• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    11/25/15:

Squat: 1x5 @ 155

Bench: 5,5,3 @ 87

Deadlift: 3x3 @ 210

Chins (black band): 6,5,4,4,4

Bench felt super heavy. Got distracted after first rep of last set by realizing that I forgot to set up my phone to video, so maybe I blame my failure on that...? (No.)

Still some knee slide on squat. GRR.

Much deadlift volume!

11/27/15:

Squat: 3x5 @ 140

Press: 3 sets for max reps @ 65 = 3,2,2

Deadlift: 1x5 @ 225

Chins (black band): 6,6,4,4,4

Hardest deadlift set I've done in a long time. Last two reps were pretty rough as you can see in the video. Still -- first time hitting 1x5 225, which is a fun milestone. And with both my fiance and I deadlifting at the same time, we used up all the 45lb bumper plates in the gym.

Chins improving little by little. Squat felt much better in terms of sloppiness and speed. Press is...press.

Solid deadlifts. Lazy powerlifter advice, if you let the bar down faster I think you would save a little bit of energy. Instead of slowing it's descent, just control the drop.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Lazy powerlifter advice, if you let the bar down faster I think you would save a little bit of energy.
    Ha, yeah I know -- it's something I'm still working on. Believe it or not this is MUCH faster than I used to do my descent. For awhile I was almost catching it on my thighs. But the combination of Rip yelling at me and a big ol bruise just above my knee at the recent SS Seminar I attended was good motivation to fix it.
    Last edited by anniemichael; 11-28-2015 at 02:19 PM. Reason: typo

11/29/15:

Squat: 1x5 @ 160

Bench: 3x5 @ 87

Deadlift: 3x3 @ 215

Chins (black band): 7,7,6,5,5

Awesome session today. Wasn't going to lift today, but decided to take advantage of a reliable bench spotter (aka my fiance) and I'm glad I did. Felt great to get all my FAHVES for 87 after failing it 4 days ago.

Consciously tried to just drop the goddamn bar per melody's advice, and it felt like I was doing that...though the video shows it's still nice and controlled. Even a little slow. The habit stems from being terrified of changing my back angle at the top -- it's totally irrational but I've had it ever since I learned to deadlift.

I have been eating a ridiculous amount of food since Thanksgiving. Which is probably why today felt so good.

Woo hoo! I want to lift w you again so bad.

Nice deadlifts! The bar's definitely going down a lot faster. I get the feeling of wanting to control the descent, though.

Thanks Liz!

And J - you know where to find me.

12/1/15:

Squat: 3x5 @ 145

Press: 3x3 @ 65

Deadlift: 1x4 @ 230
    (last rep fail)

Chins (black band): 7,6,5,5,4

Blech. First deadlift fail, possibly ever. Looking back at the video, I think I just wussed out, plain and simple. Reps 1-4 all look great, and then I just got scared and dropped the stupid thing.

starting strength coach development program
    12/4/15:

Squat: 1x5 @ 165

Bench: 1x2 @ 97, 1x3 @ 95

Deadlift: 3x3 @ 220

Chins (black band): 8,6,5,5
    plus a couple attempts with the green band (darn you, hubris).

Knee slide crept back in a little on squats, but otherwise they felt great.

Bench was kind of a disaster -- I was trying for a 3RM, but there was nobody around at that time to spot me, so I did it in the power cage for the first time. Had to do the shimmy of shame out from under my third rep at 97. Of course, like three dudes came over to the weights area as soon as I had finished.

I was scheduled to lift yesterday, but took an extra rest day due to some weird, kinda sharp pain in my right glute (felt pretty deep in there, but my anatomy knowledge is...lacking). By last night it had resolved itself.

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast