starting strength gym
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Who put a running log on Starting Strength?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I program hopped again. I was retry beat up after this first year of lifting, so after taking the week of the 4th off, I started an 8 week program of running and calisthenics that will give me the work capacity I feel that I lost this year.
    Last week was
    Bodyweight circuit 3x20
    30 min run
    30 min run
    Bodyweight circuit 2x20
    Rest
    40 min run
    This progresses for 5 weeks, after that it changes to:
    Lift,Run, Rest, Lift, Run, Run, Rest

After a couple of weeks on it I feel a lot better.

TB basebuilding 2nd week
    Day 1: bodyweight circuit 3x30
    Day 2: 3.1 mile run
    Day 3: 3.1 mile run, 6 mile bike
    Day 4: bodyweight circuit 2x30
    Day 5 rest
    Day 6: 3.5 mile run
    Day 7: rest

Quote Originally Posted by augeleven View Post
    After a couple of weeks on it I feel a lot better.
    Glad to hear it!
    Good luck with the new program.

TB Basebuilding week 3
    Day 1: bodyweight circuit 3x40
    Day 2: 2 mile trail run
    Day 3: 3.5mile run
    Day 4: bodyweight circuit 3x1 min AMRAP
    Day 5 rest
    Day 6: 4.5 mile run
    Day 7: rest

Third week in the books for the basebuilding program. I worked up to 215x2 on the Bench Press. Sadly, that's a PR, but also so far no shoulder pain. I think I may have fixed my BP form.

"75% week" (I kinda guessed, then did the 90% training max)

8/9 and 8/12
    Press 85x6x4
    Deadlift 225x5x3
    The lifting resumes, although probably started too low.

"80% week"
    HB Squat 165x5x3
    OHP 95x5x5
    DL 240x5x2

Had to switch to high bar squats due to the elbow issue. Haven't really squatted since the beginning of June so I'm started super duper low.

My run time has improved as improved from a 12:30 pace to a 10:30 pace.

Running and squatting are hard to combine. It sucks to run after a squat day. And it sucks to squat after a run day, but not as bad. I found out this week that I can manage high rep squats after a sub 4 miles run. But it hurts to run within 2 days after that. I did sets of 10 two days ago and tried to run today. My legs were very sore. . . .

My heavy squats are pretty much wrecked for 2 days after a run. Deadlifts are only bad on the day of a run and perhaps the next day.

I try not to ever run more than 4 miles. More than that and I get even weaker. A couple years ago I couldn't get 255x5x3 because I was running close to 7 miles 3 times a week. That didn't work out so well. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    Running and squatting are hard to combine. It sucks to run after a squat day. And it sucks to squat after a run day, but not as bad. I found out this week that I can manage high rep squats after a sub 4 miles run. But it hurts to run within 2 days after that. I did sets of 10 two days ago and tried to run today. My legs were very sore. . . .

My heavy squats are pretty much wrecked for 2 days after a run. Deadlifts are only bad on the day of a run and perhaps the next day.

I try not to ever run more than 4 miles. More than that and I get even weaker. A couple years ago I couldn't get 255x5x3 because I was running close to 7 miles 3 times a week. That didn't work out so well. . . .
    I think whatever you're better at you can more easily handle the first day.
    For me (more a lifter than a runner), it would be easier to squat on day 1 than to run on day 1.

What if you switched our deadlifts and squats? So you deadlifted 2/3 of the time and only squatted 1/3 of the time?

I started this summer up by focusing on Deadlifts and not squatting. It helped that I pretty much couldn't get into a low bar squat position without serious elbow issues.

The program I'm running (and not really logging on here) is called Tactical Barbell. Totally lame name, but they are interested in combining barbell lifting and endurance conditioning, but with the ability to live their lives without the thought they can't do something because yesterday was heavy squats day.

It's basically sets across at a weekly percentage. So you squat 2 or 3 times a week. First week is 70-75% for 3-5x5. Second week is 80-85 for 3x5. Third week is 3x2-3 at 90-95%.

I was just up in the White Mountain National Forest this weekend. In two days, I covered about 24 miles with about 7k of total Elevation Gain, with 25 lb pack. It took about 20-22 hours of hiking and my right knee hurts a bit.
    In 2020 I would love to complete a White Mountain Direttissima, which is 240ish miles over all 48 peaks in the WMNF, with about 80k of elevation gain. I would like to get it done in about 2 weeks, and I would like to use my knees afterwards.
    Some of the prep is squats. Some of it is deep cardio wells.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    A couple years ago I couldn't get 255x5x3 because I was running close to 7 miles 3 times a week. That didn't work out so well. . . .
    So I'm not very strong, but my LP last year started in the middle of a half marathon training cycle, and I got up to 245x5x3 while running 25-30 mpw. Which I couldn't sustain obviously. I hope you don't mind if I poke through log looking for best practices in incorporating conditioning with lifting though.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast