(Miscounted.)

Press: 5x3 @ 62

Deadlift: 1x5 @ 205

Chins (black band):
    1x6
    1x7 (last 3 jumping)
    1x6 (last 3 jumping)
    1x6 (last 3 jumping)

Matt had me try taking my breath at the top of the press and utilizing the stretch reflex at the bottom. This was pretty weird at first. I think I got the hang of it by the last set. In any case, they definitely look way more badass this way, so...yay?

Deadlift set was faster and felt better than they have in awhile, too. Less time between reps, which mostly just requires me to ignore my thumbs feeling like they're going to fall off and convince myself that no, my heart isn't going to explode out of my chest.

11/13/15

Squat: 1x5 @ 130

Bench: 3x5 @ 79

Deadlift: 2x3 @ 210

Chins (black band):
    1x5
    1x5
    1x5
    1x5
    1x7 (last 3 jumping)
    1x5 (last 2 jumping)

Decided to really focus on doing as many actual banded chins as possible, rather than doing a bunch of jumping chins. Looks like 5 is about my single set max at the moment, though I was able to 4 sets of that, which felt like a big improvement.

Got to lift with (and be spotted by) pertuset (who I met at the recent Seattle SS Seminar) today, which was awesome.

Yay!

Catch-up from this weekend:

11/14/15:

Physical theater training. I.e., my weekly conditioning. 2 hours.

11/15/15:

Massage. I've never been a person to get massages with any regularity, but since lifting more seriously I'm realizing that may have to change. Went to a new therapist who has experience in powerlifting, works with athletes, etc. It was great. He mentioned that in general I have greater-than-desirable resting muscle tone, and particularly in my left pec and trap (near the spine) -- which fits with where I have been feeling some seriously tightness and knots. I already do a fair amount of stretching, so I don't think that's the issue. He suggested being more aggressive with using ice, and perhaps using the sauna at my gym. We'll see.

I'd be interested to hear more about your guy. I love my massage therapist but he just moved to Shoreline, and I'd consider switching to someone I could keep biking to if they were good.

11/16/15:

Squat: 3x5 @ 130

Press: 3,3,3,2,1,3 @ 64

Deadlift: 1x5 @ 210

Chins (black band): 5x5

Press weirdness: 4th set, I lost the 3rd rep forward. Waited a minute and did a single to get the rep in. 5th set was fine, so I think it was just a weird balance issue.

Grinded out reps 4 and 5 of the last three chin sets. Since I am such a chin-up novice, to this point much of my progress has been simply learning how to exert max effort on chins.

Powerlifting dude at my gym asked me to spot him on a heavy bench single today, which made me feel like the biggest badass in the history of the world. Sometimes, it's the little things.

Quote Originally Posted by pertuset View Post
    I'd be interested to hear more about your guy. I love my massage therapist but he just moved to Shoreline, and I'd consider switching to someone I could keep biking to if they were good.
    Brian B at Deep River Bodyworks. It's directly upstairs from BHC, which is a huge plus. Not cheap, but they have package deals I think.

I'm going to be heading to Akron, OH later this week for a weekend of performances with my theater company. Hoping I get in a training session Friday morning, but we'll see. Anyone have a great gym to recommend in the Akron area?

11/18/15:

Squat: 1x5 @ 150

Bench: 3x5 @ 85

Deadlift: 1x3 @ 220

Chins (black band): 5,5,4,4,2

Chins were awful today. In retrospect, probably because I punched up the weights of my working sets across the board today. Monday's squats had some serious knee slide, so the recommendation from Matt was to up the weight. Felt somewhat better today, though the video still shows a little bit of knee slide. Sigh.

Have a red-eye flight to Ohio tonight, with a layover in Charlotte, NC (I know; it's one of those weird "cheaper to overshoot and then double back" flights). Aiming to train Friday morning, but a lot will depend on A) the facilities (there's a fitness center in the same building as the theater I'm performing in, website says they have free weights but who knows), and B) fatigue/jet lag. Lack of sleep is my most reliable migraine trigger, so...fingers crossed.

Crossing fingers with you.

Didn't manage to lift this weekend while in Akron. Ended up being just much busier than I had anticipated. The performances went great, and Akron was lovely. We ate at Swenson's three times and had a great time objectifying the teenage boys as they ran back and forth between cars (it's what that place is known for -- really).

Still super sleep deprived and jet-lagged but will drag myself to the gym tonight.

starting strength coach development program
    11/23/15:

Squat: 3x5 @ 135

Press: 3,2,1,2,1,2 @ 65
    (Supposed to do 15 total reps in as many sets as necessary, but had to stop at 11 reps in order to have time for the rest of my workout.)

Deadlift: 1x5 @ 220

Chins (black band): 5,4,4,3,3

Ridiculously exhausted. Didn't much track my food over the weekend but I was almost certainly low on protein. Anyway, squats were a bit harder than they should have been, press was a hilarious disaster, deadlifts were REALLY HARD but goddammit I finished that set, and chins were actually not nearly as bad as I thought they would be.

Now, sleep.
    Last edited by anniemichael; 11-24-2015 at 12:42 AM. Reason: video tinkering

Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast