starting strength gym
Page 69 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Thread: Bergstedt's Intermediate Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    Maybe you just have one of those "back have decided to hurt for 3 weeks for no apparent reason" things? In your post 666 you wrote that you woke up one morning with your back hurting.

That happened to me just last month, but after a couple of weeks it was fine again. If it is something like that you should be able to train mostly like normal, except it will be very uncomfortable, of course.
    I hope so! And I believe that was maybe what I had until last Monday, when I felt that twinge. But it still feels quite minor, so I'll continue benching as usual and do some type of rehab setup for the squats and deads.

Nice work on the bench, congrats on the PR!
    Thank you!

Default Week 11 Session 3

Squats: 90 kg*5*3 (It is still stiff and it feels ... strange? I'm definitely not 100 % yet, but it feels like it is slowly getting better.)

Deadlifts: 60 kg*25, 65 kg*25, 70 kg*25

Bench press: 105 kg*1*5 (@9,5 on the last single. Since bench is not affected, I decided to give it some more work. Up to 105 kg feels really good, but just increasing it to 107,5 kg makes it feel like a gamble whether I'm going to hit it or not. This is very frustrating!)

Wrist roll-ups: 10 kg*4 sets from standing on a box (This will hopefully keep my forearms happy when I've started grip-training with the CoCs and DOHing lots of the deadlifts again.)

CoC: #T*12*3 (LR), #1*5*3 (R full close. L full close on 2-3 reps per set and then force-closed with slow negatives), #1.5*3*3 (R only. Left had to be force-closed and then slow negatives), #T*10*2 (I've taken up the CoCs again. This was the 4th CoC-workout in 2 weeks, so I'm going to do them twice a week. My game plan is pretty much to do 2-3 warm-ups with the #T, for 10-12 reps across, and then do up to 8-10 reps for 3 sets with the #1 (I increase 1 set with 1 rep each workout until I hit 3*8-10 across) and then use the #1.5 as an over-load, where I try to do as many as possible with the right hand (R) and then the same - but force-close as few as possible - with the left (L). I have bought the #2, which I intend to start using when I can hit the #1.5 for at least 3 sets of 6-8 proper closes. I hope this works out, because it is pretty damn fun!)

I just came back from the physio, who believe that I have a bulging disc between L3 and L4, due to hyperextending my back at some point. I have been given a spinal flexion exercise (to hug my knees moderately hard) to do a shit-load of times until I see him again on Thursday. Hopefully this should help. Otherwise it's apparently just a waiting game. I believe this also means that I'll stop doing the rehab deads, since I've also started getting a pain that is more and more concentrated to around the lumbar spine, with pain radiating down into my buttocks when "tucking my tail between my legs" or hyperextending it. So sitting down is a real pain in the ass (quite literally...) at the moment. But so is standing. And lying down. Being semi-reclined in the couch is probably the only time it doesn't hurt. But that I never have time to do! At least this will give me a valuable insight into actual back pain and how it is to fight through it, which hopefully will be helpful when trying to coach others in the future.

I am also so, so, so (!) glad that I don't have a herniated disc.

bulging disc between L3 and L4,
    Well that sucks!

I am also so, so, so (!) glad that I don't have a herniated disc.
    Good news! You'll get through this!

Well that sucks!
    It sucks balls...

Good news! You'll get through this!
    I know! I am very happy about this news and look forward to getting back to lifting again. In the meantime I have a golden opportunity to do something about my poverty bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergstedt View Post
    It sucks balls...

I know! I am very happy about this news and look forward to getting back to lifting again. In the meantime I have a golden opportunity to do something about my poverty bench.
    You be back, the good thing is, I heard from Rip, everything heals. Good luck with the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by 57bergstrm View Post
    You be back, the good thing is, I heard from Rip, everything heals. Good luck with the bench.
    Thank you, Lasse! And I'm sure I will. It feels a little, little bit better each day.

Default Week 12 Session 1

Last night was our last workout before our meet on Saturday. The back continues to improve each day, even if ever so slightly. Now I am able to reach down below my knees when I get up in the morning, and this morning was the first time in almost 3 weeks that I was able to put on my pants almost the normal way, without dropping them on the floor, placing my feet inside the curled up legs and then gently bending down to fish them up. Victory!

Squats: 100 kg*5*3 (Belt on. I've come to realize that I haven't actually stayed tight enough in the bottom of the squat before, since I have a very distinct cue now, when I don't (PAIN!), which must be seen as something positive coming out of all this. When I buckled down and bore down on my abs with all my might and power, until I felt like my head was going to pop off, I did not only get a pretty magical rebound out of the hole, I also managed to squat almost without pain. As soon as I didn't stay as tight as possible, I realized that I hyperextended my lower back, since there was an instant stabbing pain in the spine around where the presumed bulging disc is located.)

Bench press: 100 kg*1 (@8. An easy single at my intended opener for Saturday.)

Reversed hyoers: bw*15*2 (I did two sets of slow and controlled reversed hypers, being very careful to not over extend at the top, which felt very good afterwards.)

CoC: #T*12*2, #1*7*3 (R full closes, L 2-3 full closes and then force-close), #1.5*5*3 (R only)

Default 2017's Meet #1

Last Saturday was this year's first series meet out of three. I decided to only bench, in order to take it easy with my back, which proved a wise choice, both to spare my back and to have more time to coach and handle my athletes that competed for the first time. We were 15 athletes competing from my PL club, and the meet was long, it was crowded, it was noisy, it was warm, and everyone had an amazing time! They all did very well and I couldn't be more proud, and I believe that we have managed to build a tight-knit group that hopefully will continue to grow - both in size and community.

My own meet went so-so. I went 102,5/110/and failed 115. I already bagged 110 in November last year, and had hoped for at least a small strength increase, but I barely got 115 off the chest. 110 felt better than 12 weeks ago, though, so that's always something. The annoying thing is that bench has been feeling really good and I remember how easy 107,5 kg felt 5-6 weeks ago. Well well - onwards and upwards! The next meet is sometime May 11-21, so the back will hopefully heal up soon enough so that I can start preparing for that.
    Last edited by Bergstedt; 02-28-2017 at 12:29 AM. Reason: too cool for school. So ... spelling

starting strength coach development program
    Good to hear, Levi. Sorry that you didn't get the bench you wanted, but as you said, onwards and upwards!

Hope your back heals up 100% for your next meet!

Page 69 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast