starting strength gym
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Continued Progress

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    That's some serious chin work there. Have you been programming chins regularly?
    I've been consistently doing pull-ups and chin-ups once a week each for at least the past three weeks. They've been part of my program off and on for the better part of the summer (minus time off for vacations and such) when I've had time to throw them in at the end of a work out.

7/31/17
    BW: 206.6
    Sleep: 7.5hr

Main Lifts:
    HBBS 305x5x3
    OHP 155x5x3 105x8
    Conv DL 365x5

Assistance:
    Grip: Thumbless hang x 1min
    COND: Lunges x 1min x 5

NOTES:
    -solid workout overall, but deadlifts never really felt locked in
    -tried something new with overhead press; did my best to internally rotate lockout while going into external rotation in the bottom position; I could feel more of the load shifted to my lats than usual

8/3/17
    BW: 209.4 -> what happens when we visit the in-laws
    Sleep: 7.5hr

Main Lifts:
    FS(belt, sleeves) 255x3x3 135x12
    BP 235x5x3 185x10

Assistance:
    Pull-ups +10x5,5,8
    Db Curls

NOTES:
    -highly fragmented workout: did the squats as quickly as I could, then was off to the ocean and I played beach football/swam for 4 hours; came home and did bench press as fast as I could then went to do some volunteer work involving an hour of exercising with obese children; finally came home and did pull-ups and curls
    -right brachialis tendon is a mite sore from throwing a football so much today and Tuesday...but I got in my lifts!
    -played around with a stance a little wider than usual today...depth was kinda iffy

Last set of front squats:

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher John View Post
    went to do some volunteer work involving an hour of exercising with obese children
    If you find a program that works, give me a holler. I had a 10 year old just the other day in clinic that nearly weighed the same as me but about a foot and some change shorter.

And good on you for caring.

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    If you find a program that works, give me a holler. I had a 10 year old just the other day in clinic that nearly weighed the same as me but about a foot and some change shorter.

And good on you for caring.
    It's a free program through the hospital. Parents can sign up their kids for an hour slot up to 6 days a week. We meet up with the kids at a park and have them jog, do jumping jacks, squats to a bench, lunges, push-ups (always modified), etc. I try to plant the seeds of nutritional information in their heads during rests: e.g., "jello is not a fruit", "grape soda is not a fruit", "Apple Jacks are not a fruit", and the disenfranchisement of other foods kids thought were fruits.

Sometimes it feels like pissing in the ocean, though, when dad has a hyooge sandwich waiting for the child in the car following his 9-10am workout.

8/5/17
    BW: 207.6
    Sleep: 6hr

Main Lifts:
    HBBS *315x5x3 275x1(3ct paws)
    OHP **155x5x3 105x10
    RDL 225x5 275x5

Assistance:
    Chin-ups BWx5 +32.5x5,5,8
    Ab Wheel x 12
    Hector Press 135x20x3
    COND: Sprints x ~60yds x 4

NOTES:
    -*actual weight on the bar last time was probably about 311lbs bc I have overweight plates; did this session at school so 315 most likely = 315, so only 4lb jump
    -**did 150 last time but accidentally logged as 155
    -switching to a weekly progression for back squats
    -hoping my sleep will get back on track soon-ish

Last squat set:

Solid form on that squat.

And you're probably about 6-8 weeks ahead of me on the press at my current pace.

Thanks for the volunteer work you do. Sometimes I'll think it's child abuse when a ten year old is morbidly obese. But then I think how the parent may not know better, and can get all kinds of bad information even when consciously searching for good information to use with their kids.

And glad to see the leg pressing!

Quote Originally Posted by hector_garza View Post
    Thanks for the volunteer work you do. Sometimes I'll think it's child abuse when a ten year old is morbidly obese. But then I think how the parent may not know better, and can get all kinds of bad information even when consciously searching for good information to use with their kids.

And glad to see the leg pressing!
    Agree with the Kids thing, but bear in mind as well Kids can be VERY efficient at getting what they want out of even well-meaning Parents - it's their SuperPower I guess.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Agree with the Kids thing, but bear in mind as well Kids can be VERY efficient at getting what they want out of even well-meaning Parents - it's their SuperPower I guess.
    It's really weird the things my son will be readily compliant with compared to what is absolutely non-negotiable. With my, very limited, experience I sometimes wonder how he gets enough to eat with how resistant he can be at meal time sometimes. I suspect that little ones are very sensitive to hunger signalling and things like ketchup and ranch dressing trip those signals in the wrong way but they are a staple of so many kids' diets. We just try to make him eat filling stuff, and I know that a lot of families can't necessarily afford that stuff or the time it takes to both prepare it and get him to eat enough of it. I definitely don't want to over simplify what is probably a complicated problem, though.

Also: second the commendation; that's a great way to volunteer your time, Chris.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast