Page 83 of 91 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast

Thread: Viking Strength....Let's hope

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    Yep. Totally went to his head.
    Totes!

Late night after work sesh... wasn't in the mood at all but then CT Fletcher dragged my ass in to get shit done.

BW: 225.5 lbs

Light Squats: Beltless; 2 min rest

250*5x2

Press: Beltless; 5 min rests

165*5 Beltless PR (RPE 9.5)
    150*5x2

Deadlift:

375*5 (RPE 9.0)

Accessory: 2 min rests

Chins: BW*10,7,6
    LTE: 97.5*10x2

**Damn good workout. Felt strong and calm the whole way through. Even managed a new Beltless Press PR tonight!

*Midnight sesh as per usual*

BW: 227 lbs

Squats: 5 min rests

375*5 (RPE 10)
    335*5x2

Bench: Beltless; 5 min rests

255*5 (RPE 9.5)
    230*5x2

BB Pendlay Rows: 180*10x2
    BB Curls: 107.5*10x2

*So yesterday I decided it would be a brilliant idea to work a double shift... and unbeknownst to me, I somehow got roped into working one of the shifts moving heavy shit from one end of our massive building to the other... for 8 hours! Then after completing that 8 hour shift I went on to work the next 8 hours on one of the busiest nights at work in a long time.

Needless to say the double shift affected recovery in a negative way and I woke up shocked that my legs were sore, mostly in the sartorius and vastus intermedius muscles. The reason I'm so specific in my description of the soreness is because I don't think I ever feel soreness there from squats. Any who, work kicked my ass yesterday and tonight's shift was just as busy (just not a double thankfully) so tonight's workout was a real bitch between the fatigue and leg soreness!

**Squats were a little iffy in execution due to the soreness/fatigue but they were all to depth and I'd say I definitely didn't leave any reps in the tank but I definitely couldn't have done another rep if I'd gone for it. I'm officially back to my pre-1st illness (gastroenteritis) strength! I'm gettin' there but I'm not liking the power belly this summer. I really wish I had stuck with my reduced cals. I definitely have a mental block about actually wanting to lose the weight. I mean, I want to look more aesthetically pleasing but I also don't want to look like I don't lift when I've actually got clothes on, and my clothes are on majority of the time lol.

**Bench felt pretty good. My shoulder still gives me a bit of grief but it's much better than it was and now once I'm done my bench sessions I don't feel lingering pain or anything so that's good!

**Crazy that a month ago I could barely shake out 315 squat and a 225 bench and now I'm using heavier weights than that just for my back-off sets!

It's Canada Day in Canada Eh! Still gotta lift me my weights MF!

BW: 226.8 lbs

Light Beltless Squats: 2 min rest

255*5x2

Press: 5 min rests

170*4 (RPE 9.5)
    155*5x2

Deadlift:

385*4 (RPE 9.0)

Weighted Chins: BW+35*5x3
    LTE: 100*10x2

**I'll get the reasons and excuses out of the way first. Today is Canada Day and we spent most of the afternoon out in the hot sun (30 degrees celsius)... I was dumb and got a sunburn and too much sun, luckily we were smart enough to keep the kids covered and so they're fine. But man am I tired from the heat. I dragged my ass into the gym anyways but I sensed tonight wasn't going to go that great... in fact, I blame Canada lol.

**Anywho, it was a good day with the fam and there was lots to do at the park so it was worth it. My strength/endurance seemed to suffer a bit from all the sun and heat but not as bad as I thought it would. I think the 170x4 press was actually more of a learning curve error than actual strength failure because it's the first time I've used a belt for presses in nearly 2 months I believe. It felt weird and I didn't warm up enough with the belt to get a feel for it again. I'm just going to run with the 3's and 4's now until I max a single eventually and then reset for the transition into my intermediate program. I'll probably increase the weight by 2.5 lbs per week for the press now that things are getting heavier.

**Deadlifts felt very powerful but I'm not a fan of 5's for deadlift. I like my singles, doubles, and triples so I left 1 in the tank tonight and I'm going to raise the weight by another 10 lbs for next week to try for 395x3-4 reps and then run the triples for as long as I can until I pull my max. Then I'll reset for transition into my intermediate program also. For perspective, my previous 5RM before all the illnesses (for deadlifts) was 390 lbs... so I'm not doing too badly.

BW: 226.1 lbs

Squats: 5 min rests

385*3 (RPE 8.5)
    345*3x2

Bench: 5 min rests

260*4 (RPE 9.0)
    235*4x2

BB Pendlay Rows: 185*10x2
    BB Curls: 110*10x2

**I got a very bad sunburn last Monday while at the beach with the fam... it's still killing me 2 days later and it was not fun wearing a belt for squats... I sucked it up and squat the damn thing anyways but man oh man was each rep painful. I got out of position on the 3rd rep and re-tweaked my left shoulder. Between the agonizing pain of a thousand daggers stabbing me in my back, stomach, and sides (from the sunburn) and tweaking my shoulder... I decided to call the set quits at an RPE of 8.5. I know I could have got 4 reps for sure and I'm fairly confident I could have eeked out a 5th rep but why risk injuring my shoulder more right. Figured I'd keep my back-off sets at the same rep scheme as my top set.

**Bench was fairly good but my shoulder was giving me grief so I cut the top set of 260 short at 4 reps to leave about 1 in the tank. Once again, kept my rep scheme the same for back-off sets. I figure I'll run all the movements to a max attempt over the next few weeks and then revamp everything from there.

**I definitely plan on getting back on the weightloss train again. I'm tired of my fat "power" belly when I'm really not all that strong for my body weight. I just need to remind myself during the process of reducing cals that it's okay to get a bit smaller... I have a fear of being skinny or small again like I was back in 2012/2013 (123 lbs to 147 lbs). It may be vain but I have a real problem with looking like I don't even lift when I wear clothing. I may be "fat" right now but at least my appearance says that I'm somewhat strong and can "Pick things up and put them down".

Oh well, I suppose that's my own perception that I need to change. I've had it ingrained in me since starting my SS journey that an adult male weighs 200 lbs and for some reason I now fear weighing under that at a height of 5'9" even though I'm pretty sure Jordan Feigenbaum was 195 lbs when I met him at an SS Coaches' Seminar back in 2015 and Dr. Dude looked jacked as hell!

BW: 226.5 lbs

Light Squats: Beltless; 2 min rest

260*5x2

Press: 5 min rests

175*4 (RPE 9.5)
    160*4x2

Deadlift:

395*4 (RPE 9.5)

Chins: BW*11,7,6
    LTE: 102.5*10x2

*Felt strong, kept back off sets the same rep scheme as the top set for presses. Previous PR @175 is 5 so I'm back!
    *Deadlifts went well, managed to pull my long-standing old PR of 4 reps @395 with maybe one left in the tank. Put it down, took the belt off, took a couple deep breaths and then deadlifted a single (beltless) and farmer walked it into the power rack.

BW: 227 lbs

Squat:

395*2x3 (RPE 9.5)

Bench:

265*3,2,2

BB Pendlay Rows: 190*10x2
    BB Curls: 112.5*10x2

** Pretty crappy workout sesh. Let this be a lesson to anyone reading this that doesn't know about being too greedy on progressive overload. lol. I should have increased the weights by 5 lbs the past few times with my squat but my ego wants to be back to where I was before . It's frustrating to barely eek out 2 reps on something that I banged out for 5 only months ago. I suppose I'll either keep going and see what happens, or I can restart...again...*sigh* for some intermediate programming.
    **Squats really aggravated my shoulder (left) tonight and it made benching almost unbearable!

*Midnight Sesh after work; First day of reset into my own version of 5/1 baby

BW: 227.2 lbs

Recovery Squats: Beltless; 2 min rest

210*8x2

Press: Beltless

120*5
    135*5
    150*8 (RPE 9.5 old PR)

Deadlift: Beltless

255*5
    295*5
    335*8 (RPE 9.5 old PR)

Weighted Chins: BW+45*4x3
    LTE: 105*10x2

*squats felt like a feather
    **Presses felt light but after rep 6 of the top set I was feeling a little winded (guess I lost some work capacity since last time a ran this programming). Still managed to match my old PR though!
    **Deadlifts felt okay but my left shoulder was bothering me again from the pressing so it was painful during the first few pulls off the floor. Still managed to match my old PR again though!
    *The shoulder was really aggravated and chins and LTE were not fun despite completing all the required sets and reps. I do notice it feels a bit more like inflammation and it also seems to be linked to my trapezius. I'm not sure what's wrong but I'm getting tired of it. Might have to see the doc about it soon.

*First day off after set of graveyard shifts; got 4 hours sleep.

BW: 229.2 lbs despite eating less food

Squat:

245*5 super easy
    285*5 easy
    325*10 (RPE 8.5)

Bench: injured left posterior deltoid

175*5 super easy
    200*5 easy but painful
    225*7 (RPE 9.0) painful!

BB Pendlay Rows: 195*10x2
    BB Curls: 115*10x2

**Squats went really well despite my shoulder but I was winded on the 10th rep and so it was a cardiovascular failure instead of muscular failure that prevented me from pushing things. I suspect I left roughly 2 in the tank, maybe more.

**Bench was excruciating tonight and I barely completed my final set. I cut 225 short which sucks but I don't want the injury to get worse. I suspect it's a torn rotator cuff in the left shoulder. Took some Ibuprofen to reduce the swelling and iced the shoulder right after. I need this gone ASAP since it's screwing with my GainzZz as of late!

starting strength coach development program
    *Still on graveyard shifts! They're kicking my ass so tonight I kicked back.

BW: 229 lbs (night shift water retention hehe)

Recovery Squats: beltless; 2 min rest

215*8x2

Press:

135*5 beltless
    150*3
    165*5 (RPE 9.0)

Deadlift:

295*5 beltless
    335*3 beltless
    375*5 (RPE 9.0)

Accessorize: 2 min rests

Chins: BW*10,6,6
    LTE: 107.5*10,9

**Shoulder is still healing but it's feeling much better from icing/Ibuprofen the past few days. Still feel pain but it's far less now and it wasn't aching after tonight's session like it has in the past. I'm hoping things are almost completely healed by next bench day...

**Presses felt pretty good because the pain during lockout. Had 1 left in the tank on the top set, probably more if it weren't for pain, but cut it short for fear of making my shoulder worse!

**Deadlifts felt way better today. Usually my shoulder is killing me when I lift my chest during set up and retract my shoulder blades but pain was minimal even with alternate grip. Had 1 left in the tank on the top set.

**I won't start posting vids of training until I set some PR's! Those are more fun to bother posting anyways

Page 83 of 91 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast