Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Poor man's SS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Squats across at 220lb.
    Bench across at 195lb.
    Snatches across at 100lb.

Two plate squats below parallel on Monday!!

Should I post this in the SS log forum now?

225 across squat. Very grindy. I think it has something to do with my being a waiter and having 32 active work hours from friday-sunday. Will manage this later.

127.5 across on press.

255 5x2 deadlift. Good lockouts. No complaints.

Onward ho.

Forgot to mention:

GOMAD has turned into GOCMAD (chocolate milk). There's no turning back. BF is still stable, still see my obliques in most lights.

Cutting back on GOCMAD. Getting fatter after lowering volume.

230 across squat.
    197.5 across bench.
    125 across on spider in heat cleans.

I'm going to do something stupid. I have a rare off day tomorrow, so I'm going to squat and experiment with a slightly wider stance. I think that'll help with the grindy feeling I've been getting. I will raise it by 5lbs and then again on Friday. By Monday I should be back where I was squatting above parallel. Wish me luck.

I didn't do the stupid thing. Regularly scheduled squat programming tomorrow.

235 across - adjusted my stance.

130 across on press. I believe my "stall" earlier was due to form issues, Ie pushing the bar a bit in front of me to clear my head. Addressing this. But good to move to 132.5 on Wednesday.

265 on deadlifts, once again 2x5. I did not rest long at all between sets either, 4-5 minutes maximum. I think the second set will be a good indicator of when to stop making 10 pound jumps, but if I had to guess I would say that these PRs don't even get to 7 on the RPE scale. Lockouts are easy.

New plan.

I will do deadlifts every workout, since they are very easy now and I never took advantage of the ability to do them three times a week. They are lagging a bit from the deload as well.

I will also add a day on Sundays, for Olympic lifts. I really like them and want to give them their own day, unencumbered by the fatigue from continual PR squats and presses. I also have some time down from work, so I think a little more volume would not hurt. I think the freshness will also help with technique.

Oly lifts will be restrained to these days. 5x2 snatches and 5x3 cleans. I will try to add 5lbs every week for the time being.

Today I did 105lbs on the snatch across, and 125 for four sets on cleans and then 130 for the final set. Next Sunday will be 110 and 130.
    Last edited by cfreetenor; 08-13-2017 at 10:15 PM.

240 across on squats. Increasingly grindy, but it is forcing my stance and form into a better position to get the bar up. I do think I want to add in a light day before I stall out, and this will also let my deadlift get a bit further ahead as well.

200 across on bench. Definitely in my second wind on this, no signs of slowing down.

275 for deadlifts, but on the second set I gave up on the fourth rep. I will stay at two sets for now, and I will increase the first set to 285 and leave the second at 275. If I don't get the second set at 275 by Friday, I will decrease the loading to 5lbs per workout and switch back to one set.

I did pendlay rows for kicks. Did two sets of 5 at 165 and came apart at the third or fourth set. I wasn't keeping too much track of these, I don't intend to program them. I will however start doing back extensions after deadlifts.

starting strength coach development program
    Squats are back where I had them before the 100lb deload!

245 across on squat.

Press is officially higher than when I deloaded! 132.5 across, felt like I had one or two in the tank on the last set too. First set could have gone for 10.

Pulled 285 on deadlifts, felt heavy. Went back for the 275 set and got it. I will keep deadlifting every day, but I'll do 5 lb increments from now on. Friday will be 290 and 280. I figure a 40lb gap with squats is good, and it'll probably remain or grow seeing as I do think I'll need to add that light day for squats in the next month.

Very good day though, I attribute it to the mountain of Chinese food and pint of Ben and Jerry's I ate yesterday. Plus training a bit later than normal.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast