starting strength gym
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy's Quest for 5/4/3/2

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just kidding. Good work. Training in a different gym is always a little stressful to me. I don't know where things are, I don't know the dumb policies that are ok to break or bend, I don't know if I'll find a competent spotter... Good for you on making it work.
    I totally agree here. Unfortunately I travel about 40% of the time for work...so no choice. I did find some gems out there. But nothing beats your normal gym. Where you trust people and don't have to watch your shit like a hawk....and you know the rule etc.

Ironically, my wife just joined an XSport right near our condo in Chicago. 24 hour access, etc. My gym (B&W...awesome black iron gym in Chicago) has light weekend hours, so I tried the Xsport today. I almost signed up as a supplement for times I can't get to my gym before they close...but there was so much bait & switch with what they told me over the phone vs when I was about to sign...that I ended up walking out. Plus although they had 3 real squat racks (Hammer Strength)...their bars & plates sucked. And the squat rack pin spacing was really off for me.

Its always funny to me that these gyms buy these HUGE Legend or Hammer Strength squat racks that probably cost 2+ grand...when they could just but a whole bunch of Rogue R3s or R4s for half the price....and get much better utility out of them.
    Last edited by Randy Scheingold; 01-19-2017 at 10:14 PM.

1/18 – Week 85 – Day 1 (week 20 with Karl)

Press VD - 147.5x5,5,5,5,4 (couldn't get that last rep...)
    Squat 275x1 (was supposed to be 300x5x3
    CGBP - 135x3 (was supposed to be 190x6x3)

I've been working up in Advanced Noticed (Heavy Light Heavy Light) on squats since a big reset after a major bout of food poisoning right after thanksgiving (talking dehydration, 4 hours in the ER getting IVs, etc.). Came back after that and lost about 20% of my strength on squats. I took that reset from 245x5x3 to 295x5x3 (my 5 Rep Max is 300lb)....Failed 300x5x3 a few days ago. Gave it another shot and regressed further. Feeling beat up, so Karl and I have agreed its time call it on the Advanced Novice and go back to my 4 day Old Man TM.

For the Presses, I think we over did the volume a bit. I did 147.5.x5x3 on Sunday as a supplement. then did another supplement of 150x5x3 (tying my 3x5 PR) on Tuesday night. And today at Noon, I did the 147.5x5x5 (tying a 5x5 PR)...minus that last damn rep. Its not too surprising that I was gassed for CGBP.

But tomorrow (really Sunday..next workout) is a new day.

My guess (waiting for Karl to confirm) is that we will do the following:

DL - 335x5 (5 Rep PR Attempt)
    Squat VD - 270x5x4 (with a target of 300x5 as my first ID)
    Chins or Pulls

Almost forget. I had some birthday money from Aunt & Uncle (yes...I'm 41, but I still get gifts from them...nice...!). I used it today to order the Captains of Crush starter set, which comes with the Trainer, Level 1 and level 2 grippers. From what I gather, I may need to stop at the Level 1.5...but we'll see. I'm too much of a wuss to make hook grip work for me. And my Mixed Grip is holding up fine actually. But I'd like to be able to keep my Haltings 1x8 to DOH. I was able to do that at 270 this week, but in past weeks had to switch near the end to mixed at 260x8 & 265x8.

Plus...who doesn't want an awesome grip. Seems to be a pretty practical demand for more strength as well.

1/22 – Week 85 – Day 2 (week 20 with Karl)

Squat - 290x5 (borderline depth, but in slow motion I think its there on most reps... ugh...depth...my nemesis.)
    DL - 335x5 5 Rep PR! (finally hit a new PR for DL, and these felt very strong...I wish I would have set my back a little more, but I get in my head on heavy DLs and rush the set up a little bit). I know its not much by most standards here...but I believe my DL programming is finally on track...for the first time since LP. I'm looking forward to gains for a while here.
    Chins - 15 - 3x5 (felt strong, but haven't chinned in 2 weeks so didn't want to push it)

Also - I started BCAAs yesterday. Hopefully they help with my constant recovery challenges.
    And...I'm back on the macro tracking wagon again. This time I intend to make it stick. I'd like to get down to 190lb. I'm doing the fat loss macros now, but slightly skewed towards lower carb & higher fat.

Programming Updates - We are officially back to old man TM..or a version of it at least. basically a combo of 4 day TM + old man TM

Tues
    Press ID - 160x5 (5 Rep PR Attempt)
    Supplemental Bench - 180x5x3
    Chins - 3x8 attempt (I did this a few weeks ago, goal is to repeat it and then start adding weight)

Randy those pulls look fast! Nice PR. Are those 100 pound plates on there?

Thanks David! they felt good...although Karl pointed out I hitched that 5th one a little bit. But I definitely felt strong on these.

Yep. those are 100lb plates. B&W cleaned up the DL area a bit. It is separate form the Olympic area (as always), but they have 4 platforms ready to go at all times:
    2 Power Bars - 1 with 45s, 1 with 100s on it
    2 DL bars - same 1 with 45s, 1 with 100s
    Plus a few mats with trap bars with 45s in between

So everything is ready to go for you. Saves a ton of time and effort trying to get ready for your lifts. Delfino actually built/donated 2 of the new DL platforms...which are real nice.

