starting strength gym
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: gain 25lbs & get stronger

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Sweet - I'm surprised you had decent legs too for this after a Half yesterday...I'd have needed a lie down.

Thinking about it - if you are doing 60 x 5 and then 5 x 5 at 62.5 you are: a) REALLY doing 6 sets of 5, and b) it was your comment about 60kg feeling hard and not having the confidence to go up beyond 62.5 - if your last warm-up is so close it is going to feel more-or-less like a work set anyways but you still have it in the back of your mind that you have to go HEAVIER yet for your actual work sets, which is not a recipe for attacking those sets with confidence!

Thanks Chris, sometimes I fall into the trap of just doing what I am used to doing instead of training smart.
    I appreciate your advice here.

I haven't been doing much conditioning for a while, but I promised myself I'd get back into it once the half-marathon was out of the way.

About 7am.
    Heavy bag session (punching only).
    6 x 3 mins with 45 secs rest.

In my lunch break.
    Went for a run of about 40 minutes. I aimed to do hill repeats, but by the second rep it was obvious that my goitre was preventing me breathing enough for the hard efforts. Headed for the park and finished off the run at an easy pace. This was a harsh reminder of the impact of the goitre.

To Row or not to Row
    Also, I have been reading a few more of Rip's comments about the Barbell Row. The way I have been doing these is as close as I can get to the "Pendlay Row" technique.
    I'm now doing Power Cleans on Wednesdays and Deadlifting on Mondays and Fridays. So the Rows are definitely in there as an assistance exercise (I do them Mon & Fri at home in my garage where no-one can see me), not a substitution.

I've also only just realised that I should be doing 5 sets of 3 PCs, rather than 3 sets of 5. Sometimes I am very dense!

Perhaps I'll just carry on as I am doing, the fact that I split my workouts into two parts on Mon & Fri makes me think I can handle this additional exercise.
    Last edited by solitaire; 10-04-2016 at 10:01 AM.

Row
    67.5 kg x 5 x 3

Press
    47.5kg: 5, 5, 4
    Missed last rep. on the Press. Oh well.

Squat
    97.5kg x 5 x 3

Power Clean
    I was feeling my way a bit here, due to adapting to triples.
    50kg x 3 x 3
    52.5kg x 3
    55kg x 3
    Last edited by solitaire; 10-05-2016 at 08:22 AM.

Just for the record, I have only ever run one marathon (2008, White Peak Marathon) and my time was 3:41:04.

I also did two half-marathons to prepare for this.
    I can't now find the results for the Leeds half, but my time for the 2007 Wilmslow Half-Marathon was 1:43:33.
    I've also done some fell-running.
    Did a few short races in the Peak District (near where I live) and a "run" up and down Ben Nevis (yes, I am proud of that).

I don't do much running now really (trying to do less, but my OH likes me to train with her ...).

Anyway ... must get back to eating and not running ...
    Last edited by solitaire; 10-06-2016 at 09:46 AM.

Garage

Row
    68.5kg x 5 x 3
    This is getting quite hard now, may deload (this may be a theme for today's log ).

Press
    46kg x 6
    45kg x 5 x 2
    After reading a bit more in PP, I think I may try just one work set on 47.5 for next week's sessions.
    Keeping the intensity but losing some volume.

Gym

Squat
    100kg x 5 x 3
    These felt better than the last time I visited 100kg squats .

Bench
    65kg x 5 x 3
    Pleased with this, didn't overdo it on the warm-up and so managed a heavier work-set.

Chins
    5kg on belt, 7 x 3.
    Pleased that I managed 7 each time. Hoping for 8 reps at least once next week.

Deadlift
    135kg x 5
    Hmm, these were tough.

Weighed in at weekend, still 12st 8lbs. Trying to eat a bit more this week.

Making some changes to my lifts. I'm now planning only to deadlift once per week.

Garage

Press
    47kg x 5 x 3
    Happy with this as I got all the reps at a (slightly) higher weight. Going to press first to avoid any negative effects from fatigue.

Row
    45kg x 5 x 5
    Deloaded this down to a weight at which I am not moving my torso and did 5x5. Just to see how that goes.

Gym

Squat
    102.5kg x 5 x 3

Dips
    6.25kg on belt: 8 x 3
    Only realised afterwards, that I did 9 on the last set last week.
    Must aim to get a couple of 9s in next time.

Power Clean
    57.5kg x 3 x 5
    Last edited by solitaire; 10-10-2016 at 07:45 AM.

Heavy Bag session.
    6 x 3 min rounds, 45 secs rest.

Went pretty well, will do 7 rounds next time.

Press
    47.5kg: 5, 4, 5
    Failed to get final rep of second set. Went at the last set with a little more aggression and got all 5.

Row
    47.5kg x 5 x 5

Squat
    62.5kg x 20

Feel a little unsatisfied, but this will probably be all I get done today.

As a semi-serious suggestion - would you be able to cycle along with the OH if you feel the running is no longer what you want to be doing, would she be happy with that? You'd still get to spend the time together...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    As a semi-serious suggestion - would you be able to cycle along with the OH if you feel the running is no longer what you want to be doing, would she be happy with that? You'd still get to spend the time together...
    Thanks Chris

Actually I hate cycling!
    But anyway her next race is a 10k, so I guess I am up for that.

edit

I think the reason why I felt a bit cr@p after Wednesday's workout might have been my failure to go heavy on the rows, so I am planning to go back to higher intensity there.
    My workout tomorrow is under threat as I have to stay in and wait for a piano to be delivered. It's unlikely I will be able to fit a gym session in. I will probably do something in my garage, but I am already feeling frustrated that I won't be able to squat or deadlift heavy. Grr.
    Last edited by solitaire; 10-13-2016 at 09:16 AM. Reason: whining

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast