starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2/3/4/5 to torn hip labrum and back again

Default 2/3/4/5 to torn hip labrum and back again

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey everybody, new to the forum and just wanted to share my progress from having surgery to reattach the labrum in my right hip.

Quick notes about me:
    Name: Matt
    Weight : 245
    Squat : ~400 *never tested a 1rm before the injury
    Press: 210
    Bench Press: 320
    Dead lift: 500

No video of squat or press but here are my current sources of video proof:

320 bench and 500 DL: Push/Pull Mock Meet 5/13/2017 - YouTube

275 Push press w/axle: #275 Axle OHP With leg drive - YouTube

Programming I used to get there:

I suppose you could lump me in to the group of folks who got strong in spite of my programming mistakes rather than because of my programming. I started lifting in high school with the football team. Quarter squats, maxing benches, and ugly power cleans galore. Wound up switching to wrestling and had coaches who actually knew how to lift. I followed a 10 week linear progression program that looked a lot like a BB program. But hey, I was in the sweet spot for gains so it worked. I fell in love with the Olympic lifts during this time and I've always loved to train them. This is where I also picked up my knack for coaching. I was always interested in taking kids under my wing to teach them what I knew (which at this point wasn't much).

I trained a bodybuilding type "brosplit" in college and never really progressed much during my time there. Maintained some size, gained some fat, and got stronger overall but my programming choices weren't very structured. I didn't keep a log. Just kind of whatever but my senior year of college was when I first attempted a 400# squat and just barely failed. So I Got a job in Dahlgren, VA where my organization has a gym that's free for us to use (and pretty well equipped). I Continued by bodybuilding split (even though I'd never ever be a bodybuilder) until an old strongman who trained there FINALLY pestered me enough to enter a strongman competition. This was the first time I had been truly focused on STRENGTH and not just to look good. Strength became my passion. I tried lots of "programs" and despite not logging my workouts and loosely following a cube type of training method, I continued to get stronger (especially my press) and wound up taking 2nd in the novice division. Ever since strength has been my passion, subject of research, and scientific experiments. I've just recently picked up a copy of SSBBT3 and PPST3 which I was I would have done sooner. I've even started introducing a few folks I know to the SS Method and I hope to coach someday on the side. Maybe even an SSC credential one day!

The injury:

About a year ago (04/2016) I was in the bottom of a warmup squat when POP. I felt something extremely painful in my right hip and it hurt to even walk. I gave it some time, made sure to move as much as possible without being stupid and it would progressively get better. I waited about 4 weeks to get back to the weights, but I would continue to train upper body and took care to let my hip rest. My hip ALWAYS hurt during squats no matter how long I waited, what weight I used, and the only squats that felt okay were high box squats with light weight. I had the competition in August that year, so I just trained around it. Deadlifts didn't give me any problems, and after a while I could move pretty well as long as I didn't have a lot of hip flexion. Luckily in strongman there's hardly ever a squatting event and the only major hip flexion in my competition was a tire flip (which wound up aggravating my hip). But I took second, and took a few weeks off training.

For the next couple of months I still couldn't squat without pain, so I just stopped training the squat. Deadlifts only! At that time I was on a work assignment that required me to be on my feet so I didn't feel like seeing a doctor about it just yet. After all, I could still move around and even deadlift pretty heavy without any major pain right? Just stiffness in the mornings and after sitting long periods of time. And I was getting married in December so I just didn't have time.

Fast forward to April 2017. A couple x-rays, and an MRI later, I met with Dr. Miyamoto in Fairfax VA and he said I had a classic exam for FAI and my imaging definitely showed it. For those familiar, I have a pistol grip type CAM lesion in my left hip (asymptomatic so far, probably because it's very smooth and I keep decent mobility) and on my right hip, I had a bony "knob" looking formation wich would definitely interfere with deep hip flexion. Dr. Miyamoto also thought I had a torn labrum so we scheduled surgery for 5/16/2017. Since I could still train everything but squats, I did. I WAS going to hit a 500lb deadlift before I got cut on. So I finished out the conjugate program I was running (not the smartest choice for my skill level, but I was seeing progress and didn't want to switch it up 6 weeks into a 12 week cycle) and set up a Push/Pull Mock Meet in my garage 5/13/2017. I hit a 320 bench and a 500 deadlift! Woo-hoo! I'm in the club. You can watch the video below.

Push/Pull Mock Meet 5/13/2017 - YouTube

I am now post-op day 1 and I will be making a log of my progress. Although I wish my first log in this community was under different circumstances, I'm glad to finally start posting on the board! Pics below are showing off my home gym dubbed "MOORE BARBELL" and a silly picture of me post surgery

Matt Moore aka Moorefoodnow

5/17/2017

Changed dressing today and there was very little drainage to the site. Very little of any inflammation either. Sutures looked good.

Worked up to 30 degrees flexion on the CPM today. Plan is to increase 3-5 degrees each day so long as there's no pain. I'm in the machine 3 hours a day 1 in the morning, 1 at lunch, and 1 at night.

Pain is starting to come down. Getting around on Crutches is getting easier. Should only be using Crutches 2 weeks max.

5/18/2017

The PT got me in earlier than expected today. Only 2 days out of surgery and I'm feeling really good! The PT took me through some passive movement stuff, made sure I had all of my questions answered AND DIDN'T EVEN CHARGE ME FOR THE VISIT. I may have found a decent PT. He seems more interested in getting me better than just collecting my co-pays.

Hit 36 degrees flexion in the CPM today.

My wife picked up an air bike(not airdyne but similar) I found for sale on letgo for $20! The therapy protocol has me start rocking the petals back and forth in a few days with zero resistance and increases the stress up through the rest of recovery. It will be helpful to have something at home instead of going somewhere to get the work in.

Pain is doing really well! Barely need pain meds during the day at all!
    Last edited by Moorefoodnow; 05-19-2017 at 05:53 AM.

5/19/2017 post-op day 3

Did some isometric holds for the hamstring, abductors, and hip flexor as described from the Therapy protocol today.

Up to 42 degrees in the CPM now.

Still some lingering numbness from the nerve block which I hope go away soon. But I haven't needed any pain meds today at all which is good.

I think I'll start trying to get on the bike tomorrow and feel out the range of motion.

5/20/2017 post-op day 4

Isometric therapy holds

rode the bike for 20 minutes today! (ROM ONLY no resistance)

48 degrees on the CPM.

Only one muscle relaxers when I wake up and before bed! T

5/21/2017 - post op day 5

Isometric holds per protocol

54 degrees on CPM

No muscle relaxers today and no pain pills needed.

Still some strange nerve feelings mid-thigh on the right side being numb and although there's no pain in the hip, there is some stinging sensation on the side of my thigh when I move around sometimes.

All that said, everything is progressing as normal

5/22/2017 - post op day 6

Keeping with the protocol.

Another 20 minutes on the bike
    60 degrees on the CPM

Meds are pretty much keeping up with the anti inflammatory and some fish oil/osteo biflex just because.

5/23/2017 - post op day 7

PT appointment with some passive movement work, zero resistance bike, and some stretching

Up to 66 degrees in the CPM

5/24/2017 - post op day 8

Went back to work today for the first full day since the surgery. Desk job, so really not too bad on the hip. just wanted to hold off on driving the 45 minute commute until I progressed a little further.

72 degrees in the CPM

Note: My appetite has definitely come back to where it was during training and I don't want to balloon up......restricting calories is just the worst.

starting strength coach development program
    5/25/2017 - post-op day 9

20 minutes on the bike.

78 degrees in the CPM

Looking forward to walking again soon!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast