starting strength gym
Page 93 of 198 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: Chebass88 gets stronger day by day.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks guys!

I visited the local doc-in-the-box this morning. My primary concern was make sure it was not skeletal / requiring prompt attention. It is a muscular strain only. FUCK YEAH! I will live to lift again!

Here is a list of things that provided some amusement this morning.
    1. My arms are sufficiently sized than they cannot obtain a good reading on the "large" automated blood pressure device. Excellent. I'm moving in the right direction.
    2. When describing how I hurt my back, I used the term "weightlifting". It is amusing to see what motions the nurse / docs pantomime for their understanding of this word. I can only describe it as a combination upright row / rectangular fix.
    3. The "discharge paperwork" suggests I lay off of strenuous activity, including waterskiing and racquetball. No worries there - I promise to stay far away from that nonsense.

Holding back on training will be tough for a while, but I can get through it. I'll come out of this nonsense even stronger. Day by day, I get better and better, stronger and stronger. I am strong man.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Eating lots of food and ibuprofen meant I could train today.

Bench: 140x6, 225x5, 275x1, (295x3)x4, (295x2)x4; Paused - 2 seconds

Curls: 140x2, 4, 170xF, 170x1, (170xF)x2, 170x1, 155x1, 135x7, 135x5; PRs - 1RM & 7RM

Time: 90 minutes (see notes)
    BW: NM

Lots of notes for today. Since last week, I've felt a little better each day. Today was the first day I haven't taken any ibuprofen, and it seems like any other Sunday. Solid! Time to get in the garage and make some hay while the sun is shining.

All bench press reps were paused for a full 2 seconds. How do I know it was 2 seconds? I used my metronome, set at 60 bpm. Two clicks = 2 seconds. Why? As I was walking my dog today, I was thinking back on the old school guys (Hepburn, etc.), and how they used to bench with a full pause. Why can't I? Curls were awesome. I wasn't intending to set a PR, but the blood starts flowing, Maceo Parker is on the radio, and that means time to GO. To be fair, there is quite a bit of body english on that rep, possibly even enough to not count. I'll get better.

Today's session was pretty long for the work done, thanks to duct tape (or should I say, a lack thereof). We put our little guys down for naps every afternoon. As soon as we leave the room, it is party time for them. They toss their stuffed animals, their blanket, and the sheets off their beds (cribs). The next thing is their clothing (also tossed). And then the diaper comes off. Unfortunately, it is usually filled at this point. We started putting a strip of duct tape over the snaps, and the little guys have not been able to defeat the tape just yet. Well, mama isn't feeling well today, so I put them down for a nap. Some dumbass forgot the tape. Well, one of my little guys realized this opportunity. I had to go and help with the mess. Oof. The perils of training at home.

Video evidence (of the lifts, not the diaper tossing…):
    295x3, 2 second pauses:

Curl: 170x1

Curl: 135x7

E.
    Last edited by Chebass88; 11-30-2015 at 01:44 PM.

nice bench. looked good

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    1. My arms are sufficiently sized than they cannot obtain a good reading on the "large" automated blood pressure device. Excellent. I'm moving in the right direction.
    You could probably flex and blow off the sphygmomanometer dial. That would be hilarious.

(commented partly just to write sphygmomanometer)

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    You could probably flex and blow off the sphygmomanometer dial. That would be hilarious.

(commented partly just to write sphygmomanometer)
    Ha! I'll try it next time.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Squats make you better.

Squats (HBBS): 135x8, 185x5, 205x3, 225x20, 245x15

Wide grip pullups: (BWx2)x10, ((BW+10)x2)x8, ((BW+10)x3)x2

Time: 48 minutes
    BW: 257.0 lb

After Sunday's lifting fun, I had some pain in my back yesterday. It might have been due to not taking any ibuprofen. The classic engineer slump-posture didn't help either. What fixes everything that ails you? Squats. I did them high bar, to reduce the loading on the lower back (just in case). Very easy, but that was the intention.

Nothing beats a set of 20 on the squat, even when it is done at light weights.

Thursday, December 3, 2015

Great workouts can be performed anywhere, with anything.

Press: A whole bunch of standing DB presses, together & alternating (8700lbs total, 99 total reps)

Alternating DB curls: 25s x 10 (ea. arm), 30s x 10, 40s x 10, 45s x 10, 50s x 10

COC #2: a whole bunch, maybe one or two legit closes per hand

Time: 34 minutes

I'm on travel, at a Hilton in San Diego. It is a very nice hotel, though it could be improved significantly with a decent barbell gym instead of the PRECOR DB rack, cardio machines, and giant mirrors. Maybe not the best in terms of overall training, but I got some work done.

When I was doing the alternating curls, I made sure to look at myself in the mirror and occasionally mutter "Yeah, motherfucker! YEAH!", ala CT Fletcher. If doing alternating DB curls in front of a giant mirror - you have to!

It is still a great day to be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Thursday, December 3, 2015

Great workouts can be performed anywhere, with anything.

Press: A whole bunch of standing DB presses, together & alternating (8700lbs total, 99 total reps)

Alternating DB curls: 25s x 10 (ea. arm), 30s x 10, 40s x 10, 45s x 10, 50s x 10

COC #2: a whole bunch, maybe one or two legit closes per hand

Time: 34 minutes

I'm on travel, at a Hilton in San Diego. It is a very nice hotel, though it could be improved significantly with a decent barbell gym instead of the PRECOR DB rack, cardio machines, and giant mirrors. Maybe not the best in terms of overall training, but I got some work done.

When I was doing the alternating curls, I made sure to look at myself in the mirror and occasionally mutter "Yeah, motherfucker! YEAH!", ala CT Fletcher. If doing alternating DB curls in front of a giant mirror - you have to!

It is still a great day to be alive.
    Your approach to training while away from an actual gym is almost as impressive as your curls. Keep up the good work!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Adam!