starting strength gym
Page 40 of 87 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: BigA's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Sunday:

Cardio: 3 mins on bike at highest resistance, 200+ watts intensity

The watts is a reliable measurement on the bike. Now that I have figured out a good intensity, it's just a matter of increasing the time. 200+ is actually a decent workout. I didn't push myself to vomit inducing levels but I am still pushing reasonably hard. Eventually being able to do 20 minutes at 200 + would have very good health and recovery benefits. I am noticing my recovery between sets has increased noticeably. After 200 + for 20 minutes, I can increase it by 10 watt increments.

Monday:

Press (no belt): 187.5 x 1, 170 x 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 140 x 8
    Weighted Chin-ups: 7.5 x 7, 5 x 8, 5, 5, 5

Since I am on an 8 day schedule and I won't need to be conditioned for a meet, I think that I can split up the Squat and the SLDL workout. This way, I can be fresh for each of the lower body lifts and if my back is tweaked squatting, maybe I will still be able to SLDL the next day. So my 8 day schedule would look like:

Day 1: Press + chins
    Day 2: HBBS (Volume)
    Day 3: SLDL (Volume) + cardio afterwards
    Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: Press + chins
    Day 6: HBBS (Intensity)
    Day 7: SLDL (Intensity) + cardio afterwards
    Day 8: Rest

The Volume and Intensity designations are me being hopeful that I will be doing them soon. Man, i wish I had the back revolution now. I don't why it's 350 dollars. Demand must be high because there is no way it takes anything close to that to make. The thought of tractioning my spine directly from my pelvis sounds soooo good. I can do a much less effective version of that in my chair by supporting my weight with my arms and letting my pelvis hang loose. If I brace while doing that, I crack my back in a good way and I feel immediate relief. But, if I could do it everyday for 3-5 minutes on the back revolution, it would be awesome. I can't keep paying a chiro every week to do that.

Also, I am considering adding the Close Grip Bench Press to my training. So far, i have only tried regular and it doesn't feel too good on my right shoulder. However, close grip might not bother it and that way, I can actually answer the question "how much ya bench?".

HBBS (no belt + no wraps/sleeves): 285 x 5, 5, 5 (rehab)

I found a set of cue that work for me for the squat. For my own reference:

Break at knees, knees out, master cue

These cues make for quite an upright squat but it feels very comfortable.

Also, I think once I start doing a modified TM for squats, I will do Andy's alternating rung method, plus a volume day. I will increase the volume day by 2.5 pounds. This works out to having my volume day very slowly close the gap to my intensity day. I think it will work very nicely and hopefully for a large portion of my training advancement since it is conservative and super versatile. The rotating reps built into the program keep you unstuck and volume is very easy to adjust if it gets too difficult.

SLDL (no belt + mixed grip): 325 x 5 LS RO (rehab)

I should have gone heavier. It felt like a "medium" day weight. I figured since I squatted yesterday and tweaked my back prior, going a bit lighter would be necessary but my it seems my SLDL doesn't detrain like how my squat does. My squat goes to shit suuuper quickly .

I made one last change to my lifting schedule (when the rehab is totally done). I have HBBS and SLDL volume on separate days but I will put the intensity days on the same day. The alternating rung method only calls for one set so I would basically be doing only 2 heavy sets. This will give me 3 whole days of recovery for my low back.

Friday:

Press (no belt): 187.5 x 2, 170 x 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 140 x 10
    Weighted Chin-ups: 55 x 2, 50 x 2, 45 x 2, BW Chin-ups: 7, 7

Not a great workout overall.

Saturday:

HBBS (no belt + no wraps/sleeves): 295 x 5, 5, 5 (rehab)

I think I finally understood the nature of my squat. I see that it does detrain quickly, however, I can also come back quicker than I thought previously. I should have added 20 pounds instead of 10 today. I will keep this in mind in the future.

SLDL (no belt + mixed grip): 345 x 5*+1 LO RS (rehab)

Cardio: 3 mins x 200+ Watts on bike (at highest resistance)

I wasn't 100% sure that I did 5 reps so I did an extra one 20 seconds after my set. I should have done 355, this weight was too easy. Contrary to the HBBS, my SLDL does not detrain very much. One workout and I'm back to nearly full capacity.

I ordered the back revolution. For your reference, here it is.

I am so ready to effectively traction my spine and SI joint and get back to 100%.

Press (no belt): 187.5 x 1, 170 x 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 145 x 10
    Weighted Chin-ups: 7.5 x 7, 7, 5 (lbs) x 5, 5, 5

Not a great workout today, I didn't feel too great overall. At least I still set some PRs.

HBBS (no belt + no wraps/sleeves): 305 x 5, 5, 5 (rehab)

SLDL (no belt + mixed grip): 355 x 5 (rehab)

+

A lot of moving objects. I got the back revolution.

Press (no belt): 155 x 6, 6, 6
    BW Chin-ups: 6, 6, 6

Very light workout today. I am nowhere near recovered after moving all that stuff (including a very large dresser that we needed 3 people and straps to move). Even the weights i did today felt kind of heavy because my upper body is so tired.

starting strength coach development program
    HBBS (no belt + no wraps/sleeves): 315 x 5, 5, 5 (rehab)

Depth was not good for the first reps of the 2nd and 3rd set, I felt it. I will write more about the back revolution tomorrow. I noticed that I am hesitant to push 100% because of fear of a retweak. I guess there is no other way to get over than to face it head on and keep doing it. I have a few weeks left in me for LP progress I think. I had a little setback before but it's better now.

Page 40 of 87 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast