starting strength gym
Page 175 of 198 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 1976

Thread: Chebass88 gets stronger day by day.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryF View Post
    I have no idea how anyone can fail a 1RM attempt on deadlift and then have anything left for...well..anything. So props for pulling a 3RM after two failed max attempts. And oddly, I am pitiful at 1RM's on deadlift so I would think they would not be as draining compared to someone whose 1RM is much higher than their 3 or 5RM. My 1RM is only about 50 lbs higher than my 5RM.
    Thanks, Barry. It was very clear that the attempts at 645 weren't going to leave the floor, so they weren't as draining as a full-on attempt. I do T&G deadlifts, so I knew that if I could get 585 up for one, I could get it for two. In order to be done for the day, I needed a new max, so I was able to force out another. I've found that my 5RM is pretty consistently ~85% of 1RM, whether through planning or just ending up that way.

Review of 12 weeks of special programming:

Original goals & result:

1. +15lbs on Military Press: Not met. I was able to put 10lbs on my military press though, and collected a few other maxes along the way (2 x 1RMs, 2RM, 5RM, 8RM, 10RM, 12RM). I was also able to get a few new maxes on the push press too (2 x 1RMs, 2RM). I got 240 to just above my head - it will happen soon.

2. +20lbs on Deadlift: Not met. This was due to taking a couple of weeks off / changing programs in the middle of the cycle (when will you learn, dummy?). This resulted in testing for a new max without having a sufficient amount of work completed. It isn't a complete loss - I learned that 90 reps at 80% or greater enables me to put 10lbs on my maximum. 42 total reps at or above 80% does not. It intuits well that the exact number required is between those values. Over the past 12 weeks, I was able to get a new 1RM, 2RM, and 3RM though, and also earned a few new RAW maxes (3 x 1RMs, 2RM).

3. BW < 260lb: Not met: Honestly, I gave up on this one. I was tracking macros using the Feigenbaum indices for recomposition. I really hate tracking what I eat. This means I end up skipping the tracking, or being completely nutso about it. Over the past few weeks, I started doing Intermittent Fasting again. I hit 263 this afternoon, so <260 will happen eventually. I feel less heavy, more alert, and not stuffed all the time. I don't necessarily think my lifts have suffered (there are other factors which likely have greater impact, such as lack of sleep, being too aggressive with max testing, etc.).

4. Curl of 160x1, strict. I met this goal. By strict, I mean absolutely zero hip motion or layback, with feet together.

5. Squats and rows were okay, with a total of 9 new PRs between them.

My plan is to continue on a similar path for the next ~12-14 weeks, and keep adding to my press and deadlift, with squats and rows along for the ride. And definitely get my BW < 260. In the middle of these past 12 weeks, I learned about the Hristov INOL value, and will use it to base some programming on in the future.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

I love heavy squats.

Squats: 135x5, 225x3, 315x3, 375x5, 425x8; PR - 8RM

Bentover Rows: 175x10, 210x10, 245x10

Sit-ups (at home): 20,20

Time: NM
    BW: 268.0lb

I did this session after work. Im still under the weather with a cold. I applied the "set a PR and GTFO" approach today - skipping the set of 400x5. Maybe I'll do it Thursday if things are on & poppin'. Rows felt great.

If you want to feel that you are in fact alive, do an 8RM. They are fun.

I listened to the Marty Gallagher interviews that Shut suggested. Great.stuff. Gallagher recommends one.top work set.for.strength gains.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    I listened to the Marty Gallagher interviews that Shut suggested. Great.stuff. Gallagher recommends one.top work set.for.strength gains.
    Solid. I'm looking forward to listening to them. Ken Leistner also recommended one top set, so that means two solid recommendations in favor of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Solid. I'm looking forward to listening to them. Ken Leistner also recommended one top set, so that means two solid recommendations in favor of them.
    My assignment for the day "Google Top Set"

Keep up the great work, that's a lot of output on the squats for feeling under the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Strega View Post
    My assignment for the day "Google Top Set"

Keep up the great work, that's a lot of output on the squats for feeling under the weather.
    Thanks Strega! I haven't listened to the Gallagher podcast yet, so I don't know whether he means the same, but in general, the "top set" means the highest working set. It would be an emphasis on one heavy set, often with as many reps as can be performed, instead of multiple sets at the same weight (across), or escalating up or down in weight (pyramiding). It is a different training philosophy than the standard approaches around these parts. It can work, but there has to be an absolute rigid insistence on progression. This might be something like increasing once a certain number of reps are met, with a goal of adding at least one per session.

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Getting some work done.

Military Press: 95x5, 135x3, 155x2, 175x2, (195x3)x6, (195x2)x2

X-wide pullups: 4,4,4,4,4 (alternated with dips)

Dips: 7,7,7,7,7

Time: 52 minutes
    BW: 266.0lb

Not too much to say about today's session other than it went well. It did not go well enough to make up the missed squats from Tuesday, but I'm not worried. Up next: deadlifts.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Back to training.

Deadlifts: 245x5, 335x3, 425x1, 475x1, (520x3)x6, (520x2)x2

Roman Chair Situps: +25lb x 1 (see notes)

Time: 57 minutes
    BW: NM

It was great to be back to training again, after a few sessions of demonstrating strength. I did get a little lazy during this session, and let my inter-set rest creep up to 3:48 (great googily moogily!). I developed some kind of back pain this week, likely from the situps on Tuesday (curling my back and ramming it into the floor between each rep), and I could tell that the roman chair situps weren't on the agenda for today. As always, next week will be even better.

Aren't deadlifts the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Aren't deadlifts the best?
    Yes.

starting strength coach development program
    Damn, that's massive lifting. And yes on the deads. And the press.