starting strength gym
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who put a running log on Starting Strength?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I might move to a two day split, but I want to squat 3 days a week until I "get it". I'm kind of a motor moron.

4/4
    2.7 miles 35 minutes. But 2.7 pain free miles.

4/5
    Worked to 225x5 on the squat, but I haven't slept or ate much, so i quit and went to bed early.

4/6
    Didn't get in until almost midnight. I skipped my run and did wednesday's benching.

Chinsx5 - only slight pain in the right elbow - yay!

BP 175x5x3 (back in PR area) 155x8
    Now my elbows hurt. Maybe I don't need that backoff set.

I'm leaving for Disney World road trip with the family, so only pushups and running for 10 days. When I get back, hopefully I can just repeat my weights from this week with a freshly rested body.

after taking my two toddlers to Disney World for a week, I am officially making a case for curls in a dad's workout. Picking two kids up and holding them while waiting in line for hours was quite the workout. Add to that 9 miles a day, most of the time pushing a janky-ass stroller that might now double as a prowler, and you've got a decent deload week workout. I got in a 5am 2 mile run on Tuesday, but with 20 hour car rides and the lack of sleep and the frequent toddler melt downs, I didn't have the juice in me to do more.

Official Can I Actually Run HLM uninterrupted for 10 weeks Challange - OCIARHLMUFTC

OCIARHLMUFTC Week1 - H
    4/16
    Squats
    225x5x3 I thought I would lose steam here, but they went up relatively easily, besides some attempts to look up. I put my Whipped Cream and Other Delights vinyl on the floor to keep my gaze fixed
    Bench
    180x3F, 175x4F, 155x5
    Right forearm felt weird on the 180, and I didn't rest enough before trying 175. I took the fat grips off and it felt hella weird, have I become addicted?
    Deadlifts
    280x3F
    I had pretty bad form break on the last workout coupled with some back pain (that I may have been ignoring for a bit), so I videotaped my warmups to make sure I was keeping my back in extension. I stopped at 285x3 because I felt my form break down, and I would like to preserve my smiling back. I'll try 285 next monday and progress by 10 from there until I get back to 305.
    Chin-ups
    5,4?,3 2nd set may have been 5, I got distracted.
    This is my first real Chin-up workout in forever. As I type this the morning after, my elbows feel no worse than they did before the workout, to be specific they are pain free unless I take my thumb and aggravate the ulnar nerve area on my right elbow.

My "cardio" is still in the tanks. As the sole purpose of this silly bullshit is to enjoy my hiking more, I'm going to reset my running training a bit, and add more walking, hopefully to use less of my recovery. I'm officially taking the 4/23 5k off the table, as I have a kid-free weekend with my wife and I don't want to spend it embarrassing myself in the back of the pack. My next marker if my annual run around West Thompson lake during my family's Memorial Day family campout. It's a nice rooty and hilly 8 miles that I like to run early in the morning hungover AF.

4/17
    still trying to dial in running expectations. I thought it would be interesting to redo the c25k program, so I did the 1:1.5 minute run walk and my run intervals were about 9 min/miles, whereas my slow and steady pace is 11:30-12 right now. My ligaments were angry. I may go for a toddler-weighted hike Wednesday instead of/ in addition to a run. Maybe the answer to my "running programming problems" is to not worry about progression and have fun, which is why I do it in the first place.

4/18
    O'CIARH L MUFTC Week1 - L
    Squats 185x5x3 - fun

Press 105(oops)x5x3 85x5 - 5th rep was shaky in every set, mostly because I loaded the bar wrong. I should have repeated 97.5, but thought I should just go for 100, but didn't realize I was doing 105 until I took weight off for drop set. I'll probably repeat 105 next time.

BroRow-set - BB rows and curls supersetted with 2 minutes rest
    Row - 95x8x3 - too light
    curl - 55x8tempo,5,6 too heavy

Workout 65 minutes with no music, although RIP Allan Holdsworth...

The row is my light day Deadlift variant(ish) and the curls for the girls (my two toddlers are getting heavy) Before the trip I was doing the curls last with a 003 tempo I thought I would save time with the superset, but I probably lost concentration, recovery and suffered. Next time.

Quote Originally Posted by augeleven View Post
    I might move to a two day split, but I want to squat 3 days a week until I "get it". I'm kind of a motor moron.
    If you can throw an extra 20 mins at it one day a week, I think you'll find that squatting 3 sets of 5 at 75% of whatever you're normally squatting for sets of 5 will both improve your form as well as require no recovery time. It helped with my brand of motor moron brain at least.

Carrying two kids at once is rough! Curls sound like a good idea.

With regards to the third light day, it's a slippery slope, first you're only doing a 20 minute light squat workout, and then you're (I'm) doing all this silly bullshit...lifting is too fun.

4/20
    O'CIARH L MUFTC Week1 - M

Squats 205x5x3 with 4 minutes rest

No fatgrips Bench 180x5x2, thumb felt weird so I added the fat grips 180x1F then 155x3 with no rest. I need to be more patient with rest times on bench

Paused Deadlifts 2 counts on up and down
    135x4, 205x4x2
    I'm doing fours because 4 extra seconds of pause winds me. This was too light so 215 next time

chins on 3mins rest 6, 5, 4

workout lasted one play through of Road Games RIP Allan Holdsworth

now for redbox and chill, kids are at gram's.
    Last edited by augeleven; 04-20-2017 at 10:13 PM.

4/23
    O'CIARH L MUFTC Week2 - H

Squats
    235x5x3 with 8 minutes rest. Felt strong but my timing with the stretch reflex is still rubbish. I also tried tightening my belt an extra notch and almost exploded during the set. 5 pound jumps a week now

Press
    102.5x5x3 I'm treating last workout as getting 100. I need to make sure throacic extension while getting the bar.

Deadlifts
    135x5, 225x3, 285x3, 315x1,265x2
    285 was supposed to be my workset. I stopped because I lost thoracic extension. I wanted to hit a single at 315, Thoracic extension seemed better. I dropped to 265 and tried to get 5, but I stopped again because I felt my back round. I probably need more warm up reps. I think I might try for 290x3, 320x1 and 260x5 next time, and progress that. I feel ready to go from deadlifts quickly but that might be only from a heartrate perspective.

Didn't really run this week. My knees bother me in hyperextension and I'm nervous about making that worse. It didn't get better after taking a week of lifting off, so I'm going to try not to run for a bit, maybe a little walking
    Chins
    6, 4 Neutral, 5, 1
    Chinning after heavy day sucks
    Workout was a leisurely, responsibility free 1:50. Itunes took me through AC/DC High Voltage Hits to Adam Rogers Allegory.

I think most of us figure out some way to rationalize curls. And most of us conclude that it does help with some elbow problems.

Why fat grips on bench?

Fat grips were suggested by an SSC coach to help, or at least mitigate the strain of lifting on my newly developed carpal tunnel syndrome. I use them for presses and squats. I feel like they help cue my wrists to be straight.
    Last edited by augeleven; 04-23-2017 at 06:25 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    They must know something I don't because that doesn't make any sense to me anatomically.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast