starting strength gym
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who put a running log on Starting Strength?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    3/11/17
    Cut my run short due to feeling wrong. It was windy and in the teens. My phone died again due to temps, but I ran about 3 miles
    3/13/17
    My first flu lifting session.
    Cycle 2 week 1

Squats
    165x5,190x5, 220x4F for my top set. I was expecting at least 7 reps. Even dead sick I should have gotten five. Going forward I'm going to drop my training max 10% and do the Joker Sets if I get 3 reps past the minimum. It sucks to not progress on squats, but

Bench
    120x5,140x5, 155x8
    FSL rest-pause 11-6-3. This cycle I'm going to do rest pause on the presses to save a little time I'm also gonna ditch all assistance stuff especially pullups, and make one more push to let my elbows heal.

3/14/17
    Lots of snow shoveling
    First interval workout of the year
    60s 5k pace 90s fast walk x8
    Knees are feeling better. I think my tendons weren't ready for the prolonged running volume, although my muscles and lungs were. My mantra needs to be easy does it.

3/17/17
    Recovering from flu
    Light squats to warm up
    OHP
    5's week. 85x9, joker 95x5 FSL 20 reps rest pause

Deadlift
    5's. 280x6, FSLx7

3/18/17
    Treadmill - one episode of Iron fist at 12 min pace. The show is not as bad as everybody said it would be, but no luke cage either.
    Last edited by augeleven; 03-19-2017 at 07:01 AM.

3/19/17

More treadmill, more Iron Fist. Still too much ice to run at midnight on the sides of dimly lit roads. I'm doing a laddered walk/run interval where each interval is faster then the next. Mostly to keep me running indoors while sane. Soon I will be outside, and the smell of the earth waking up and the sounds and smells of the overflowing brook that runs besides me will be amazing. But until then: Iron Fist it is.

3/20/17
    Cycle 2: 3s week

Squats
    205x7, 230x5-6 ( I forgot to write it down), FSL 180x8x3

Bench
    165x7 FSL rest-pause 130x10,6,4

no assistance - although I have been greasing the groove with sets of 3 dips every time I walk by the stand. My elbows are feeling better. I really think that my elbow problems came from chinups rather than bar placement on the squat.

On the speakers: Dinosaur Jr, Cannibal Corpse, and Slayer. I forgot how much I like Reign in Blood.

Now that I'm only squatting heavy once a week I obsess over my programming all week. I went back and forth on whether to lower my training max due to my last squat workout.
    The pressure to go back to a SS-style program is strong, but three workouts at 2 hours each is tough time-wise, and impossible recovery-wise with my cardio "addiction". Am I doing the right thing? Probably not, but I don't want to fall down the rabbit hole of program hopping. I'm giving this 531 experiment until September at least.

Quote Originally Posted by augeleven View Post
    3/19/17

I'm giving this 531 experiment until September at least.
    After reading Jordan's thought's on 531, my desire to go back to ye ole SS template was too hard to manage. I was already 531 like a lazy man's two day version of SSLP.

So instead of Press/Deadz day, I did:

3/23/17
    Squat 205x5x3
    Press 85x5x3
    Deadlift 300x3

total time~80- minutes?
    So I'm giving myself permission to hop back on the LP early provided that if technique goes south or I start feeling bad, then I reset. I started low to build up some success. I'm going to keep a 5 3 1 rotating rep on deadlift, and start doing Backoff sets, So next week will be 315x1 then 280ish for 5-8. I also may throw in extra backoffs on press. You know, for fun.

3/21/17
    Treadmill ladder interval progression thingy 2 miles
    3/22/17
    treadmill easy run/walk 6mph/3mph 2 miles

Knees feel better. I may up my running volume a little. Elbows are also feeling better, but they hurt a bit when dead hanging from a pullup bar.

No music today. I just played in the pit for High School production of Adams Family. I don't want to hear any more music.

3/24/17
    Being lazy on the treadmill still. Hopefully outside this coming
    Run walk intervals
    4:1 6mph:3mph This is my official medium pace. Going forth I'm planning on the 3 runs a week A sprintish one, a slower vo2maxish interval and a slower, hopefully longer dealy different gritI had planned to upping my miles significantly, but (surprise, surprise) I'm having recovery issues. OR, I'm pussying out on the runs. there is something to be said about the grit you build pushing through endurancey stuff: it's a completely different grit than sets of five. That said, I'm still putting up lame weight so...

3/27/17
    Squat 210x5x3
    Bench 165x5x3 135x8
    Dead lift 305x4,1 (ugly) 255x4(ugh)

New program: Like I mentioned last entry, I'm going back to fives. I'm going to run SSLP on presses and HLM/Advanced Novice on squats and deads.
    Squats like Monday 3x5, Wednesday light, and Friday 3x5 or 1x5 if I'm not feeling it. If I choose the 1x5 I try that weight again on Monday. Andy B mentioned a setup like this for HLM somewhere. Monday is Deads with a backoff set, Friday is RDL.

Hour long workout with <5 minute rests
    Put the itunes on shuffle: The highlights were Naked City (jazz for cartoonish metalheads), Mastodon, Lennie Tristano, and a track of me playing All Blues from college days.

3/28/17
    AM 1 mile fasted walk before work

late: late rehearsal: got in just before 1am. Hopped on the 'mill and immediately hopped off.
    shitty sleep

3/29/17

light squats 175x5,6,6
    miscounted twice. super focused on thoracic extension

Press 95x5x3, 85x7
    doing these on seated on my flat bench. Just figured out leg drive on these. Right forearm a little sore

BB rows 55x8,75x8 95x8x2 starting these conservatively. second set set I felt my wrists curl to cheat. Pretty sure that's how i fucked elbows doing chins.
    BB Curls 3x10 @ 30 done really slowly. I'm hoping these will get my elbows chin ready if I do these with slow eccentrics and progress them. Glad I'm in my basement curling 30lb. Hopefully I don't do anything stupid like post that fact on a strength forum.

Lift listen and share:
    There are live sets from St. Vitus on the youtubes. I think I was at the Pyrrhon show.
    PYRRHON live at Saint Vitus Bar, Jun. 18th, 2015 (FULL SET) - YouTube
    PORTAL live at Saint Vitus Bar, May 27th, 2015 (FULL SET) - YouTube

Later that day..
    2.5 miles in a little under half an hour. my right hamstring where it inserts behind the knee has been tight. This is starting to worry me. I'm going to cut out faster intervals for now and focus a couple of more weeks on LSD

3/30/17
    Played a gig with my friend's technical metal band. We play like once or twice a year. I felt like I had more energy the last time we played- I was doing bodyweight circuits and running a whole bunch. The songs are like 7 minute tremolo picking fests. Good news is my elbow didn't even give a wimper.
    After I got home I run 2 miles on the mill in 23 minutes while watching Shaw bros' 5 deadly venoms. WuTang fans take note: this is the movie where the Toad-style clip comes from.

3/31/17
    Squats 215x5x3
    Bench 170x5x3 135x8x2 no gripz
    RDL 45x5,95x8, 135x5
    Light Deads 205x2 quit.
    Rehabbish tempo curls 45x10,10,8
    Workout length: 80 minutes

I quit on the deads because the RDL was too much. I'm not sure if the RDL was what dug me into this right hamstring recovery deficit but I'm going to keep them and keep them light on friday.
    Bench was a struggle on the 1st set. but go easier. the 135 flew up - I did the 2nd set in a breath.
    Squats are still (still) a work in progress. I'm trying to fix that thoracic extension, my mid back has been a little chronically annoying lately. I felt a little bar slippage in the second set. Also I'm unintentionally pausing the fuck out of each rep. I may find more warm up reps at higher weights helpful with this.

Not a bad workout considering a frightening lack of sleep and way too much fast food this week.

I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing this year as far as events. I don't like big races; hell I don't like people, but I like having a big goal. I was thinking of doing the Devils Path at the end of June, but I've been disappointed by the Catskills before. There is a Shawangunk Ridge Trail race in September that I'd like to do, the shortest leg is a half marathon. I'd love to do the whole 70 mile trail, but I wouldn't be ready this year without ditching the weights. I'm currently looking at 50k plans, but even that looks like a bad idea for this year. Baby steps.

no running this weekend, resting my right knee, which on reflection I think might be banged up from forced hyperextesion on the treadmill. fortunately it is now officially beautiful

4/3/17
    Squat 220x5x3

Press 100x4 fail, 97.5x5x3

Deadlift 310x5 255x5

Rehab Curlz 004 45x10x3
    Workout time: a very relaxed 2 hours
    Squat is getting hard to recover from one set to the next. I was waiting 8ish minutes.
    I tried press at 100 and failed. 4 miserably shitty reps each one uglier than the next. 5th one was a no go. I pretended it didn't happen and dropped to 97.5, which went up with a little struggle, but WTF? I should have had 100. So I'm microloading from here on out
    Deadlift felt shitty from the beginning. My hamstrings were super tight, so I did 2 sets at 135 and considered calling it. I worked up to 310. The video showed thoracic rounding. Boooo! There was quite a bit less rounding at 255, and I was tired at this point. I'm going on vacation for a week on Friday, so no weights. I may deload the Deadlift, or I may try to keep progressing it with singles and doubles and progress the backoff set as my fives. I've been trying to get past the 3 plate mark all year, and am more than a little frustrated.
    I have been trying out chins on my elbow. I'm super excited to start working them when I get back.

On the speakers: Goblin Suspiria OST and Gentle Giant Octopus. Also some Liquid Swords for the deadlift workset

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by augeleven View Post

I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing this year as far as events. I don't like big races; hell I don't like people, but I like having a big goal. I was thinking of doing the Devils Path at the end of June, but I've been disappointed by the Catskills before. There is a Shawangunk Ridge Trail race in September that I'd like to do, the shortest leg is a half marathon. I'd love to do the whole 70 mile trail, but I wouldn't be ready this year without ditching the weights. I'm currently looking at 50k plans, but even that looks like a bad idea for this year. Baby steps.
    This brings back fond memories. I hiked the full Devil's path many years ago and thought it was an excellent challenging all day affair. I trained for my only marathon (1984 Dutchess county, probably 200 people max in the field) with all of my long runs on Gunks fire roads, 10-20 miles and more of great runs.

I can totally understand the pull of conditioning. My running days are (mostly) behind me, but have been on a quest to hike Colorado 14ers as well as doing some long backpacking trips (JMT, Winds) over last few years. Running LP, but body weight is up and the pull to improve fitness before summer hiking and climbing season is very strong. I had some success with a Heavy/Light 2 day program for 6 weeks this winter while skiing nearly every day (Heavy Squat and Bench one day, Light Squat, Heavy Press Deadlift the other -- if I were to do it again I would do more pressing volume, maybe light Press on bench day, and CGBP on Press Day). I will probably go back to this when I head back to Colorado for the summer. I will watch with interest what your big goals end up being.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast