starting strength gym
Page 27 of 62 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: I Am Martin, of Team Barbell Medicine

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Rask View Post
    dem cramps tho
    Not as bad as the night time dehydration cramps...

You know, you're sleeping well, you wake up and your leg cramps up massively, you have no fucking control whatsoever over it, all you can do is lay there and beg your body to ease up!

25/5/15

BW: 83.5kg - but more likely in the upper 82kg's since I've been eating less than 3000kcal most days last week. This week I've promised to hit my target macros on at least four days, or face the wrath! I know that sounds odd, but I've been doing less than usual this past week (still training hard), appetite has been shit... Fuck it, today is a low day gotta hit 247/329/108. Bring it! Biggest challenge will be hitting a high day on point, but I've sought inspiration for that. As long as my weight doesn't balloon this week, I'll be happy.

Bench - Paused Singles + 1st Rep Paused on Sets

72.5kg x 1
    75kg x 1
    77.5kg x 1
    80kg x 1

70kg x 5
    72.5kg x 5
    72.5kg x 5
    72.5kg x 5
    72.5kg x 5

Tonnage: 2030kg

Overhead Press - 4x6 @ RPE 8

50kg x 6 @ RPE 7
    52.5kg x 6 @ RPE 8
    52.5kg x 6
    52.5kg x 6
    52.5kg x 6 @ RPE 9

Tonnage: 1560kg

GPP

- 10m Chins: 5/5/5/5/3/3/2/2 = 30 total reps +3 from last time
    - 10m Barbell Curls ss/LTE's: 8/5,8/5,8/5,8/5,8/5 = 40 BB curls reps and 25 LTE reps + 3 reps per set on Curls, and +5kg on LTE's.

Notes/Observations:

- Good session, Bench felt really good today. Easiest anything above 70kg has ever felt tbh. That Competition single at 80kg flew up. I've really been focused on tightness and doing lots of upper back work recently. Long may it continue right? 2 plates may not be far away...
    - Press is more refined. I still Press strict but I've been much more concious about keeping my elbows in front of the bar and maintaining a consistent bar path.

26/5/15

BW: 83.3kg

Comp Squat - Singles then 5x5 Volume in predetermined percentage range.

135kg x 1
    138.5kg x 1
    118.5kg x 5 - fast
    120kg x 5 - fast
    122.5kg x 5 - slower, good speed
    125kg x 5 - still good speed, last rep was slower though
    126kg x 5 (this set was RPE 9)

Tonnage: 3333.5kg

Power Cleans - 15 singles EMOM

HPC Bar x 2 x 3
    40kg x 3
    50kg x 3
    60kg x 1
    60kg x 1

65kg x 15 (one fail, called it a debt rep and threw it back in at the end, since I didn't start the timer until after the first Clean. After that miss, my arms slowed down on subsequent singles when racking the bar. This was the first time I have done Cleans in this manner though, it was definitely a fun experience!)

Tonnage: 975kg

Notes/Observations:

- Didn't have time to do intervals or lower body GPP, I do have plenty of time tomorrow, I'm still on time off remember, I'd rather be in the gym than actually taking a real rest day tomorrow. Plan is some GHR's, "Wingate", and such mobility work.
    - Enjoying this format thus far, there are a few things I'd maybe like to modify, such as moving Power Cleans to GPP and having another Deadlift variant on this day, perhaps RDL's or SGDL's utilising RPE. I'm a big believer in the importance of back work, I've got a lot tighter, stronger and efficient recently because of all the pulling I've been doing.
    - Made a "low day" on point yesterday, that's one down out of the four "on point" macro days that Jordan has demanded of me this week ("or you're getting some wrath!")
    - Feeling pretty good about life, somewhat inspired in regards to future. Back to work on Sunday, but it'll be significantly less shitty than it has previously been, thanks to them taking my burnout seriously.
    Last edited by Gerhard; 05-26-2015 at 06:46 AM.

27/5/15

BW: 83.3kg

GPP

- Did a few sets of band pull aparts, some lower body foam rolling.
    - 10m Ab Wheel 5x8 + 5 for 45 reps
    - 6 rounds of HIIT "Wingate" hell.

Notes/Observations:

- I actually felt pretty energetic, but kind of at a loss to really do anything. Realistically, today is supposed to be a rest day, but I curbtailed part of yesterday's session (the GPP stuff) for time reasons.
    - I don't think I'd make a great personal trainer or instructor (I only know the iron...), but I'm really looking into the possibility of getting some accreditation at some point.
    - Returning to work on Sunday, I've been at a loss with all this free time, but I've had some really good training sessions, and had time to rest and get my head screwed back on (so to speak).

I'm going to request MOAR Deadlifting, rather than Power Cleans (they'd make a good fit for GPP in their current form). Why? My Deadlift is my prized possession in the weight room, it goes all fucky fucky if I taper away frequency from it nowadays. I can PC 65kg 15 times, but it's ugly and needs some work. I want to pair up a heavier pull with the Squats on Monday, something like SGDL @ RPE 8 for 4x6, or even RDL's.

28/5/15- AKA Tricep Annihilation Day

BW: 83.1kg

Press - Singles then 5x5 Volume in predetermined percentage range.

55kg x 1
    57.5kg x 1
    50kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5

- Easy, arm racking has improved a lot, Press was feeling good today.

Tonnage: 1412.5kg

CGBP - 4x6 @ RPE 8

67.5kg x 6 @ RPE 7
    70kg x 6 x 4 @ RPE 8

Tonnage: 2085kg

GPP

- 10m Kroc Rows w/35kg DB: 5/5/5/5/5/5/5 = 35 total reps (up the weight next time, consistently good ROM, I like these heavy always)
    - 10m DB Concentration Curls SS w/ LTE's: (15kg DB for curls, 35kg on LTE's) 8/5,5/5,5/5,5/5,5/5 = 28 curls, 25 LTE's (will probably push for more reps on LTE's the next time I do them, a 15kg DB on Conc Curls is actually around my 10RM, I decided quickly to stick with 5's for subsequent sets, since the goal here is never going to failure)

Notes/Observations:

- Feeling good, particularly about my refined Pressing technique. CGBP was alright, not the best (my benching never is), but I felt a lot tighter and more in control.
    - Would be nice to be working with 2 plates + on the CGBP for sets. Next year maybe? Can I make that kind of progress without severe weight gain and/or steroids? Thoughts?
    - Never underestimate upper back work, it's really improved my mobility and Pressing technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Strength_Power_Progress View Post
    28/5/15- AKA Tricep Annihilation Day

BW: 83.1kg

Press - Singles then 5x5 Volume in predetermined percentage range.

55kg x 1
    57.5kg x 1
    50kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5

- Easy, arm racking has improved a lot, Press was feeling good today.

Tonnage: 1412.5kg

CGBP - 4x6 @ RPE 8

67.5kg x 6 @ RPE 7
    70kg x 6 x 4 @ RPE 8

Tonnage: 2085kg

GPP

- 10m Kroc Rows w/35kg DB: 5/5/5/5/5/5/5 = 35 total reps (up the weight next time, consistently good ROM, I like these heavy always)
    - 10m DB Concentration Curls SS w/ LTE's: (15kg DB for curls, 35kg on LTE's) 8/5,5/5,5/5,5/5,5/5 = 28 curls, 25 LTE's (will probably push for more reps on LTE's the next time I do them, a 15kg DB on Conc Curls is actually around my 10RM, I decided quickly to stick with 5's for subsequent sets, since the goal here is never going to failure)

Notes/Observations:

- Feeling good, particularly about my refined Pressing technique. CGBP was alright, not the best (my benching never is), but I felt a lot tighter and more in control.
    - Would be nice to be working with 2 plates + on the CGBP for sets. Next year maybe? Can I make that kind of progress without severe weight gain and/or steroids? Thoughts?
    - Never underestimate upper back work, it's really improved my mobility and Pressing technique
    Nice press volume! How did that feel for you in terms of hardness?

Yeah you could definitely be benching two plates for reps next year if you remain consistent with training and follow macros outlined by Jordan. Honestly, everyone should be able to bench two plates eventually with a good amount of training time under their belt. Benching three plates for reps is another story though...

I agree with the upper back work. It definitely helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Heart View Post
    Nice press volume! How did that feel for you in terms of hardness?

Yeah you could definitely be benching two plates for reps next year if you remain consistent with training and follow macros outlined by Jordan. Honestly, everyone should be able to bench two plates eventually with a good amount of training time under their belt. Benching three plates for reps is another story though...

I agree with the upper back work. It definitely helps.
    Press was really easy. Like no more than RPE 8 all the way through. I've made sets of 3 with 60kg (when I was heavier) and ugly form, grinders. But I'll take today's performance over load on the bar.

Hopefully, I just don't wanna get to 93kg and find I still can't do it!

Yup, upper back work, my new craze!

29/5/15

BW: 82.7kg

Comp Deadlift - Singles then 5x5 Volume in predetermined percentage range. (150-160kg was what I had to work with based on the percentages for volume. It took me the first 3 sets to get comfortable with it, then I went to 155kg for the last two, last set was in RPE 8.5 territory)

170kg x 1
    172.5kg x 1
    175kg x 1

150kg x 5
    150kg x 5
    150kg x 5
    155kg x 5
    155kg x 5

Tonnage: 3800kg

2ct Pause Squat 6x4 @ RPE 8 (I misread or wrote down the wrong fucking thing, ended up doing 6 sets of 4's... But nonethless, it made no significant difference, all I had today for RPE 8 was 2 plates... I cannot effectively Squat after Deadlifting, it's disappointing, but I got the volume in somehow)

100kg x 4 @ RPE 8
    100kg x 4 x 6

Tonnage: 2400kg

Notes/Observations:

- This template does probably need some tweaking (come on... back to Squatting 100kg), but I have enjoyed it overall this week.
    - Had nothing left after those two lifts today, which means I gotta (and can thanks to having the time) go in and get some GPP done tomorrow.
    - Still got two days of "on point macros" remaining, lest I face the wrath of Jordan. Today I've got to do a high carb day, thankfully Travis gave me some pointers.
    - I'll get some data up later, comparing this week to last week in terms of volume, etc.
    - That's officially the most Deadlift volume I've done in a single session in quite a while!

starting strength coach development program
    Weekly Tonnage Comparison:

This Week:

Squat Total: 5733.5kg (2x Frequency)
    Pressing Total: 7127.5kg (4x Frequency, 2 Bench, 2 Press)
    Pulling Total: 4775kg (2x Frequency, Power Clean, Deadlift)

Last Week:

Squat Total: 5745kg (2x Frequency)
    Pressing Total: 8242.5kg (3x Frequency, 2 Bench, 1 Press)
    Pulling Total: 6480kg (2x Frequency)

So yeah tonnage is down, but that's because volume is down and I'm working with percentages and predetermined volume for the big lifts (Jordan saving me from myself basically, to get recovery on point). I guess you could call this week a no stress week?

Page 27 of 62 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast