P
    B x 10
    75 x 5
    105 x 3
    125 x 5
    137.5 x 5
    152.5 x 3
    137.5 x 5

Notes: Still undecided on working out after 8 pm on week nights vs early, early am. Still undecided on caffeine at 8 pm (which I am testing). Going to stick with the program as written, dropped macros a hair, looking for super slow weight loss, little faster than recomp style. Same template, 95% of 5's and 3's weight.

Diet: 188.2, downward spiral towards 180. Will evaluate this as I go based on feel, strength progress and physical composition.

****More: Still achy here an there, hips today. I think this slow last two weeks surrounding the meet could have had more frequency to reduce soreness.
    Last edited by Scott Henderson; 08-27-2015 at 08:32 PM.

Still achy, in the most awkward places, can't totally pin point it but the very bottom of the lats or the internal obliques. Also noticed new calluses developing on my hand:

Anyone else have these or am I just developing a bad habit?

Hey man good job on that 418 pull!

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Hey man good job on that 418 pull!
    Thanks, once dead lifts came around I finally felt in the groove. I was psyched up, amp'ed up, and high on adrenaline. I would imagine that is what it should be like for all the lifts. Hopefully next time I can get there.

8/29 - Week A - Post Apocalyptic Meet Training

BP
    B x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 3
    175 x 2
    215 x 1
    235 x 5 x hmmm 5 or 6

Notes: Repeating final cycle from before the meet. Kids were playing in the basement, between that and the reflux thingy I don't know if 5 was 5 so I did one more. I must have been building up some fatuge case these were super easy, butter.

Diet: 188.2, Jordan says you can cut 10% of body weight with out effecting strength. At 169 I'd be a body builder, how silly would that be. Viva one-eigthy-something. Viva 210/350/65.

Strangeness: So every morning when I wake I have this type of post nasal drip that eventually clears up. Problem is that brushing teeth up till my first meal (a shake) I nearly gag and heave. Never lost the contents of my stomach, but boy is uncomfortable. I used to train in the am and it was a killer. Training in the evening doesn't really produce the same problem. Training at 9 or 10 is hit or miss. Today at 9 am it is pretty bad. The common denominator, caffeine (in pill form). 300 mg every am and 200 mg prior to a work out if later in the day. I've read that caffeine can cause this but its not 100% of the time. I don't believe it sinusitis and I've tried allergy medication but it doesn't help. Only other though would be silent reflux, which I'm going to attempt a regiment of Prilosec for.
    Last edited by Scott Henderson; 08-29-2015 at 09:18 AM.

They finally posted results for that meet. I weighed in at 86.9 kilos (191.18 lbs), totals 460. Wilkes of 299.14, placed 7th in the 93kg class. Thing that surprised me a bit is how much more competitive the the 83kg class was than the 93kg. 1st and 2nd in the lower weight class totaled at least 40kg higher than 1st place in the higher class.

Regardless it was a great experience, my nerves, poor form or what ever it was left quite a bit of weight on the platform for next time!

8/30 - Week A - A for absolute failure

SQ
    B x 10
    135 x 5
    225 x 3
    275 x 2
    325 x 1
    355 x 5,6
    335 x 5,5,5

Notes: 355 should have been 5x5. Utter and absolute failure. Last 5x5 day felt like hell, heavy, heavy, heavy. After the meet I figured I'd film all sets to review depth. First set was terribly bad, first rep was questionable and others were high or questionable. Set set was similar. 5th rep of second set was a grind. Deloaded 5% to 335 for another 3 sets of 5 which went better. Video will be up soon, missed filming 4th set though.

Deep Thoughts: I'm gonna say this was just a bad day. Programming has all but run its course on 5x5's. Also note that I am on a tiny deficit and recovery has been suffering from working around the house and paint all day yesterday. I may begin to cycle calories for volume days and move work outs to the afternoon when I am better fed.

Diet: 188.2.

Here is the video...

Lower back is super fatigued. Not sure what to make of today. I suppose it means something that its been 4 weeks since I had a 5 x 5 squat day. Hell I was sweating after the first set.

After that long of a layoff, I would have expected a de-load. I'm worried you lifted that more from muscle memory and CNS than strength and that you're going to be pretty sore today or tomorrow - although you've been doing this much longer than me and it may not have been long enough to get into that atrophy zone.

Nice vid-bomb by your daughter.

Also, it looks like your safety bars are uneven. Is there a reason for that?

Keep up the great work Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Kane View Post
    After that long of a layoff, I would have expected a de-load. I'm worried you lifted that more from muscle memory and CNS than strength and that you're going to be pretty sore today or tomorrow - although you've been doing this much longer than me and it may not have been long enough to get into that atrophy zone.
    This is of course an unknown. After a few years you should be able to take a couple weeks completely off and pick back up. I'm guessing that this has more to do with recovery from painting all weekend coupled with a super small deficit. Also note that I have been mostly inactive for 3 weeks due to the V.

Nice vid-bomb by your daughter.
    She was less excited when I told her everyone in the world would see this.

Also, it looks like your safety bars are uneven. Is there a reason for that?
    They aren't, its the angle of the camera. I shot from a super low vantage point.

Keep up the great work Scott.
    Lift on!

**** Thought I'd add that there isn't much soreness. Also spent the remainder of yesterday painting.
    Last edited by Scott Henderson; 08-31-2015 at 09:47 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    9/1 - Week A

Back to 5 am

P
    B x 8
    85 x 5
    115 x 3
    145 x 2
    160 x 3@8.5* , 3@8.5, 3@8.5, 3@9, 3@9.5 - **PR Rep/Set

*probably 7.5 or 8 but first set always feels heavy

Notes: Mornings suck, biggest problem is my reflux thing. Second biggest problem is how long it takes to warm up. Last time 160x3x5 was up (which I failed) I hit 160 it for two triples, a double, then delaoded to 150 for two more triples. Attempting to record RPE, but lets face it, I have not idea what I'm doing. Everything probably felt heavier due to not working out in am for a while. Okay, I admit I like training in the am, especially if I can solve this reflux thing.

Diet: 188.4, may drop down to 210/325/60 at weeks end. Decided to drop beer on all days except Friday and Saturday. Really felt full getting those extra 62 grams of carbs from wholesome food last night and not my Surly Furious. Will also attempt to lift M/T/TH/F so that weekend fun and house/yard work won't complicate recovery.

Time: Woke at 5:15, Lifting 5:41, Out at 6:40. Would like to be awake for longer.
    Last edited by Scott Henderson; 09-01-2015 at 07:11 AM.

Page 61 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast