• starting strength seminar august 2024
    W2 D3

sleep: broken the last few nights
    Food: ate very little yesterday - wound up under 2000cal

Press
    61kg x 5 (!)
    70kg x 5 (push press)
    55kg x 5
    I was making good gains last year doing a heavier push press set to help with lockout strength, so going back to this set up. Was happy with today's pressing

Bench
    82.5 x 5 x 3, then
    82.5 x 3/2
    82.5 x 3/1
    Something is going on. First 2 sets felt good. Rep 5 of the third set, it was like someone switched the power off on my right shoulder. it's not like grinding out a heavy rep, where the weight is too heavy, it was a very sudden loss of power. I managed to get that last rep out and racked, and then filmed my last 2 sets. Both times on the 4th rep the same thing happened - bang - no power in the right shoulder. The first video was a bad angle - I was looking for bar path so the plates block the view a fair bit. Second video (from above) is posted below. I can see I'm flaring my elbows on the way up - I don't know how bad this is, but I can't see a difference between the amount of flare on reps 1&2 v rep 3. Appreciate any comments

HIIT
    bike - 5 rounds
    broke the foot strap on the first bike during the second round. oops. Swapped bike at that point

First rep appears good with not much flair and fast bar speed, then the second rep the bar continues up as you flare a bit later (further off the chest) and the third your elbows flair out when the bar is closer to your chest making it less stable and harder.

W2 D4

Sleep: about 6 hours
    Food: 2380cal yesterday

Deadlift
    170 x 2
    160 x 1
    rep 2 was a hot mess - let it start too far forward, my back rounded a bit as well. Backed off to 160 but the first rep felt off so decided not to push it.
    all reps were hook grip. feels nice and secure, I like not supinating, but man, my thumbs! need these calluses to build

Squat
    130 x 5 x 5
    no issues, except second set I think I had the bar a bit high and it was pushing a nerve in my shoulder which was not entirely comfortable

chins
    1/2/1/1/1
    not great, but getting better.

now starving.
    Last edited by Simon Rest; 01-15-2015 at 10:20 PM.

W3 D1

Food: ate slightly over macros fri/sat/sun, but wound up even for the week. Had only eaten around 700 cals by the time I got to the gym mid afternoon.
    Sleep: got good rest, with some bonus daytime naps
    Stress: levels pretty high - work is insane at the moment.

Bench:
    95*1 paused
    95*1 TnG
    95*0
    90*1 paused
    85*5
    80*5
    So I was trying for 3 paused singles at 95. First one was good. Second one the pause was too short so I'm calling it a touch n go. I got circuits boy to give me a long press call on the third and missed it. I got him to give me one at 90 which I hit pretty easily.

Press:
    56*5*4
    Was tough but I got all reps. Unfortunately ran out of time for the last set as I had another meeting to rush to.

No hiit either, but yesterday I moved 25 cubic metres of boxes and furniture up a ladder. That totally counts, right?

W3 D2

terrible

Food: ate too little yesterday (about 2100cal) and today's nutrition has been a bit of a mess too. I'm just too busy at work - constantly being dragged around town so don't have access to my work stash of food
    Sleep: not great - woken a few times during the night
    recovery: developing a sore lumbar again - possibly slept badly, possible too much time sitting in meetings

Squat:
    plan was to work up to 3 singles at 170kg.
    Filmed last warmup at 160 - was high
    filmed first single at 170, was high again. I also managed to mash a nerve in my shoulder which is now giving me some pain
    Filmed second single at 170 - I hit depth, but missed the lift.

Deadlift
    120 x 5
    these just felt awful - like a max effort.

cut it there. no more deads. no chins.

TBF I'm sick of trying to rush gains for this competition. I'm looking forward to it being over so I can go back to normal programming.

W3 Catch up and bro day

DB bench
    40kg x 8 x 3
    60 x 3
    Wow, controlling 30kg DBs was harder than I thought. May keep doing a set or 2 of these each week to work on that stability. couldn't hurt, right?

tri pull down
    120# x 6
    110# x 6
    100# x 6
    90# x 6
    80# x 6
    full brotard

face pull
    14kg x 12 x 3
    think this is too light - felt like nothing

band assisted pull ups
    5 x 5

HIIT
    C2 - 8 rounds tabata
    2 minute warm up , 1 minute warm down

fucked around with some row variations to try and find the spot in my back where it hurts. concluded it's "somewhere around the middle"
    Last edited by Simon Rest; 01-20-2015 at 10:38 PM.

W3 D3

Sleep: good - 7 straight hours
    Food: food good. Opened some wine last night so wound up over calories.

Press
    62.5 x 5 (no problems)
    57.5 x 5
    Push Press
    72.5 x 5 (bit grindy, but good to practice locking out heavier weights)

Bench
    82.5 x 5/5/5/5/4
    god fucking dammit - again missing the last rep! I know why too - elbows came way out, shoulder got stuck, couldn't lock it out. Had it 3/4 of the way up but couldn't get it done. This pissed me off.

Landmines
    45lb plate x 16 x 2
    need to get these going again - I'm doing no direct ab work and I think I benefit from it

HIIT
    Bike - 5 rounds
    I hate my gym's bike - it's so temperamental. The dial goes from "no resistance" to "impossible" within a 10 degree turn. I couldn't face the C2 again though

Gym story 1
    there's one PT who works every thursday who I am sure is a few sandwiches short of a full picnic. He always talks about how messy the gym is and can "never" do his workout until he tidies up. He also makes you watch videos of him lifting. If I wear headphones, he still talks to me as though I wasn't. He may be on the spectrum, not sure. Today he wanted to do a 100kg squat/100kg bench challenge. He was in the rack with 90kg, and just couldn't hit depth, but he kept turning around and asking me "did you see that one, how good was that...." And I had to keep telling him he was high. I never saw him get to the bench either....

Gym Story 2
    there was someone, who I couldn't identify, who was wearing a bucketload of CK One. it was *my aftershave bottle broke in my gym bag* levels of force. just horrible when you're sucking in the big ones on the bike

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    who I am sure is a few sandwiches short of a full picnic.
    Genuinely lol'd

W3 D4

Sleep: 6.5 hours
    food: 2550 cal

Deadlift
    160 x 1 (Hook, beltless)
    175 x 0 (hook, beltless)
    175 x 1 (mixed, belted)
    140 x 3 (DOH beltless)
    warmups were feeling really good, but the first shot at 175 was a mess - rounded so dropped it. The rep I got was pretty shitty. Backed off to 160 but it felt off so did a couple at 140 and left it there

Squat
    132.5 x 5 x 5
    second set I got my shoulder pain again - it looks like I'm letting the bar sit a bit higher, and this is then causing the pain. Forced it into a lower spot on my back and the pain pretty much went away.

Chins
    2/1.5/1/1/1

Now it's a long weekend and my gym is closed. Next Tuesday I wont get a chance to get to the gym either, so it looks like I get to do a medium weight session Wednesday, a light session Friday, and then comp Sunday (where I will embarrass myself in front of a large group of people, most of whom weigh half what I do and outlift me)

Gym Story
    the yoga trainer was deadlifting and complaining about his calluses. I showed him how to grip a bar properly. He was extremely thankful - he'd never been shown that before.
    Last edited by Simon Rest; 01-22-2015 at 10:57 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    W4

Sleep: like a baby - up every 2 hours
    Food: too little - about 2000 cal yesterday.
    Weight: 114.5kg (before ablutions) Can I cut 4.5kg in 5 days? Lets see

Last heavy day before comp. Plan is to work up to my opener and then do a back off set of 5.

Squat
    160 x 1 - felt really good - nice and stable, hit depth. Will open on 165kg. As an aside, the judges may have a hard time judging depth - my thighs are rounded top and bottom
    140 x 5 - no worries
    only issue was the bar impinging my right shoulder. Gotta watch this on Sunday

Bench
    95 x 1 (paused) was really easy too. felt good. Will stick with 95 - I know they call long pauses and don't wanna get caught.
    80 x 5 - these were all over the house like a mad womans shit. Maybe lack of focus, maybe need to work on balance, but they wobbled back and forth. Strength was no issue, just form.

Deadlift
    160 x 1 - this was the last warmup, but it was really hard. I realised later I pulled it without a belt or chalk.....
    170 x 1 - used the JPH technique and got through it. I think I am not using enough quad in the start of the pull, trying to get it up all back and hammy. I may well have a very shit pulling comp
    140 x 5 - was tough but got done. Tried to use more legs

stretch and roll.

Page 3 of 178 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast