Deadlift:
    520x5x2

Rope Pressdowns:
    108x15,15,12

Cable Curls:
    90x15,14,10

Lateral Raises:
    20x12,11,10

The pump is real. Pressdowns and cable curls were on the cable crossover machine, which has multiple pulleys (it's enclosed so I'm not even sure how many), so who knows what the actual resistance was. Much lighter compared to the same weight on the single-pulley stack. Also this is the first time I've done cable curls, and the resistance curve felt really weird to me.

Second set of squats at 430 was pretty grindy. First set of deadlifts felt unusually hard, but the second was easier.

Squats (didn't even notice the beach-ball leg raises going on in the adjacent rack until I watched the video at home):

Hahahahaha! How do you train with these kind of people around you without getting distracted and laughing? Hey, maybe you should try exercise-ball hanging leg raises, because it's probably a lot more functional than squatting 430x3x2.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Hahahahaha! How do you train with these kind of people around you without getting distracted and laughing?
    It's a challenge sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    That's it, I'm doing those leg raises in my next video. But I'm going all the way up, like a real man.

I assume you've seen the mainpage thing on shims?
    Yeah, at this point I'm sticking with the platform just to annoy you guys

4 Day Split Week 1 (5/14/17 - 5/20/17)

Wednesday:

I've got some DOMS going on so I decided to skip the BW chins today. Might be better to keep Wednesday as a full rest day from lifting anyway. Might put the chins on Friday instead... not sure yet.

I did go for a bike ride though, from Riverside Park, up the White Pine Trail and back.

Bike Ride:

1:18:00
    14.51 miles
    11.16 mph avg

Thursday:

Press:
    195x4x4 (PR) - another technical PR due to switching to 4x4... but I'll take it

DB Row:
    80x14 - Last entry for these was last July when I was doing 80x10, so I guess this is improvement
    90x10x2

Bench:
    245x4x5 - these went better than I thought they might, 5 min rest and no spotter needed

Barbell Curl:
    90x10

Decided to skip the bro shit today since my triceps have been sore all week but there was a 90lb fixed-weight bar laying on the floor, seemingly abandoned, next to the bench I was using... so naturally I picked it up and banged out a set of curls before leaving the gym.

Press:

Weight Loss Update (Week 5 - 5/19/17)

Actual BW: 270 (no change)
    Moving Average: 271.9 (-1.6)
    Waist: 44" (no change - I think I logged this wrong last week, I put down 44.25 when it should have been 44)
    Avg Calories: 2696/day

Total Change since 4/14 (4 weeks):

BW: -6.8lbs
    Waist: -1.25"

So I've been weighing myself daily for three weeks and I'm going to keep doing it. It's very enlightening to see how my weight can fluctuate by several pounds from one day to the next, and by weighing daily and using an average I can really take the guesswork out of whether or not what I'm doing is working and how to make adjustments. If I had just been weighing myself once a week I would have thought that I nothing was happening and that need to cut calories further, but in reality my average weight is still trending downward at 1.6lbs/week.

I was initially just calculating the weekly average with a calculator, then I made a spreadsheet to make it a little easier, but then I found an app (iOS) called "Happy Scale" that will automatically import my entries from My Fitness Pal and calculate a moving average and graph a trend line:

It calculates the moving average with some exponential formula rather than a simple average of each week like I was doing, and takes into account data points older than just the last seven days. This means that the number will always lag behind where my "actual" weight is, but the rate of change is the important thing that I'm looking at. The simple weekly average is more "up to date" but in the long term the moving average might be more predictive... I'm going to keep doing the weekly average for a while at least just to compare the two but I'll be recording the moving average from the app here.

It's interesting to see from the graph how there seems to be a "step" pattern forming where the weights sort of fluctuate around one level and then rapidly drop to the next, but the overall trend keeps going down. My weight has been right around 270-271 all week so I'm guessing it will drop down fairly soon. Hopefully the waist measurement goes with it. I've noticed a similar pattern with that as well.

Ok, I'll stop nerding out over weight loss tracking.
    Last edited by Tim K; 05-19-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Friday:

Deadlift:
    580x3x2 (PR) - Next week will be triples with six plates. Neat.

CGBP:
    185x8
    195x8
    205x8x2

Squat:
    390x5x4 - have I mentioned these suck after deadlifts?

BW Chins:

Dips:
    BWx8

I think I did close grip bench once or twice 7 years ago. So pretty much first time, had no idea what weight to use. I'll be doing 3x8 across going forward. Really felt these in the triceps. Grip was about 1 inch from the smooth.

I decided to try dips as well. I got 8 reps and could have gotten 2-3 more I think but they were not feeling great on my shoulder so I stopped. These were between the 2nd and 3rd set of chins, which might have something to do with why I only got 5 on the last set. Not planning to do them regularly.

Deadlift:

Last edited by Tim K; 05-19-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Next week will be triples with six plates. Neat.
    Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Awesome
    No doubt. I both love and hate your deadlift strength, just as I both love and hate myself.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by broseph View Post
    No doubt. I both love and hate your deadlift strength, just as I both love and hate myself.
    Haha, thanks. Replace "deadlift" with "bench" and this is something I could have posted on your log.

Page 33 of 52 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast