starting strength gym
Page 1 of 115 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Becoming Unstoppable

Default Becoming Unstoppable

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I've decided to start a log. I've had enough people ask me about my programming that I think it's warranted. I'm a 29 year old (30 in just a couple months!), 6' tall, 215-220lb father of 2, a 1.5 year old and a 2 week old.

I'm running a light deload and a sort of advanced novice LP since I've just had my second and sleep is a rare luxury. Currently, recovery is compromised, but that's real life. I lift in my garage since there are no decent gyms around me, and have assembled a quality facility. It's also nice that I don't have to spend time driving back and forth somewhere since I live in the sticks.

That's enough about me for the first post, on to logging my lifting. Looking forward to any feedback or questions.

Default Advance LP - Day 1

Squat (Deload/LP)
    405 x5
    405 x5
    405 x5

Bench (Medium)
    272.5 x5
    272.5 x5
    272.5 x5
    272.5 x5
    272.5 x5

GHR
    10 x12
    10 x12
    10 x12

Chins
    25 x5
    25 x4
    25 x3

Notes: Everything felt good for my first day back in the gym. Chins need some work, but everything else moved fast and my form felt solid. I need to figure out how to start getting some film.
    Last edited by Cody; 05-17-2015 at 08:12 PM.

We're about the same age and height, but I'm a little heavier and a lot weaker. I'll be following along for some motivation.

in,.. because the log title sounds cool

and 405x4x5 deload for squats is pretty cool, too.

Thanks, gents. I was squatting 500x5 just last month, so I'm hoping to get back up there soon. It's all going to depend on me getting sleep, though.

Default Advance LP - Day 2 (Light Day)

Deadlift (Deload/LP)
    475 x3
    475 x3

Bench (Light)
    237.5 x5
    237.5 x5
    237.5 x5

Squat (Light)
    377.5 x5
    377.5 x5

Seated Press (Assistance)
    155 x8
    155 x8
    155 x8

Notes: DOMS for real. Body can tell I've had a few weeks off. Everything moved easy though, so that's nice - light day is light. Only had 4 broken hours of sleep the past couple nights. Also, got my new General Leathercraft lever belt... I love it. Easily the best belt I've had. Full review to come up in the training forum.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Good to see you logging here. Looking forward to your progress.
    Thanks, Gilchrest. I'm hoping the log both helps other intermediates with programming and keeps me motivated during those days when I'm exhausted and just want to drink beer and/or sleep.

Light day did what light day does- DOMS are completely gone today.

Thanks for responding to my HLM thread--I just ended LP and am figuring out what intermediate programming will work with my schedule. We're the same exact height and weight, but I've got about ten years on you and you've got about one plate on my squat presently. I'm also a garage lifter--too far out in the country to make it to a gym regularly.

Congrats on the baby. I had both of mine before I started lifting, so no advice there except the usual--sleep when you can. And it does get easier as they get older.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony King View Post
    Thanks for responding to my HLM thread--I just ended LP and am figuring out what intermediate programming will work with my schedule. We're the same exact height and weight, but I've got about ten years on you and you've got about one plate on my squat presently. I'm also a garage lifter--too far out in the country to make it to a gym regularly.

Congrats on the baby. I had both of mine before I started lifting, so no advice there except the usual--sleep when you can. And it does get easier as they get older.
    Man you got a good run on LP then! My LP only took me to about a 315 3x5 (I'd have to dig through my excel sheets to know for sure, but that's close). If you're just starting your intermediate run, TM is hard to beat. 5x5 works, but sometimes it's harder on the 40+ crowd (per Andy Baker). HLM is just a good program, and super flexible. I'd keep your deadlift volume low as long as you can make progress with just a set of 5. Be sure to check out Andy's blog posts about HLM, it is a great resource, and what inspired me to run it to begin with.

starting strength coach development program
    YO CODY! I'd like to wish you great success with your lifting and also your little ones. I have two little guys also (both 19 months), so I understand about sleep. Black coffee was (is) getting me through!

Page 1 of 115 1231151101 ... LastLast