Thread: Brik City's Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    12/11/16- Sunday Morning

Bench Press- 220 x 5,5,8

Weighted Chins- 30 x 5,5,8

SSB Squats- 180 x 5,5,8

I missed working out on Saturday because my daughter had her 4th ear infection in the past 8 weeks (tube time). So I did my normal Saturday workout on Sunday, I'll do my Sunday workout Tuesday, and my Tuesday workout on Thursday (skipping basketball). My ankle has healed up pretty quickly and didn't bother me at all on squats, so I probably could play basketball Thursday, but it's better to play it safe with that and it will also help me make sure I don't miss a lifting workout.

12/17/16- Saturday Morning

BW- 188.2

Bench Press- 225 x 5,5,8

Weighted Chins- 35 (223.2) x 5,5,8

SSB Squats- 185 x 5,5,8
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    12/18/16- Sunday Morning

BW- 189.0

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press- 55's x 8,8,11

Dumbbell Curls- 4 sets to failure, forgets weights and reps

Deadlifts- 265x10
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    12/20/16- Tuesday night

BW- 190.4

Bench Press- 230 x 5,5,8

Weighted Chins- 35 (225.4) x 5,5,8

SSB Squats- 190 x 5,5,8

Coming along slowly but steadily, despite missing some workouts last week with my daughter being sick and me getting no sleep. I am skipping basketball again Thursday with the intent to start playing on Thursdays again the following week.

2/21/17- Tuesday Night

BW- 190.4

Bench Press- 245 x 5,5,6

Weighted Chins- 35 (225.4) x 5,5,7

Squats- 195x5x3

Ok, well, I'm back again. Fell off bad in late December and most of January as far as all lifting (kept playing basketball weekly though), but I've got my fire back now. February has been good and consistent, but that's only gotten me back to basically where I was in late December after having to re-set again. So I essentially wasted two months. Annoying, but nothing I can do now except go forward. Everything is dialed in right now, and I'm ready to make some big gains for the rest of 2017. Knees are feeling great, lower back is good, shoulder has a little bit of pain from dislocating it in the summer but it's gotten better and I can now do regular squats instead of Safety Bar. My diet has been good.

So here are my updated plans:

I have vacation coming in July. Between now and late June I plan to gain about 15 pounds of bodyweight up to around 205. This is ever so slightly less than a pound a week, which tends to work very well for me.

I am going to continue to play basketball every Thursday night and that's all. It's a great pickup run I am in there, and I look forward to it every week. It's about 2 hours total and very competitive, man-to-man defense is played the entire time, so its a great workout along with being very fun.

So for now while I am still in LP mode, this will be my programming:

Tuesday night- Bench- 5,5,AMRAP
    Weighted Chins- 5,5,AMRAP
    Squats- 3 x 5

Thursday night- basketball

Saturday- Bench- 5,5,AMRAP
    Weighted Chins- 5,5,AMRAP
    Squats- 3 x 5

Sunday- Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press- 5 sets not to failure
    Curls- 4 AMRAP sets
    Deadlifts- 1 AMRAP set (with one or two in the tank)

Eventually as I start exhausting this round of LP, I'll move to the following (which may happen at different times for each lift):

Tuesday night- Heavy Bench- 2 AMRAP sets
    Volume Chins- 5x5
    Volume Squats- 5x5

Thursday night- basketball

Saturday- Volume Bench- 5x5
    Heavy Chins- 2 AMRAP sets
    Heavy Squats- 1x5, then a backoff

Sunday- Volume Shoulders- 5 sets
    Curls- 4 AMRAP sets
    Deadlifts- 1 AMRAP set

This is similar to programming I used in the past with success, the main difference being basketball instead of 4 lifting workouts per week. This is mainly coming out of my shoulder and curl volume though, as the competition lifts will still see as much volume as they ever did in my program.

I'm excited to see how far I can take this. I believe that I can be pretty close to PR territory across the board by late June.

In

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    In
    Yep

Hey, the gang is all here. Hopefully that keeps up. When this community was good, I definitely think it helped me. I know motivation is supposed to be entirely from within, but in reality we are all looking for outside sources. And seeing you guys killing it and talking lifting with you definitely helped me in the past. I am also lifting solo right now, no more lifting partners at BBC, so I can use the extra help.

Thursday Night- 2/23/17

1.5 hours of basketball

My normal Thursday night game didn't happen last night but I found a replacement and it was a solid run. Ton of up and down and running, though zone instead of man-to-man defense on both ends made it a little less intense. But overall, still much better than nothing and it seems like that will always be there as a potential backup if my main game doesn't happen again for any reason.

I think it's a good idea spacing the BBall out from lifting. If I've noticed anything as I've gotten older, it's my knees appreciate the break. I squatted everyday for a couple months leading into a comp last May and it was an awful experience. I managed to hit a comp PR snatch and that was it.

Looking forward to following along Bobby! I'm trying to gain weight too...I've spent far too much time the last couple of years as a 75-77 :-/

Friday night- 2/24/17

Bodyweight- 189.4

Bench press- 247.5 x 5,5,7

Weighted Chins- 40 (229.4) x 5,5,7

Squats- 205 x 5 x 3

Hey Craig, funny you mention spacing the basketball and squatting because I actually just moved them closer together. I decided I'm going to do my Saturday workout on Friday night going forward. It gives me less turnaround from basketball but gives me an extra day between squats and deadlifts. If my knees start bothering me with this switch, I'll go back, but I had no issues Friday night. My knees are in a great place right now. Maybe the best since I first dislocated my left kneecap at age 15. I wear the rehbands for both squatting and basketball to keep everything warm, but even when I've forgotten them I've been fine.

As far as your bodyweight, what's your plan for gaining? Anything specific macro/calorie wise, or just eat more?

Sunday morning- 2/26/17

Bodyweight- 190.6

Seated dumbbell shoulder press: 65s x 8,8,6

Ez curls- 78 x 10,6
    68 x 9,8

Deadlifts- 285 x 10

Solid workout. It's coming along slowly but surely.

starting strength coach development program
    Are you playing in a rec league or just pick up?