1/19 – Week 85 – Day 3 (week 20 with Karl)

Press ID 160x4,2 This is a PR at 160...was supposed to be 160x5...but just barely missed that 5th rep (video below). Previous Rep PR was 160x3.
    Bench - 180x5x3 (just a warm up to get ready for my Bench VD on Saturday...205x5x5)
    Chins - 20 - 6,7,7

3 days in and Macro tracking is still going well. Goal is to get to 7 days first...then 21 days. If I can hang on for 21 days my appetite will shrink and I'll have engrained the habit. Plus I should lose 5 or 7lb by then....which will give me more motivation.

Videos
    Press Set 1 (4.75 reps

Press Set 2 (2 reps)

Bench Set 2

And...for the record....Being an intermediate sucks...I have to earn every freaking PR I get.

also, its official...my 290x5 squats were high again. drat. I'm going to get some compression shorts (sorry everyone has to see my videos ). but these will prevent me from playing mental games regarding finding my hip crease.

A few blasts from the past:

here I am 18 months ago...much skinnier (good motivation for my fat loss cut), but with HORRIBLE DL form.

here's a set of squats from the same month. complete with 5 inch high reps, rounded back, slightly high bar in nature...and head popping up on every rep...plus too wide a stance

Well...my gains may be slow for 18 months into the program. But thank god for SSOC...my form is drastically improved!

1/26 – Week 86 – Day 1 (week 21 with Karl)...my weeks/days are off...I'll reset them next week

Squat VD - 260x5x4
    Press - 152.5x5x3 (3x5 PR!)
    Halting DL - 275x8 (PR & all DOH - Let's celebrate those PRs...even the small ones like Halting DLs)

Notes:
    Squats - Wore my singlet so I could really assess depth. I believe i got 20 solid reps! Sorry for the nasty visual everyone At least it is motivation for my cut....
    These felt heavy, but went fast.
    Slight head popping up
    Grip was solid, focused on pinching my shoulders together which helped the weight feel better supported

Press - Not easy, but I wasn't going to fail any of these.
    Noticed when I get the bar too far in front, I need more layback to get it up. Need to keep the bar close.
    Focused on grip, which felt better than usual

Halting DL - Hard, but mostly because I forced myself to do DOH for all reps

Nutrition
    - Still on track

Videos:

Squat - Set 4 (this was my Highest set). Still legit I believe

Press - Side View - Set 2

Halting DL

Also, got my Captains of Crush today! I can close the Trainer once or twice with my Right hand. About a 1/4 in shy from closing my left....how humbling. I also got a 1 and 2. We'll see if I need to add the .5 & 1.5 to the mix. I am super excited about getting started with these. Will do these once every 5 days (basically Halting on Day 1, CoC on Day 3, DL ID on Day 5, Coc on Day 8, repeat...)

starting strength coach development program
    1/26 – Week 86 (week 21 with Karl)

Squat 225x5x2
    Bench 205x5x5
    CGBP 185x6x3
    Chins 8,7.75, 7
    CoC Trainer Level - 3x3 each hands + 3 second static hold

Squats -
    - Warm ups felt\looked like shit. Still had some DOMS. Got better by my late warm ups
    - Shoulder \ elbows felt pretty good
    - Depth perfect
    - When I lean over more, I am better with my head. Need to remember that. Still hesitant to do this on heavier sets though.
    - 5 min rest

Bench
    - Wrists were a little sore & felt weaker....probably due to fucking around with my new CoC (Trainer, Level 1 and Level 2)...need to put them in the gym bag and not use them when I'm not supposed to.
    - Heavy at lift off (no lift off, did it myself)...if I ask for a lift off...I will probably be able to secure a few more rounds of 5lb jumps.
    - Minus the lift off, they felt good
    - Touched lower on my chest as my shoulders have been hurting when we tried to have my touch higher on my chest.
    - Tried to focus on heels down/leg drive
    - 5 min rest

CGBP
    - No problem, felt much easier than regular bench...I think my triceps are stronger than my pecs....
    - 3 min rest

Chins
    - set 1: 8 solid reps (after squats)
    - set 2: 8 reps..but last one was probably 2 inches shy (in between Bench sets)
    - set 3: 7 solid reps (after CGBP set 1)

CoC Grippers - Trainer Level
    - I couldn't even close this with my left hand on Thursday when they arrived.
    - then I watched some videos on how to set them, and figured it out.
    - I could have probably done more....but since I don't have a warm up pair of grippers..I kept it conservative
    - I'll go for 3x4 in 5 days...and add 1 rep per time until I get to 3x10 or something...then I'll start the Level 1.

Nutrition
    - Still tracking, and doing well with it
    - Officially down a little in weight & waist
    - I'll log every Monday to keep that consistent
    - Finding a solid protein...that is not whey or vegan has really helped my compliance
    - Still on the BCAAs too

Excuse the tight shirt! I got a 2nd grip shirt...same size as my first, but must be a different cut. Once I'm done my cut (want to lose 23lb total)...it will look much better

Squat Set 1

Bench Set 2 Side View

CGBP Set 1

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast