starting strength gym
Page 94 of 198 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast

Thread: Chebass88 gets stronger day by day.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I tend to get caught up thinking that unless there is a barbell with a rack, I can't train at all.

Thanks for reminding me that I should still make the best of any situation I may be put in.

It may not be optimal, but not optimal is better than no training.

Have a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra View Post
    I tend to get caught up thinking that unless there is a barbell with a rack, I can't train at all.

Thanks for reminding me that I should still make the best of any situation I may be put in.

It may not be optimal, but not optimal is better than no training.

Have a great day!
    It can be fun, as long as it isn't a substitute for barbell training. There are so many tools for gaining strength - we live in a really good time for getting strong.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    So much on-the-road bro-ness.

At least you're not spending your per diem at the hotel gym. [winning!]
    Well, earlier that day, some chucklehead dropped a ridiculous amount of money at the tobacco shop (2 new pipes & 3 new tobaccos, plus a pipe for a friend), so not having a fee was beneficial!

Saturday, December 5, 2015

The return to deadlifting, this time with attention to detail!

Deadlifts: 135x5, 225x3, 275x1, 275x13, 305x13

Rows: 185x10, 205x6, 225x4

Time: 49 minutes
    BW: NM

I was careful to setup properly on each rep (with every rep pulled from a dead-stop with reset). One thing I noticed in the video playback is that despite getting my chest up, immediately prior to lifting, I relax it a little bit. "Relaxing it a little bit" at 305 doesn't mean much, but roughly translates to "F YOU" above 500. I even notice this little relaxing act when I do rows - just prior to lifting the weight, the shoulders slump a little bit. Today's weights felt super light, but technique wasn't TEXTBOOK perfect. As to why I chose to experiment with higher reps… I've head some decent success with learning new techniques while using higher reps, and am attempting it on the deadlift. Next week's deadlifts will be even better.

Stay strong, people of the internet!

That's a really good point. Technique creep occurs, but spending time fixing it is what will make us better.

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Another clock puncher.

Bench: 135x5, 225x5, 275x1, (295x3)x4, (295x3*)x2, (295x2)x2; (* - done as 2 + 1), all reps with 2 second pause

Curls: (140x3)x6, 140x4

Time: 57 minutes
    BW: NM

Yes, trying to lift the day after deadlifting isn't the greatest of ideas, but it is Sunday, and Sundays are for benching and curling. I couldn't get 3 reps on sets 5 & 6 - failed on 3rd rep, continental-cleaned the bar back to the rack, and got another single.

Time to move some leaves around and try out a new pipe I got in San Diego the other day. Stay Strong!

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    That's a really good point. Technique creep occurs, but spending time fixing it is what will make us better.
    Since I'm nursing some injuries, and coming back from others, I'm spending a lot of time on this. I downloaded the Bar Path app for my iPhone and have been focused on tweaking my technique to get that vertical path. I also spent some time with the TUBOW (or in my case, TUFR--terribly useful foam roller), to make sure that I was sitting back properly.

Good to hear, Ed! I hope you don't knock the foam roller over.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

A quickie at lunchtime.

Squats (HBBS): 135x8, 185x5, 205x3, 230x20, 250x10; PRs - 20RM & 15RM, HBBS, Unbelted

Pullups, wide grip: 4,4,4,4,5

Decline situps (alternated with pullups): 10,10,10,8,6

Time: 41 minutes
    BW: 255.5 lb

As part of my self-designed rehabilitation program for the back injury, I decided high rep squats should do for "leg day", done as HBBS to load but not overload the spinal erectors. These weren't too bad. I got two new PRs, but they are only PRs as I've never done those weight/rep combos before, not because they were ridiculously hard.

Strength training is such an awesome hobby. There is always a chance for improvement, no matter how small the increment. Many small increases over time add up to be big increases, and soon, big weights are being used. Big weights are fun.

YEAH BUDDY!

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Strength training is such an awesome hobby. There is always a chance for improvement, no matter how small the increment. Many small increases over time add up to be big increases, and soon, big weights are being used. Big weights are fun.

YEAH BUDDY!
    You have to be one of the most upbeat forum members/log posters here. I hope you're crushing heavy weights again soon.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    You have to be one of the most upbeat forum members/log posters here. I hope you're crushing heavy weights again soon.
    Indeed. A very inspiring log to read.