starting strength gym
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: socket's crooked log

Default socket's crooked log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been reading these forums for a while, and I recently got some encouragement to start a log, so here I am.

Stats
    Male
    29 years old
    6'
    ~200 lbs

To make things more interesting, I have a pretty significant case of scoliosis. My spine makes an S with a 50ish degree upper curve an 40ish degree lower curve. It's made things a little more challenging, but I'm still able to do all of the movements and make progress.

Background
    - October 2013: Started lifting with a trainer doing the basic lifts.
    - May 2014: Stopped using the trainer and started the SS novice progression, but without eating properly.
    - Sept/Oct-ish 2015: Stupidly switched to 5/3/1.
    - Feb 2015: Did a coaching session with Beau at Westminster Strength and Conditioning. Got some great feedback on my lifts, and he convinced me to hop back on the novice progression and eat more.
    - Did TM for a month or two at some point in here.
    - October 2015 - Present: Started working with Jordan on nutrition and programming.

Current 1RMs
    - Squat: 350
    - Bench: 205
    - Deadlift: 495 (May have been on a deadlift bar...not totally sure. It was in a local deadlift competition.)

3/15/16

First squat session in my garage gym!

BW: 201.5
    Macros: 572/570 C, 83/84 F, 199/200 P

Comp Squat
    275x4 @ 7
    285x4 @ 8
    300x4x4 @ 9

These felt pretty good. I started off the session not feeling that great, but each set felt better than the last. Some of those 9s may have been 8.5s. I still don't trust myself fully on RPEs.

2 Count Pause Bench
    120x3 @ 9 - oops
    110x3 @ 7
    115x3 @ 8
    120x3 @ 9
    117.5x3x2 @ 9

About a month ago, my bench took a nosedive (not that it was ever great). After talking with Jordan, it seems to be due to a long period of low volume causing some detraining. Due to a number of factors (including a small injury), I ended up doing 6 weeks of low volume. Hoping that things come back during this developmental block.

2 Count Pause Deadlift
    275x3 @ 7
    285x3 @ 8
    295x3x4 @ 9

Got pulled into a 15 minute meeting after the second set. These felt pretty good - I'm really loving the Ohio power bar. I think I might have overestimated the RPEs here again.

I'll be following along with your log.

Do you have any pictures of your garage gym? How did the platform construction go?

Hello. Checking in to follow along.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    I'll be following along with your log.

Do you have any pictures of your garage gym? How did the platform construction go?
    Welcome and thanks!

The gym build was a success. There wasn't much lateral slope, so we decided to try shimming with hardboard before pouring the self-leveling underlayment. We were able to get it level just with the shims, so I didn't end up needing the underlayment. There are some spaces between the shims that have potential for bowing, so if that happens, I'll go back and do it "right" with the underlayment. In retrospect, I wish I had just manned up and poured it, but I'm still happy with how everything turned out. Thanks for all of your help!

Quote Originally Posted by bean counter View Post
    Hello. Checking in to follow along.
    Hi! Thanks for checking in. I'm subscribed to your log, too. It's cool to see the similarities and differences among the BBMers.

3/16/16

BW: 200.0
    Macros: 453/460 C, 92/94 F, 201/200 P
    Macro updates from Jordan: +20g carbs on lifting and HIIT days, split between the pre- and post- workout meals.

HIIT
    7 intervals (:20/1:40) of elliptical sprints on max resistance
    The resistance didn't go high enough on this elliptical. There's another one at the gym that works better, so I'll have to grab one of those next time. They also have a prowler, but it was taken and I didn't have time to wait. I'm searching craigslist for used Airdynes.

AMRAP Chinups
    32 reps in 10 minutes (+1 rep over PR)
    I stole anticausal's idea of using an interval timer for these and it worked really well. I tried doing 1 rep every 15 seconds, but had to skip some intervals. I may try 18 or 19 seconds next time and try to LP the interval down week to week.

Planks
    7 rounds of 30 seconds in 10 minutes
    I usually do leg raises at the gym on the contraption that supports your forearms, but I went home after doing HIIT so had to improvise. I'll think stick with doing something at the gym until I have a good idea for what to do at home. I really like the ab wheel, but I think that might be what's jacked up my upper back a couple of times.

Thought this might be interesting for some, especially anyone else with scoliosis who might be reading this. I did a lot of searching on these forums on the topic and found lots of helpful advice.

These are my x-rays from Sept 2014:

Quote Originally Posted by socket View Post
    Welcome and thanks!

The gym build was a success. There wasn't much lateral slope, so we decided to try shimming with hardboard before pouring the self-leveling underlayment. We were able to get it level just with the shims, so I didn't end up needing the underlayment. There are some spaces between the shims that have potential for bowing, so if that happens, I'll go back and do it "right" with the underlayment. In retrospect, I wish I had just manned up and poured it, but I'm still happy with how everything turned out. Thanks for all of your help!
    Looks good. I would have shimmed if I could have, but there is a high spot in my garage floor right in the middle of where I wanted to put the platform. I tried to think of a lot of ways to avoid pouring the underlayment but in the end just realized it was the best solution.

You might want to glue the shims in place, if it's possible. I've read other people's accounts of them moving over time.

Thumbs down

3/17/16

BW: 200.0
    Macros: 448/450 C, 93/94 F, 199/200 P

Comp Bench
    115x4 @ 7
    125x4 @ 8
    130x4 @ 8.75
    135x3 @ 10 (failed 4th)
    135x1 @ ? (say back down soon after the failed rep and did this out of frustration)
    135x2 @ 10 (convinced myself if I stayed tight I could get this easily...was wrong).
    125x4 @ 9
    115x4 @ 9

Super frustrated with my bench. Looking back over my logs, I'm seeing 175x4 @ 8, 175x4x2 @ 9 at the end of January, and couple weeks before that, 180x4 @ 9, 175x4 @ 8.5, 175x4 @ 9. Not good numbers by any means, but to now be failing 135x4 is quite frustrating. I'm more than a little worried that something is wrong beyond just detraining. I e-mailed Jordan a few minutes ago for advice. Maybe I'm just being impatient with building back up after the long period of low volume.

2 Ct Pause Squats (no belt)
    255x3 @ 7
    260x3 @ 8
    265x3 @ 9
    265x3 @ 9
    260x3 @ 9
    250x3 @ 9

These felt OKish. My PR on these is 275x3, so a little off tonight.

Snatch Grip Deadlift
    135x7 @ very easy

This was my first time doing these. Unfortunately, I've had some pain/tightness in my upper back under my right shoulder blade, and these were triggering it. I could also feel the pain on the 2 count pause squats, especially right after re-racking the bar.

Overall, a really lousy night. I'm hoping Jordan can set me straight soon.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Looks good. I would have shimmed if I could have, but there is a high spot in my garage floor right in the middle of where I wanted to put the platform. I tried to think of a lot of ways to avoid pouring the underlayment but in the end just realized it was the best solution.

You might want to glue the shims in place, if it's possible. I've read other people's accounts of them moving over time.
    Yeah, I still think underlayment would have been the best solution for me. There are a lot of things I would have done differently if I could go back in time, but at least I learned a lot for next time.

Re: shims, we put them between the first and second layers of plywood, so they ended up getting screwed in. Of course, this means my platform is now only built for one specific spot in my garage.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast