm. I'm not entirely sure what all that will be

For today:
    Leg press, one arm DB should presses, sled pull. Having done nothing at all for the past couple of weeks, I'm expecting terrible DOMS in my future even though I didn't do much or go too heavy.
    Hope you recover quickly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hector_garza View Post
    Hope you recover quickly!!!
    Thanks! I've got about a month to go in this brace and then PT starts.

7/2
    Safety squat bar - 3x5@175
    Right arm only:
    DB bench press - 3x5@90
    Lat pull down - 3x5@70
    DB shoulder press - 3x5@55

7/4
    SSB - 3x5@195
    Right arm only:
    DB bench press - 3x5@95
    Lat pull down - 3x5@70
    DB shoulder press - 3x5@60
    Cable row - 3x5@90
    Reverse hyper - 3x5@100

Starting to figure out some sort of plan for training for the coming weeks. Safety bar squats feel odd - hopefully I adapt quickly. Have been told to expect that upper back strength will become an issue when the weight gets heavier. I think I'm getting used to the DB variants of the main lifts pretty quickly - biggest issue is balance since I have nothing in my left hand. Trying reverse hypers as a sorta-kinda replacement for deadlifts. Obviously not really the same. Weights listed for the cable pulls are for the plates loaded - guessing 15-20 pounds more for the unloaded base unit.

7/6
    SSB - 3x5@215
    Right arm only:
    DB bench - 3x5@100
    Lat pull down - 3x5@75
    DB press - 3x5@65
    Cable row - 3x5@95
    Reverse hyper - 3x5@110

Mini-LP continues nicely. Like most gyms, the one I go to only has DBs up to 100 pounds. So for DB bench, I wonder how I should progress? I guess add reps and work towards 3x10 and then start adding sets? Anyone care to chime in?

7/7
    No lifting today, but I did get my brace adjusted - can now extend my left arm to 45 degrees. Also, bodyweight has been consistently around 230 this week - that's down from a PR of 247 in early May. Nice. OTOH, I did lose about 5 pounds post surgery from just not wanting to eat, so maybe not the smartest way to go about it...

7/8
    SSB - 3x5@235
    Right arm only:
    DB bench - 3x6@100
    Lat pull down - 3x5@80
    DB press - 3x5@70
    Cable row - 3x5@100

Brain was melted from the ridiculous heat and forgot reverse hypers. Since I couldn't go up in weight on DB bench, I added an additional rep per set. DB press - barely completed fifth rep on first set but then second and third sets were no problem. Guess my warm up needs to be tweaked. Regardless, jumping by 5 pounds isn't going to be sustainable. Maybe add reps until I get to 3x8 and then add weight and drop reps back to 3x5?

7/11
    SSB - 3x5@255
    Right arm only:
    Superset:
    DB bench - 3x7@100
    Lat pull down - 3x5@82.5
    Superset:
    DB press - 3x5@75
    Cable row - 3x5@105

Lower back was on fire during SSB - hmm, not a good sign especially since I skipped yesterday. Tried for one more increment on DB press and just barely got it. Definitely need to back off and try for increased reps instead on Thursday. Skipped reverse hypers again because my low back still hadn't calmed down. Likely need to make smaller jumps on SSB

7/22
    Been working lots of 12-15 hour days lately including both days last weekend. Training has been inconsistent much less logging. Trying to get back on track today.

SSB - 3x5@225 - have been having lots of trouble with my low back lately and its limiting what I can do with this. Actually first day I've done it in probably a week and a half. I suspect poor ergonomics at my desk and when working from home aren't doing me any favors
    Right hand only:
    DB bench - 5x7@100
    Cable pull down - 3x5@90
    DB press 3x8@65
    Cable row - 3x5@110

Should be the last week of wearing the brace on my left arm.

7/25
    Worked through lunch today. Went to lift having only had a couple of those neon orange peanut butter crackers I grabbed out of the office snack cabinet. Not the best plan, but at least I'm not trying to hit PRs.

SSB - 3x5@235
    Right arm only:
    DB bench - 5x8@100
    Cable pull down - 3x5@92.5
    DB press - 3x6@70
    Cable row - 3x5@112.5

Low back is still lit up from the moment I start warming up squats. Lots of stretching and rolling before and between sets helps somewhat. Pulls are probably about at the end of LP even using 2.5 pound increments and even accounting for not having eaten enough.

7/27

SSB - 3x5@245
    Right arm only:
    DB bench - 5x9@100
    Cable pull down - 6,5,5@92.5
    DB press - 3x7@70
    Cable row - 6,5,5@112.5

starting strength coach development program
    7/29

SSB - 3x5@255
    Right arm only:
    DB bench - 3x10,2x9@100
    Cable pull down - 3x6@92.5
    DB press - 3x7@70 (attempted but failed 8th rep on each set)
    Cable row - 6,5,5@112.5

Progress appears to be slowing down on everything.

Meanwhile, I had a follow up yesterday I've finally been cleared to quit wearing the brace 99% of the time. I have full ROM at the elbow, however I'm mostly stuck in neutral in terms of rotation. Pronation especially is difficult with minimal ROM. This is one of the things that PT is supposed to help me with starting Monday. Been told that I still need to be vary careful about holding too much weight too quickly as it will still take a while for the tendon to be fully fused back onto the bone. All-in-all, I appear to be on schedule with my recovery.

Atrophy is very obvious compared to my right arm. My boss is joking that I'm on my way to looking like a professional bowler. Really looking forward to being able to start getting some tone and size back.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast