starting strength gym
Page 178 of 178 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178
Results 1,771 to 1,779 of 1779

Thread: Dr Gainslove or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the carb

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    I feel like you could have ground out 85. But I'm also finally starting to learn that grinding out reps isn't the best means toward improvement.
    I think I've lost my ability to grind presses, but I agree it's not conducive to progress. I should be more strict on the target RPE8

anyway, on to todays fuckery

deadlift
    170 x 1 @ 7ish
    180 x 1 @ 7ish
    190 x 1 @8
    150 x 4 x 5
    I let the bar drift away from me on the top single and then fucked up trying to engage my lats and bring it back, tweaking my back in the process. I stretched it out and used a lax ball to loosen up and found I felt OK so I did the volume work anyway. That all went pretty well. Hoping I don't sieze up this afternoon

Catapult bench
    115 x 4 @7
    120 x 4 @8
    125 x 4 @9
    didn't do the extra sets because I'm equal parts late and lazy.

video:

that's going to be it for my short post rehab LP I go on a quick break end of next week, so I will work up to some singles @ RPE 9 next week and use that to set my starting point for another run at a 12 week strength cycle. I'm going to tweak the template slightly because there's a few things I think will work better (like spacing out press sessions more), and I'm going to have to do some things to shorten the training sessions (like using machines/DB to do the 3rd exercise hypertrophy work)

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Last night I took my first step toward actually being smart about my training- 4th rep was kind of hard, and I actually decided not to grind out a 5th. Next set, started the 4th rep and realized it would be a grind, set it down. Then I immediately reverted and did 3x3 more with the last reps turning into some serious grinds. Damn it.
    Jordan would be proud

W5 testing

squat
    160 x 1
    170 x 1
    180 x 1 @ 9 (technique 10)
    well this was slightly disappointing - bar was maybe set a bit high, as I came out of the hole with 180 I tipped forward and had to work hard to get back upright. Start of June my single @8 was 185 and I was hoping to get back to about that level. Oh Well

cable row
    70 x 8 x 5
    NBD

bike
    15 min LISS - covered 9km

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Meh, if the setup isn't right then of course it's gonna make it harder, and looking at the video 170 looked a piece of piss and 180 didn't look to my eye particularly troublesome, speed wise it slowed a little but not a real grind or owt, but then again I'm not some ungrateful little fucker gonna go tattle to another methodology, I'm not really au fais with RPE stuff. I could image a lot of room between what that looked like and a total death grinder though, so on that basis it doesn't look like a 9 to me?

Technically though, real nice work to sort it out as quickly as you did, props n stuff homey
    Yeah I'm not 100% sure it was the set up, maybe I'm making excuses.

Looking at it again you're right, it moved ok. Maybe I'm just being soft

W5 bench testing

110 x 1
    120 x 1
    125 x 1
    127.5 x 1
    130 x 1 (PR)
    100 x 10
    this went well. Weights were feeling good, 125 was quick, went to 127.5 which I had done TnG before and got it with a long pause. Felt good enough to try 130 for a nice clean PR. Pause was maybe too short for a PA meet, thoughts?
    I then stripped it back to 2 wheels and surprised myself with 10 quick reps. I was hoping for 7 or 8. Can we re-run that competition so I don't come last?

leg press
    185kg x 8 x 5
    made 2 new discoveries: Firstly, if I get myu feet outside my shoulders slightly my back doesn't hurt; and secondly, the safeties are low enough that I don't need to move them out when doing leg press, as long as I don't piss anyone off hitting them on occasion

LISS
    treadmill, incline 2, 20 min between 5.5 and 6km/h
    My muscular endurance is worse than my cardiovascular endurance, need to take LISS easier and build up my ability to continue the movement over longer time periods.

video:

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Is your arse coming (cumming) up? Only because your hips are all over the place and I can see daylight at times

Pauses, I am certain only need be as long as to show the bar is motionless and receive a "press" command, but feds differ I guess

I think your feet are too far back, you look unstable (well I'd say you are for sure unstable, but I say most folks are unstable benching if their knees flap about - but your hips flap too, which can't be stable, right? Anyone?)

I reckon if you could get yourself pushing hard with your feet flat, so instead of trying to push your hips up you are trying to slide yourself towards the top of the bench, you'd be much better off. Maybe also try and push with your quads through the whole lift to get that cranked in stability, not just as you begin to press. I think that is contributing a lot to the wobbly hips.

Just an opinion, mind, and probably a shit one! Strong work too bud, by the way, not far to three wheels! And that is big time bench bro status!
    Cheers JC. I'm usually conscious of my arse leaving the bench. There's a fair movement there but I guess the one advantage of a big arse is that it stays in contact with the bench. You are right about the excessive movement though - I can never seem to get tight enough on the bench - will play with where my feet are, see if that helps

Press
    80 x 1
    85 x 1
    87.5 x 0
    60 x 8
    happy to get 85 since I missed it last week, miffed I missed 87.5 which would have tied my PR.

LTE
    30 x 8 x 5
    no dramas

walking
    20 minutes - 1.8km
    felt "better" than yesterday but covered no more distance.

W5 testing

Deadlift
    170 x 1
    180 x 1
    190 x 1
    200 x 1
    all felt pretty good, but 200 was slowing down so I stopped. Stood a little further away from the bar, felt much better.

Now I am going away for a 4 day trip to the tropics, where I will eat and swim, then swim then eat, always waiting 30 minutes between the 2.

Ditto.

starting strength coach development program
    Week 6 something something

holiday was great - swam every day, ate nice food, only mild sunburn. Even got to take my most adventurous kid out for a kayak which was a bit of fun

This week I'm just trying to stay greased up before starting a new program next week. did the following:

Squat
    140 x 5 x 3
    no dramas, depth not an issue

Bench
    110 x 3 - oops
    100 x 5 x 2
    well, not as strong as I thought I was.

Deadlift
    160 x 5
    with straps just because

video: