starting strength gym
Page 1 of 102 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Bryanccfshr's Journal

Default Bryanccfshr's Journal

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    5'11.5" tall 41 years old .
    10 plus years continous previous training experience(15-25), then sporadic then my work career took off with a over a decade layoff before this year.
    I naturally progressed from a year of progressive bodyweight work(I thought I had a wrecked back) a conversion to a paleo diet that brought me from a out of shape 215 pounds to a sprinting and ready to train 182.
    May 0f 2012 I began crossfit football. I stayed paleo but added milk and whey protien and added plenty of roots to my meaty diet. By the End of August I was in need for weight resets and had gained back up to 206 pounds.
    I reset and did another 5 week begginner progression using the starting strength template and dropping the sprints which brings me to starting this log.

My press and my bench are still progressing linearly albeit slowly so I will keep them on a linear program, I am moving my squat and pulls to the Texas method. THree days a week so here is the first entry backdated

Oct 8 2012
    Bwt 210.8

Squat 5x5 @315 (That was more difficult than I recall when I was 23)

Bench 5x3 @ 192.5(getting tough, not proud of the number but not ashamed to work with it either)

Deadlift 5x1 @ 355 4+1 (had to step away and come back after a few breaths and get a single, the extra squat volume is making this tough I will stick with this weight for a another week or two_

Wed Oct 10
    Bwt 210.6

Recovery day for squats

Squats 5x2 @252.5

Press 5x3 @ 152.5 (This was my stall weight on CFFB in august)

Chinups 7,7,6

Glute ham raises 10x5

I then took 7 days completely off to hunt elk. First rifle season in Colorado.

I came back empty handed/and pretty well tired of humping up and down timbered mountainsides.

Gave some more blood to my Doc who is freaking about my Creatinine levels. Only 1.4 or so not too bad considering my activities and body weight and diet but maybe I should just go vegatartian and lose 50 pounds ..Nah!

Thursday Oct 18
    Bwt 211.4(yeah for days off and camping for fractional weight gain!)

Volume day
    Squat 5x5 @315 (yes its just as hard as last time)
    Press 5x3 @ 155 (getting slow)
    Deadlift 5x1 @ 355 got them all this time.

Sat Oct 20
    Bwt 208.6 Feeling pretty depleted

Recovery on Squats
    Squat 5x2 @252.5
    Bench 5x3 @195
    Chins 7,7,7
    Glute Ham raises 10x5

Some Prehab
    Hammer curls 20# dbs 15,15,15

Mon Oct 22
    BWT 211.2

First intensity day

Squat 5x1 @ 335 (heavier feels better as long as I don't have to do 4 more sets !)

Press 5x3 @157.5 5,5,4+1 (missed the last rep took a minute and paid myself the one I owed,
    repeat this again)

Power clean 3x5 @ 150 complete(I only take 1:30 rest between these sets until I get alot heavier)

Chins 8,7, 7

Prehab work
    2 sets each single leg leg extensions 50# x 15 Made tender kneecaps feel better.

Doc wants me to come in and talk about kidneys . I did some research and will ask for a serum Cystatin C test as I don't think creatinine norms are relevant for someone who lifts.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 10-23-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Mobility and flexibility today. An hour of stretching needed it.

Today 10/25/2012
    Bwt 212.6
    Volume on squats and pulls

Squat 5x5 at 315. Weight moved easier felt like a good bounce out of the hole but the overall volume is taxing

Bench press
    5x3 @ 197.5. Completed a bit light in the ass but no air I need to focus on tightness and holding tension a couple of reps got loose.

Dead lift 5x1 @365 I moved up and it felt tough. Hook grip is sucking, it makes it difficult to develop tension in the chest and lats without being able to squeeze the bar. I eithe need to risk straining a bicep again with alternate grip or back off to what I can handle double overhand and let grip limit the lift but build a hell of a grip.

Eating home made meatballs and sauce about 2 pounds
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 10-25-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Saturday Oct 17, 2012
    But 209.4 ( seeing a pattern following volume day of being a couple of pounds light on this day)

Light recovery day..feel rough, tired.

Squat 252.5 5x2 completed

Press (decided to go Texas on press due to apparent systemic fatigue)
    Light 5x3 @125

Chins 8,8,7
    Ghr 10x5

Bicep prefab. Db hammer curls @ 20#. 16,16,16

Felt sickly rest of day we has a fall festival and I gave out candyto400 little kids from11 to2 trick or treaters.

Ate prime rib and potatoes for dinner followed y a block of cheddar. I slept 10 hours into this Sunday morning. Ate an omelet and potatoes for breakfast barbq chicken tonight with , potatoe salad. Library is closed so no work on my research papers today. Taking it easy. Walking dogs, watching football etc.

Default Oct 29

Intensity day
    Bwt 212.8

Lots of of warm up, foam roller then spin bike worked up slowly to first work set on squats.

Squats 5repsx1set. 345. (I feel I need more and more weight to push me into the hole. It's set felt great other than the fact that I felt like I needed a to shart. Held my bowels and competed this easily.

Bench 5x1 @ 205 completed the set but I feel that
    My ass getting light on the bench on reps 2 and 5.. Spotter didn't see it but my integrity is bugging me. I need to film to see if the its just good tension being built or if I am tending to cheat an angle. I feel like the heat if it is there is not needed but I am overcoming a minor psychological barrier.

Power cleans
    135 x5
    155x 5x3. Practicing keeping tight and getting bar speed(and hang time). I want to get this lift above my bodyweight

Chins 8,8,8. Continuing to add a rep twice a week. Biceps are either going to get stronger or tear. The tendonitis sensation in them is just plain old.

Leg extensions single legs 15x2 each leg at 50 pounds. Knees are feeling better.

Going to try to push food and get good sleep this week I think the brutal volume day is starting to build some momentum.

starting strength coach development program
    Friday 2 nov 2012
    Bwt 212

Volume day
    Squat 5x5@315
    Press 5x3@155. I meant to do 4 sets but barely got last rep of last set and dred the bar down for dead lifts. I will try another set in this in two weeks.

Dead lift 1x5@365. Changed back to alternating grip and it came up much faster. I was so focused on the lift I didn't noticed my left shin was bleeding until it bled through the sweats while I was cooling down. New grip new problem

Did some prehab if I am going to be low bar squatting and alt grip dead lifting I want to have no trouble with biceps to tendonitis.
    Db hammer curls with 20s 17,17,17

Apologies for typos the iPad is not a word processor.

Followed up with mu dr about my 1.56 serum creatinine. Reviewed my program(he'ssupportive) and supplements. He expects higher levels in me do to mass(dr normally treats cyclist and cross fitters so it s relative). He saw a trend upward and we found that I was
    getting too much vitamin D.eading to vit D toxicity and maybe pissing my kidneys off.With milk, cod liver oil,daily multi and a 5000 iu pull a day. I am cutting the 5000 iu pill out and cutting way back on whey powder and trying to gain on solid foods and some milk as needed.
    I expressed wanting to get competitive to him and he simply wants to observe and monitor. Return in 6 weeks to make sure the levels aren't growing in magnitude but he's ok with it now and I feel better about it.

Eating a chicken and some potatoe soup, glass of milk.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 11-02-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Page 1 of 102 1231151101 ... LastLast